Domain Empire

status-review Regarding "Domain Industry News"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
Hi, regarding the Domain Industry News section. Many times I am perplexed by the various threads posted there, they seem merely an excuse to link to someone's blog without providing any real meat to NP.

I find it kind of misleading, actually. You visit the thread only to find literally two or three sentences (and copy/pasted at that) that are from an outside source, along with a link taking you outside NP to have to find out that the author is talking about.

It's all fine and dandy to have your own site and to want to promote it's content, but there's a section for that, and it's under "Promotional". I mean really, what's the difference between any of it then? The line between something being a "service" and something being "news" is cleverly blurred by merely where it is the point of revenue is hope to be attained.

There's a couple of regular NP's whom do this, using the section almost as "click bait" I find. Shouldn't there be a sort of higher standard to post in a section? And what I mean by that, is the OP should put together a proper, article- sure it can be curated to a degree; of REAL industry news. A link at the end of the article to the source is fine, but only if the article properly summarized and we are not forced to have to leave NP to really find out.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/fi...6-x-ll-com-domain-names.1194592/#post-7810213

https://www.namepros.com/threads/la...usiness-the-first-steps-domain-names.1194550/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...-stick-to-what-you-know.1194234/#post-7806853

By the examples being set, basically I guess I can write an article on my own blog on what DN subject I've chosen, then come on over here to NP and create a thread in DN Industry News, copy/paste the first couple sentences and wrap it up with a link to my blog so that readers are forced to visit in order to finish reading.

At least, let's put some effort into it and make sure it's actual news! Creating a new article for yourself on your own blog does not in and of itself qualify as "Industry News". Just wanted to voice this, it's been perplexing me for a while now. I would like to see the section used less for blog advertising and more for properly written/condensed articles on actual happenings in the industry.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not sure about this but I think all of that is "by design" it's been like that before you or me ever got here. So it must be like that for a reason you would think yea?

I "suspect" domain industry news posts are perhaps "arrangements" between NP and those news outlets.

Reciprocal links?

"Hey you got a domain news outlets? Let's exchange links. But to make your link look more natural why not post articles in our threads to add some value to our website and you can get a natural backlink from us you can control. In exchange we need you to backlink to us from your site."

To you it looks not "meaty" but I suspect the above has always been the set up.

Try replicating these news posts on here. I suspect it will get flagged or a backlink will be requested. Maybe ...

Or you will need to pay extra to do such a post.

But that's my guess.

•••
Hi, regarding the Domain Industry News section. Many times I am perplexed by the various threads posted there, they seem merely an excuse to link to someone's blog without providing any real meat to NP.

I find it kind of misleading, actually. You visit the thread only to find literally two or three sentences (and copy/pasted at that) that are from an outside source, along with a link taking you outside NP to have to find out that the author is talking about.

It's all fine and dandy to have your own site and to want to promote it's content, but there's a section for that, and it's under "Promotional". I mean really, what's the difference between any of it then? The line between something being a "service" and something being "news" is cleverly blurred by merely where it is the point of revenue is hope to be attained.

There's a couple of regular NP's whom do this, using the section almost as "click bait" I find. Shouldn't there be a sort of higher standard to post in a section? And what I mean by that, is the OP should put together a proper, article- sure it can be curated to a degree; of REAL industry news. A link at the end of the article to the source is fine, but only if the article properly summarized and we are not forced to have to leave NP to really find out.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/fi...6-x-ll-com-domain-names.1194592/#post-7810213

https://www.namepros.com/threads/la...usiness-the-first-steps-domain-names.1194550/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...-stick-to-what-you-know.1194234/#post-7806853

By the examples being set, basically I guess I can write an article on my own blog on what DN subject I've chosen, then come on over here to NP and create a thread in DN Industry News, copy/paste the first couple sentences and wrap it up with a link to my blog so that readers are forced to visit in order to finish reading.

At least, let's put some effort into it and make sure it's actual news! Creating a new article for yourself on your own blog does not in and of itself qualify as "Industry News". Just wanted to voice this, it's been perplexing me for a while now. I would like to see the section used less for blog advertising and more for properly written/condensed articles on actual happenings in the industry.

I think I can chime in here. Domain Industry News bascially became Namepros answer to Domaining.com a place to get stories out there where someone wrote it and included it on Namepros.

Not all links and stories are produced by the owner of the blog. Like your example here,

I posted that, I am not the owner of the blog, they are not a member here.

The other thing that Namepros ran into years ago was other people copying and pasting full articles from blogs, which was just going to result in DMCA takedown requests.

I get where you are coming from, you don't want to click to leave Namepros. Content creators are basically saying you are not going to steal my content and publish it on your site ala Google Snippets providing no incentive to visit the site that provided the content.

In addition, some, not all, I can't speak for everyone, do post news links to sites they have no affiliation to.

There is no pay to play, Namepros has never asked for anything to publish there, and when something does not fit it's moved.

Last edited:
•••
It's all good, having back links to each other in the spirit of support, or even historical "arrangements", but I'm talking about posting something as "Industry News", when it's not. And more importantly when it is news, having a nicely condensed form of the event in your own words shows effort and makes for some good reading. Not really plagiarism in that regard, provided a link/credit is given to the original source if an NP member wishes to explore in greater detail or gather more specifics on the subject.

Just a bit of venting on the matter, as I do enjoy the Industry News but more often than not am disappointed that the post is basically barebones. I would definitely be visiting outside sources of my own volition, not because I was forced to. Say if I was impressed with the way the OP presented the Newsworthy piece, I would be more inclined to explore more. But for the most part, when it's a "click-baity" sort of thing, that's it I'm out of that thread.

Understood though, as Whoa says, more to it than meets the eye perhaps.

•••
It's all good, having back links to each other in the spirit of support, or even historical "arrangements", but I'm talking about posting something as "Industry News", when it's not. And more importantly when it is news, having a nicely condensed form of the event in your own words shows effort and makes for some good reading. Not really plagiarism in that regard, provided a link/credit is given to the original source if an NP member wishes to explore in greater detail or gather more specifics on the subject.

Just a bit of venting on the matter, as I do enjoy the Industry News but more often than not am disappointed that the post is basically barebones. I would definitely be visiting outside sources of my own volition, not because I was forced to. Say if I was impressed with the way the OP presented the Newsworthy piece, I would be more inclined to explore more. But for the most part, when it's a "click-baity" sort of thing, that's it I'm out of that thread.

Understood though, as Whoa says, more to it than meets the eye perhaps.

Well I would agree with you that if we are focusing on "Industry news" it's not always that. Like I used to always post the Sedo sales report there and the mods asked for that to go to buying and selling section.

Ron Jackson's post is allowed because it incorporates more than one sales venue.

That's fine, and I have obliged.

I can say the traffic to that post on Namepros and the number of click throughs from Namepros on that post are down, now the post overall sees the same strong views on TheDomains.

If something just focuses on one company technically that's not news and should go to reviews, no one ever wants to do that because unless it's Epik there is hardly the same number of page views.

Now let's also look at Namepros and blogging overall. Few outside of here contribute here, meaning most bloggers don't contribute much here, by that I mean content confined to here, no bragging just keeping it 100, I have contributed more to the namepros community over 15 years than anyone else who is posting their links in industry news.

I commend those that use it because they realized this is a way to get traffic. Domaining.com is not cheap if starting out, to get on Domaining.com going to cost you $1,200 - $1,500. So people want traffic, or else why are they blogging?

So you see when not looking at the literal interpretation, "Industry news" just became the place to place articles you wrote or found somewhere else outside of domaining. Now look if I wrote something but got a decent amount of source material from Namepros I will not post it in Industry news. Because Namepros motivated the article.

I can tell you there is no relationship, any member here can post actual content that meets the criteria. Namepros has never asked for content to be posted there either. There is no monetary benefit to anyone. The benefit the blogger reaches some people who never read any blogs.

Last edited:
•••
@HotKey

Thanks for bringing this up.

The title of the section reads: Daily updates of hand-picked news - so I initially assumed that this section was somehow tied-in with the NP crew.

I agree with your the sentiment that some of the news is rather thin.

I'd really like to see some meaty copy that is longer that the standfirst, and some investigative journalism occasionally.

Also, I've noticed that NP members posts are sometimes being used as a source of inspiration and information. I think it would be a good idea to give credit where due.

Anyway, good luck to you guys. It can be a conversation starter if done well :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back