IT.COM

Sedo - Money grab?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
"There will be a change in the process for submitting domains to GreatDomains auctions, starting with the upcoming GreatDomains auction to be held in July. An application fee of $10 will be charged for each domain submitted. This fee will not be reimbursed, regardless of whether the domain is accepted or rejected. Charges apply"

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I noticed. Greedy!

It would not be a problem if they would be fair with approving domains for Great domains auctions, or at least if they would have educated team who DO KNOW which domains are good and which are not.

They insulted me when they rejected some of my domains and when I saw some which they accepted. Clowns.

•••
Their site is so godawful.

Except for posts like this I forget they even exist. Is Sedo still relevant?

•••
I can see the need if they get a lot of domains.

As others have said in the past, Great Domain auctions are pretty bad. Good domains can get rejected while they approve a lot of junk that doesn't even get bids.

Now if you combine this with the recent anytime auction feature - which I haven't heard a lot of people say is doing sellers any good - then it looks like sedo is trying to get revenue any way they can.

•••
Their site is so godawful.

Except for posts like this I forget they even exist. Is Sedo still relevant?

They sell a lot of .de domains which makes sense since that's where they're from.

After screwing up their search engine they've fixed it so the most relevant results now show first, but it still shows a lot of junk.

•••
I think they are struggling. Marketplace auctions currently have only 40 reserve met auctions most of which are under $500.

The anytime auctions smacked of desperation and seem to have failed. GD-To grab at $10 per name to have the tea lady look at them and decide is pathetic.

Their support is awful, their competition is increasing, from personal experience they cannot retain staff. Does not bode well.

•••
The application fee makes it so 'domainers' are paying sedo to have to do less (smaller and supposedly higher percent quality entry list) It's a win win for sedo.

Loss for domainers that don't want to pay to play.

I am trying to remember what year I started to laugh when I got the GreatDomains emails. Two-three years ago? Longer? I cant remember now it's been so long. How about you?

•••
The other problem is their reserves. Some domains I've submitted are conditionally approved, based on an extremely low reserve. Maybe that's changing though. The auction that ended today had a lot of LLL.com's with high reserves that didn't sell.

•••
I think they must be getting too many applications for crap domains. The fee is the first filter.

People complain about the quality of the auctions, but somebody has to bring good inventory, that is priced right. If you look at the anytime auctions: most domains are very low quality and not viable (plenty of oddball extensions).
And I imagine that the owners send to auction what they think are their best domains...

•••
wow, $10 for a decision which could be done in few seconds to few minutes. I am out of this game.

•••
Since I am in Europe they charge me 10 EUR for each submission, although my domain prices are in USD.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back