Dynadot

information Registrar employees or reps please respond How would you have handled it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
With the ongoing situation with Brent Oxley and the lockdown of his domain names it's important for domain investors to know how other registrars would act, so please let the community know if given the same situation, what your company would have done? silence will be very telling.

@Dynadot
@namedotcom-jon
@epik
@sav
@Ross from Porkbun
@Mike Robertson Fabulous
@namesilo

Any any other registrar reps that are on Namepros

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's odd @Dynadot have not replied here.

In my experience they're not very fast to respond publicity or privately regarding legal issues. Slow legal department I guess.

•••
When they log in, they will have gazillion notifications about this. Relax.

•••
When they log in, they will have gazillion notifications about this. Relax.

Plenty relaxed, it's interesting some want GoDaddy to have an army of people responding on Namepros and another registrar hasn't logged in for a week.

•••
Did NameSilo respond yet?

•••
•••
My post here was deleted where I was trying to draw attention to the lack of response by the Registrars' Reps at "Demanding for change in the domain Industry" thread.

It seems that all the big players look after each other's interest, it's only the Registrants Rights that get trampled on here.

@Paul Nicks
@Joe Styler

IMO

Last edited:
•••
The one thing that we sometimes overlook is where the money is made. For example if you look at Brent. He has a great portfolio worth millions but for GoDaddy 300 or 400 .com domains that get renewed at $9 a year is not much money to them, they are not gaining from the proceeds of sales unless he hires their brokers.

The company that hosts two sites, pays retail, NON DDC for regs and renewals and will buy other products has a greater value.

It does not justify anything violating registrant rights of course but it shows where their bread is buttered.

•••
The one thing that we sometimes overlook is where the money is made. For example if you look at Brent. He has a great portfolio worth millions but for GoDaddy 300 or 400 .com domains that get renewed at $9 a year is not much money to them, they are not gaining from the proceeds of sales unless he hires their brokers.

The company that hosts two sites, pays retail, NON DDC for regs and renewals and will buy other products has a greater value.

It does not justify anything violating registrant rights of course but it shows where their bread is buttered.

It is also where a lot of money is going to be lost, where these actions greatly damage GoDaddy's credibility especially with the investment community.

Less domains there = less sales they take a % of.
Less domains there = less domains they auction on expired.

Not to mention if people ditch GoDaddy, they are probably going to stop bidding on their auctions also. It is not like end users are driving very many sales on expired auctions.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Not to mention if people ditch GoDaddy, they are probably going to stop bidding on their auctions also. It is not like end users are driving very many sales on expired auctions.

There is where the answer lies, I have had many a person tell me "I hate GoDaddy, but I will bid on GoDaddy auctions because that's where the expired domains are!!!"

Like the old asking Willie Sutton why he robbed banks? Because that's where the money is.

If domainers are willing to give that up and let Huge Domains just own everything that would be interesting and it's the key to this story domain invesors vs GoDaddy.

•••
No one has anything against the Registrars (and Registries) making their money in a fair way,

But when we have all these complaints about customers and Registrants Rights being trampled on by almost all Registrars and Registries in one way or another then that's where we have to draw the line.

It's no secret that I am a fan of Godaddy and that I have had most of my domains there for a long time as a hobbyist and collector, but even I have no tolerance for them sniping a domain that I just hand registered and give it to someone else or perhaps keep it for themselves.

Sometimes it makes me wonder how some Registrars manage to accumulate this super big portfolios for themselves, I know that they can make some large deals or do takeovers of other companies, but I believe that a portion of their portfolio is made from domains that they have wrongfully taken from their customers or from those who have done a domain search for availability.

ICANN clearly indicates that Registrars and Registries should not be in Direct and Aggressive Competition with their customers, but it looks like a lot of Registrars have become collectors of domain names themselves and do not hesitate to take their customers domains away from them anyway that they can as we are witnessing with the short renewal and redemption periods that some Registrars provide for expired domains.

It's no wonder that @Paul Nicks and @Joe Styler are not responding to my concerns mentioned in the "Demanding for change in the domain Industry" thread, because they know very well that their automated system has sniped my new hand registered domain and is either going to auction it off or add it to the Namefinds portfolio.

If they are doing this to a longtime fan and loyal customer like me then there really is no hope for any reforms in the domain Industry.

And this is not the first time that I have lost a valuable domain name over the years, the only difference is that now I am documenting them with evidence.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
No one has anything against the Registrars (and Registries) making their money in a fair way,

But when we have all these complaints about customers and Registrants Rights being trampled on by almost all Registrars and Registries that's where we have to draw the line.

It's no secret that I am a fan of Godaddy and that I have had most of my domains there for a long time as a hobbyist and collector, but even I have no tolerance for them sniping a domain that I just hand registered and give it to someone else or perhaps keep it for themselves.

Sometimes it makes me wonder how some Registrars manage to accumulate this super big portfolios for themselves, I know that they can make some large deals or do takeovers of other companies, but I believe that a portion of their portfolio is made from domains that they have wrongfully taken from their customers or those who have done a domain search for availability.

ICANN clearly indicates that Registrars and Registries should not be in Direct and Aggressive Competition with their customers, but it looks like a lot of Registrars have become collector of domain names themselves and do not hesitate to take their customers domains away from them anyway that they can as we are witnessing with the short renewal and redemption periods that some Registrars provide for expired domains.

It's no wonder that @Paul Nicks and @Joe Styler are not responding to my concerns mentioned in the "Demanding for change in the domain Industry" thread, because they know very well that their automated system has sniped my new hand registered domain and is either going to auction it off or add it to the Namefinds portfolio.

If they are doing this to a longtime fan and loyal customer like me then there really is no hope for any reforms in the domain Industry.

And this is not the first time that I have lost a valuable domain name over the years, the only difference is that now I am documenting them with evidence.

IMO

Build your own registrar then and compete with the Gorilla. No offence. I don't like it either but at the end of the day, they were there first, invested and are now reaping what they sow. It's business. Not some philanthropic organisation.

To me it reads like people complaining about the likes of Rick, having it easy, it was supposedly easy to build a great portfolio back then. No it wasn't. And no it wasn't easy for GD to become as big as they are now.

Do I like GD? Hell no. But to some extent they earned their benefits.

Do endusers like us, domainers? Hell no. They despise ICANN for allowing us to do what we do. We're just a small cog in the bigger picture that defines the internet. And they are probably right. It all depends on who you're asking.

That being said, I'm surprised you're derailing your own thread. Even more so, making claims without backing that up with cold hard facts, all just hearsay.

Edit: I misspoke, this isn't you're thread. I confused it with your other thread regarding a similar subject that seems to be going anywhere except for the topic being discussed in the OP.

Last edited:
•••
Build your own registrar then and compete with the Gorilla. No offence. I don't like it either but at the end of the day, they were there first, invested and are now reaping what they sow. It's business. Not some philanthropic organisation.

To me it reads like people complaining about the likes of Rick, having it easy, it was supposedly easy to build a great portfolio back then. No it wasn't. And no it wasn't easy for GD to become as big as they are now.

Do I like GD? Hell no. But to some extent they earned their benefits.

Do endusers like us, domainers? Hell no. They despise ICANN for allowing us to do what we do. We're just a small cog in the bigger picture that defines the internet. And they are probably right. It all depends on who you're asking.

That being said, I'm surprised you're derailing your own thread. Even more so, making claims without backing that up with cold hard facts, all just hearsay.

Edit: I misspoke, this isn't you're thread. I confused it with your other thread regarding a similar subject that seems to be going anywhere except for the topic being discussed in the OP.

The first sentence in my post says:

"No one has anything against the Registrars (and Registries) making their money in a fair way,"

Them ignoring all our concerns is making me go over the edge a little bit,

But don't worry, I am still willing to give a chance to all those who truly want to bring some reforms to the Industry.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
The first sentence in my post says:

"No one has anything against the Registrars (and Registries) making their money in a fair way,"

Them ignoring all our concerns is making me go over the edge a little bit,

But don't worry, I am still willing to give a chance to all those who truly wants to bring some reforms to the Industry.

IMO

Fair enough. And I actually agree. Same here. I get worked up over nonsense like what they're pulling off just like you ;)

I agree reforms are needed. ICANN was never ment and designed to be dealing with everything that's going on today, and the way in which the namespace evolved.

Reforms are needed. And more importantly, reforms to protect real world endusers. Even though I am one, investors come secondary. If they make us a
priority at all. The namespace as we know it is in danger, and has been for a while, because ICANN is neglecting to defend the things that really matter.

Circling back to needed reforms, long term this neglect will endanger any domain investor as it will make alts gain more traction and they will inevitably become something to be reckoned, devaluating 'legacy' TLDs. It may not happen for years, but change will come, that's inevitable.

•••
it's the key to this story domain investors vs GoDaddy

Hi Ray

to me,
when registrars like Enom started ClubDrop, which later became Namejet _
then at that point....they became "domain investors" too.

it took an "investment", to launch and maintain that platform, which became a profitable model.
then they partnered with others, to secure more inventory and establish an effective marketplace to resell by auction, expiring/deleting domain names.

that model was basically adopted by all registrars to the point where now, it has become the SOP.net, for releasing those domains to the general public.

so, when i see them as domain investors too,
then it makes more sense, when some of the things they... do are done.

:)

imo...

•••
ICANN clearly indicates that Registrars and Registries should not be in Direct and Aggressive Competition with their customers,

@biggie

So even if we accept the Registrars and Registries as being domain investors too, but they should only be in a low key and passive competition with their customers (Registrants) and not be actively and aggressively going after everyone's domains.

IMO

•••
Plenty relaxed, it's interesting some want GoDaddy to have an army of people responding on Namepros and another registrar hasn't logged in for a week.
you have no idea how many notifications and PMs I get :) I try my best to respond to what I can and help where I can. It is important to me because we all know

•••
you have no idea how many notifications and PMs I get :) I try my best to respond to what I can and help where I can. It is important to me because we all know

Yes Joe I know that was not directed at you, we were wondering where Dynadot has been?

•••
@biggie

So even if we accept the Registrars and Registries as being domain investors too, but they should only be in a low key and passive competition with their customers (Registrants) and not be actively and aggressively going after everyone's domains.

IMO

Hi

if, you accept or agree with the opinion....
then, as investors
they can do anything you can do, but with more resources.

and
since they can operate under rules, that i can't change or alter
then, can't say what role they can, should or cannot play, in this game of domaining.

cuz, most times, i'm just happy to still be in it, too

as for actively and aggressively going after your names:
some may be going after your domains and you may not realize it,
as the passivity of it - may slip by your spider senses.

registrar wars, create domain transfers.
and discounts at opportune times
along with public discord
can move the crowd.
but that's talk for a day in the future

puff puff

still, the thing is
if they don't do it, then somebody else will, ya heard!
and they, might not be governed by "any body", for accreditation, that you might be able to appeal to

so, you take the good with the not so good or bad, in some cases.

imo...

•••
Hi

if, you accept or agree with the opinion....
then, as investors
they can do anything you can do, but with more resources.

and
since they can operate under rules, that i can't change or alter
then, can't say what role they can, should or cannot play, in this game of domaining.

cuz, most times, i'm just happy to still be in it, too

as for actively and aggressively going after your names:
some may be going after your domains and you may not realize it,
as the passivity of it - may slip by your spider senses.

registrar wars, create domain transfers.
and discounts at opportune times
along with public discord
can move the crowd.
but that's talk for a day in the future

puff puff

still, the thing is
if they don't do it, then somebody else will, ya heard!
and they, might not be governed by "any body", for accreditation, that you might be able to appeal to

so, you take the good with the not so good or bad, in some cases.

imo...

So are you saying that we should accept the status quo in the domain Industry regardless of what some Registrars or Registries might be doing that could be effecting their customers (Registrants) in a negative way.

I am not sure that the rest of the domaing community is going to surrender to the status quo so easily,

In any Industry things can go out of control if there are no rules and oversight to stop abuse and overreach,

lets make a comparison between the domain Industry and the medical field:

Would it be right to put the Patients (the Registrants) completely at the mercy of the Pharmaceutical Companies and Hospitals (Registries and Registrars).

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Would it be right to put the Patients (the Registrants) completely at the mercy of the Pharmaceutical Companies and Hospitals (Registries and Registrars).

Aren't we, the patients, already though? :)

•••
Aren't we, the patients, already though? :)

Both the Patients and Registrants have Rights that need to be respected in their perspective fields.

No Surrender. :xf.wink::angelic::xf.smile::xf.grin::)

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Fair enough. And I actually agree. Same here. I get worked up over nonsense like what they're pulling off just like you ;)

I agree reforms are needed. ICANN was never ment and designed to be dealing with everything that's going on today, and the way in which the namespace evolved.

Reforms are needed. And more importantly, reforms to protect real world endusers. Even though I am one, investors come secondary. If they make us a
priority at all. The namespace as we know it is in danger, and has been for a while, because ICANN is neglecting to defend the things that really matter.

Circling back to needed reforms, long term this neglect will endanger any domain investor as it will make alts gain more traction and they will inevitably become something to be reckoned, devaluating 'legacy' TLDs. It may not happen for years, but change will come, that's inevitable.

For most registrars, end-users are the market; not domainers. Especially, not when we are always on the lookout for the next good deal for registrations and renewals. End users are the ones that pay for all the bells and whistles.

So, left for them, registrars will rather deal directly with end-users, thereby, becoming the ultimate domainers.

This is especially evident with ngtld and their premium pricing. Why allow domainers register premium names for $10 only to mark it up and sell to end-users when they (registry/registrars) can mark it up from the beginning?

•••
Both the Patients and Registrants have Rights that need to be respected in their perspective fields.

No Surrender. :xf.wink::angelic::xf.smile::xf.grin::)

IMO

Lol. That analogy doesn't quite work for me

Last edited:
•••
While we cannot comment on speculative future circumstances, we can confirm complaints are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Dynadot requires official court orders from our jurisdiction, Northern District of California, USA before taking remedial action against a domain.

•••
Give me a favor!
Is GoDaddy's CEO currently an Indian?
Will this case involve complex issues that we are not aware of?
That is the question that is also my answer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back