Dynadot

discuss Post ideas why you have not invested into 4 letter .net-s

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Have you invested into 4 letter .net-s?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Ok, there are so many 4 letter .net lover threads out there.

Lets discuss why its a bad idea nad waste of money.

I start.

1) there is no end-user demand for them

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do speak Russian fluently. They often transliterate it as "nyet" to show that "n" sounds differently from English "n"...
OK, if only for that reason, because if they write net, some foreigners may not understand it doesn't mean network, but simply, no)

•••
Old school mindset. Seriously ?

So the Chinese all woke up at the same time ? Hmmm. And now they are even buying .co and .cm domains. They, I mean domainers. Are Chinese speculators representative of Chinese end users at large ? This is the question.

The problem is always the same, millions of domains are for sale, but end users are few and far between. This has not changed.
When domainers buy domains at inflated prices due to speculation and frenzy, it only makes resale more difficult. Some people won't be smiling when the music stops.

In domaining history tends to repeat itself. In fact domaining history is littered with shattered dreams, collective bubbles, and even more individual bubbles since the very early days.

There's nothing wrong with oldschool mindset, is it? It means experience.

Chinese buying most of it, LLLL, LLLLL, digits, that is fact. We need to think what is the reason of it and how it will influence the market. Amount of end-users may not changed as significant as amount of Internet users, but amount of available domains in major zones like .com and .net indeed changed.
Chinese seems to be oriented to their own market. It means when end-user will want certain name, they either will try to reach Chinese owner and get no reply, or get a quote of XX,XXX. We can forget about domains that went to China, if I'm wrong on this, please provide me facts of end-user buying from Chinese owners.When majority of short domains is taken off the market and unavailable that rises the price of remaining ones.

Every major domain bubble can be linked to economical crisis: 2001, 2008. Until we don't get into crisis mode, "bubble" like you call it will continue. I prefer to call it bulls market or buying period. Amount of cash people able to make helps the buying, many made serious money in 2015 and will continue to buy hoping to make more, but it's Chinese and economy who will decide the fate of this market from now on.

Here's good article to help understand why Chinese buy at the scary rate:
http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/gordon-g-chang/china-imposes-new-capital-controls

Last edited:
•••
Chinese are not oriented to their own market only. Otherwise their would be 5n, 6n, llll.cn buyout. Which I doubt has happened.

•••
Chinese are not oriented to their own market only. Otherwise their would be 5n, 6n, llll.cn buyout. Which I doubt has happened.
It means they buy domains to sell them to other Chinese investors in Chinese market.
You don't see Chinese reselling domains at SEDO and Flippa, do you?
They move .com, .net, .cc domains to Ename and trade them at Ename, 22.cn and 4.cn auctions.

•••
Yes, they trade among themselves, but they have chosen as their chips a global unit, not their local unit. Does it tell you something?

•••
there is certainly some cooling down to see,
https://www.namepros.com/threads/kmbl-net-bin-140.890634/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/budn-net-llll-net-pot-domain-social-network.890898/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/lot-18-chinese-llll-net-2-vcvc-net-nzjs-net-more.890986/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/egsy-net-usuk-org-hugd-net-pupd-net-for-sale.889765/

no bids whatsover

also I see in 4 letter .com-s
nicer ones still go for up to $1300, but the avarege looks like $1000-$1150
if you sell 2-3 together, you may still get $1200 each or so minus fees

Last edited:
•••
there is certainly some cooling down to see,
https://www.namepros.com/threads/kmbl-net-bin-140.890634/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/budn-net-llll-net-pot-domain-social-network.890898/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/lot-18-chinese-llll-net-2-vcvc-net-nzjs-net-more.890986/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/egsy-net-usuk-org-hugd-net-pupd-net-for-sale.889765/

no bids whatsover

also I see in 4 letter .com-s
nicer ones still go for up to $1300, but the avarege looks like $1000-$1150
if you sell 2-3 together, you may still get $1200 each or so minus fees
The first link, is the only one that have a price that offer opportunity to be sold pretty soon for profit.
In fact it is already sold.

others have a too high price according with this period and we have to remember that there are no big chinese reseller on NP (at least IMO)

•••
13). I have seen .com version domain selling for $10k, and the .net still available. I have seen .com sell for $3200, then registered the .net and tryed to sell it to the .com owner. The .com owner told me to f*ck myself
We own about 70 - 80 .COM keyword domains that the exact match domain in .NET, .ORG or ccTLD are established businesses (some even large companies) with developed websites and running on those extensions mentioned above and over the last 5 years we proactively reached out to this businesses trying to sell them the PREMIUM version of "THEIR" domain and we haven´t closed a deal ... All, and I mean 100% of those contacted businesses replied that why should they pay for a .COM domain name when they could handregister their keyword on a .NET, .ORG or ccTLD ??? An some of them told us that they don´t believe a domain name can be worth more than registration fee ($10). What do you think about this guys ??? (Most of this .COM domains we own are between 10 and 18 years old continously registered ...)

•••
We own about 70 - 80 .COM keyword domains that the exact match domain in .NET, .ORG or ccTLD are established businesses (some even large companies) with developed websites and running on those extensions mentioned above and over the last 5 years we proactively reached out to this businesses trying to sell them the PREMIUM version of "THEIR" domain and we haven´t closed a deal ... All, and I mean 100% of those contacted businesses replied that why should they pay for a .COM domain name when they could handregister their keyword on a .NET, .ORG or ccTLD ??? An some of them told us that they don´t believe a domain name can be worth more than registration fee ($10). What do you think about this guys ??? (Most of this .COM domains we own are between 10 and 18 years old continously registered ...)
1 above all, if they do not own the COM they surely lose some customer that go typing the com address.

•••
But do they? With that kind of owners, probably they have their websites as business card there with no other use, they don't promote it, they don't use it. And mistypes are only small percent of a site's real traffic.

•••
1 above all, if they do not own the COM they surely lose some customer that go typing the com address.
YES, we do receive quite good type-in traffic from those domains but there´s no way to educate the owners of the matching keyword in outher extensions, about that ...

•••
There's ways like showing them the detailed traffic stats, redirecting it to competitors, running adult site on domains.
Many ways to convince the stubborn..

•••
There's ways like showing them the detailed traffic stats, redirecting it to competitors, running adult site on domains.
Many ways to convince the stubborn..
Well, in this cases "showing them the detailed traffic stats" didn´t worked and running adult websites on those domains definitely is not our way to do business ...

•••

.cn run and controlled by the Chinese government... Just like the RMB, the stock market and Chinese real estate -- it's the exact reason Chinese investors are flocking to the globally neutral "currency" of .com (primarily).

•••
I wonder who will use all this domain they register. thats madness.

•••
It means they buy domains to sell them to other Chinese investors in Chinese market.
You don't see Chinese reselling domains at SEDO and Flippa, do you?
They move .com, .net, .cc domains to Ename and trade them at Ename, 22.cn and 4.cn auctions.

and thats good for value? and makes them more desirable? I mean trade between each other.

•••
If someone still has doubts that there is a very big bubble going on. And it all ends with a big bang.

Thats crazy, they buy now .cc, .cm etc.. everything.

They have nothing to do with them. there will never be so many buyers to justify that kind investments.

I think they have no idea what they are doing.

•••
@domeen

Why to have this hatred in first place. Everyone have their own belief and gut feeling.

You invest in whatever you believe and let others do their business.

•••
@domeen

Why to have this hatred in first place. Everyone have their own belief and gut feeling.

You invest in whatever you believe and let others do their business.

freedom of speech.

and registering random no meaning domains is not business.

•••
Well, all i can say is enjoy the freedom.

•••
Well, all i can say is enjoy the freedom.

I have no hatred.
I am just warning you guys, if it falls, then don´t cry that noone didn`t warn you

•••
Domeen is actually doing a service to many newbies not to speculate and not to become victims of potential ponzi. At least it has to be calculated risk.

•••
I mean trade between each other.

yes, and this is highly profitable: if i reg a domain today and sell it for $50 plus reg fee to you, i make $50 profit. next day you sell me back for $100 - you make $50 too. now we made both $50 each... then enters a "Chinese investor": wow, price's risen 100% in a day, i definitely want to invest! no problem, its only 100 bucks apiece.. ok, ill take two...
"investor" goes away with a "premium" name, everyone is happy, new "investors" crawling in...

•••
I think november 2015 goes to the history books for some Chinese families as the day they lost all theyre money investing into domain names.

•••
yes, and this is highly profitable: if i reg a domain today and sell it for $50 plus reg fee to you, i make $50 profit. next day you sell me back for $100 - you make $50 too. now we made both $50 each... then enters a "Chinese investor": wow, price's risen 100% in a day, i definitely want to invest! no problem, its only 100 bucks apiece.. ok, ill take two...
"investor" goes away with a "premium" name, everyone is happy, new "investors" crawling in...

thats the new normal. Chinese know what they are doing :)
1.4 billion people need a lot of domains.

thats actually a little sad.

But then again I get rich, so why I have to do the BAD guy who dosen`t let guys here make money.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back