IT.COM

question Does .ai domain have Grace Period?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omelet

Top Member
Impact
One of my ai domains was just expired in the morning. I intent to renew it as I saw .ai has 31 day grace period. But the Epik manager said no.

So my question: Does .ai domain really have a grace period and can they be renewed?

My chatting record:

Hi, my name is Brian. How can I help?

yousent​

Hi Brian, I have checked that .ai domains have 31 days of grace period.
I got many domain friends told me that expired .ai domains that are in grace period can still be renewed within 30 days

Briansent​

Thanks for checking back in. I appreciate the added details and research. I double checked the status of the domain and I can confirm that it has expired. I no longer have access to the option to move it back to your account like I would be able to with a different type of TLD. I'm really sorry for the disappointing news; I wish there were more I can do but this particular type of ccTLD looks to be handled differently than some other TLDs.

yousent​

every registrar follows the same rules. 31 days of grace period is for every .ai domain.
You rejection might conflict against the ICANN policy

Briansent​

I checked to be sure as I'd like to help you wherever I can. I do not have access to sending this domain back to your account, it is not something I can do at all because of the state of the domain. It's still available to be redeemed from within your account but I can not send it back with my tools. Sorry I can't do that for you, I would if I could.

yousent​

I registered the domain in 2022 Feb 9. And with 31 grace period, the domain should be able to renew until 2024 March
Can you report to your senior manager? I think you must respect the policy
I am sure you are not telling a truth.

Briansent​

Thanks for the added information. I had mentioned we sent you a few renewal emails. We notified you of the renewal date in those emails and of the danger of not renewing, that is that the domain would be deleted. Sorry that the date has passed but I'm no longer able to send the domain back since that date has passed. I'm happy to pass along your feedback and I'm sorry for any disappointment.

yousent​

It's nothing about the renewal notice. It's about the law. The domain is able to renew at regular price as it is.
Do you understand what grace period is?
Are you saying at Epik, you don;t offer Grace period?

Briansent​

I appreciate your concern. I can assure you we operate within regulations and all the rules appropriate to any given ccTLD. As I had mentioned the domain has been deleted. I no longer have access to sending it back to your account; I do not have the capability because of the status of the domain. Were it prior to the expiration date we had notified you of in the emails I could work with the domain but it has been deleted so I no longer have access at all. I'm sorry I can't access it and send it back. The only option is to redeem it from within your account.

yousent​

I am asking you do you know the 31 day grace period, and does Epik offer Grace period ?
Please answer me the grace period question

Briansent​

The grace period we offer can vary depending on the type of TLD. We discuss our general grace period here but the individual rules for any given ccTLD determine the handling for those domains: https://www.epik.com/support/expired-registration-recovery-policy/
It looks like this particular ccTLD is associated with Anguilla and they have some information here: http://whois.ai/faq.html
One entry of note: What happens if we don't pay for a domain? First note that any domain past due may be deleted. You should not count on any grace period.

yousent​

Usually there is 30 days where it is "suspended" and DNS does not work but it can be renewed for the regular price.
uploaded file

Briansent​

It sounds like that may apply in this particular situation. The actual rules for any ccTLD can vary like I mentioned so we can use general guidelines to make assumptions about what the handling can be but the details and end result can vary so it's important to always double check. We noted in our email to you this:
Due to specific registry rules, the domains listed above do not follow ICANN's grace renewal policy and will be deleted on 2024 Feb 07.

yousent​

uploaded file

Briansent​

We made sure to include that information since the handling of this ccTLD is a little different and we know it's important information for you to have. I can assure you I've double checked my options and I us don't have the ability to send the domain back to your account. The only option is to redeem it like I had mentioned.

yousent​

Hey I think you are not managing my case in right

Briansent​

Thanks for the screenshots, I think we need to take the statements in context. Here is how I interpret it:
First note that any domain past due may be deleted. You should not count on any grace period. Usually there is 30 days where it is "suspended" and DNS does not work but it can be renewed for the regular price.

yousent​

I believe I am not treated fair.

Briansent​

We can read that as "usually there is a grace period with a lot of domains but we must note that the domain will be deleted if past due so we can't count on the usual circumstance here"
This is plainly stated and very important: You should not count on any grace period.

yousent​

Sorry I don't agree with you. May I talk to the senior manager or the top management?

Briansent​

No interpretation is necessary on that portion and I'm sure you can understand why we send you the notification warning that the domain would be deleted. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment and I want to help you how I can but I just do not have the ability. I do not have any option to send the domain back to your account. It is not possible. The only option is to redeem it from within your account.
You're talking to the right person, I'm an expert and I'm a manager of your account and your experience. I've reviewed the situation and I can assure you this is the correct answer.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Seems quite clear cut....... Looks like Epik don't offer Grace periods for .ai domains.....

You highlighted the part below I underlined to argue your case, when in fact you should of paid closer attention to the part I highlighted in Bold as it's the very first thing that's mentioned......

He even said they warned you of this in the emails they sent you - can you share a screenshot of one?

1. What happens if we don't pay for a domain?
    First note that any domain past due may be deleted. You should not count on any grace period. Usually there is 30 days where it is "suspended" and DNS does not work but it can be renewed for the regular price. Then there is 60 days where it is "pending delete" can be restored at an additional cost. On epp.whois.ai you need $140 to restore and also $140 to renew and the renew must be done on the same day. After the 60 day pending delete period it goes into the auction pool. For more information see auctionfaq.html. Our system's count of the days is the official count, you should not push the edge and complain if you thought you had another day.
Looks like your either pay the redemption fee or lose the domain.....

•••
•••
Another reason not to use Epik.

•••
•••
Yes, when a .ai domain expires, there's usually a grace period. During this time, which is typically 30 days, you can renew the domain at the regular price without any extra fees. It gives you a chance to keep your domain without paying more than usual.

•••
•••
Get a copy of the grace policy. And the last date it was revised if you can.
Of both the .AI domain registry and your register.

Sounds like a legal matter so keep all records of all conversations.

Do not lay down, get legal representation if it matters. None of us can fix this.

It is likely a computer programming error and has a backorder on it set at the wrong timing period.

The folks you are talking to likely can not get past that kind of error so take it upstairs anyway you can.

Check the status of the name in the registry. If it reads 'redemption period' demand redemption.

Just my thoughts based on what you presented.

•••
Hey everyone, I wanted to share a little nod to the iconic 'Soup Nazi' scene from Seinfeld with my domain name uoyrofpuoson.ai that I posted the other day! It's actually 'No Soup for You!' spelled backwards. Seriously though, I thought for sure that after reading such a ridiculous .ai domain that someone would have figured it out. I thought it would be a fun way to draw a comparison between the strict rules of the .ai domain registry and the strict rules enforced by the soup vendor in the show. Unfortunately, my post got removed for "showcasing domains." Hopefully, you can see the connection I was trying to make!

•••
Epik? Really?

every registrar follows the same rules. 31 days of grace period is for every .ai domain.
You rejection might conflict against the ICANN policy

First, no, not every registry follows the same rules.

But, more importantly, ICANN policy has nothing to do with .ai registration policies. The .ai TLD is a country-code TLD, not a generic TLD over which ICANN exercises policy control.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back