Domain Empire

Short hyphens

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi NP'ers: Interested in some opinions on the value of short (3 or 4 letter) dotcoms with a hyphen. There are some available out there but I'm a little hesitant on venturing in because of the "hyphen". I realise that 3 letter domain names are scarce, and good 3 letter domain names are even harder to come by but am having a difficult time determining how much a negative effect the "hyphen" would have on them.

I just thought it might be a different direction to go in, instead of investing in lengthy dotcoms.

Hoping to get some feedback.

Thanks for looking!

ST

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The main thing I find bad about having a hyphen in a domain is people finding the domain. They will sometimes misspell the domain.

•••
Agree. Some names just look good with a hyphen but they are few and far between and already taken for the most part. Thanks for the feedback DaZ884.

ST

•••
Although it could depend on the specific domain name, I would say that generally the hyphen(s) kills just about any value, IMHO.
A quality, meaningful and albeit lengthy domain name would be preferred, in comparison. Just because they're "short" (including the hyphens), does not make them valuable or highly sought after. Three "letters" (no hyphens) are very solid ... four "letters" (no hyphens) are a mixed-bag, depending on the specific ordering.
Best of Luck.

•••
I was hoping I would hear from you CH.
Makes sense.
Thanks.

ST

•••
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
Although it could depend on the specific domain name, I would say that generally the hyphen(s) kills just about any value, IMHO.
A quality, meaningful and albeit lengthy domain name would be preferred, in comparison. Just because they're "short" (including the hyphens), does not make them valuable or highly sought after. Three "letters" (no hyphens) are very solid ... four "letters" (no hyphens) are a mixed-bag, depending on the specific ordering.
Best of Luck.

I would disagree to a point. There is a whole market for names with hyphens in them. There is a school of thought that the hypens will increase search engine visability.

As many times as I tell clients that SE's like google have the ability to parse names they still feel that the hyphens will help their positioning. They get this from SEO's and read it in places like WMW

While you won't get major bucks for them, they will still provide for quick turn around and fai profit.

•••
Originally posted by Coastalguy
I was hoping I would hear from you CH.
Makes sense.
Thanks.
ST

You're welcome. :)

Originally posted by CenterPoint
... While you won't get major bucks for them, they will still provide for quick turn around and fai profit.

Agree, for the most part. :)
Just wanted to reinforce the point that a hyphened three letter domain name in the Reseller namespace would have but a teeny fraction of the value of a non-hypehened three letter domain name. Certainly, in many cases, they can be used as you've described, CP ... and sometimes with much success. From an investment perspective (assuming the poster means "different direction to go in" :$: within wholesale), I would generally recommend longer, more relevant and meaningful domains, in comparison.
Good stuff.

•••
Interesting, Paul. I plan on reg a few. What the heck!

Thanks.
ST

•••
Interesting, Paul. I plan on reg a few. What the heck!

Thanks.
ST

Be selective, IMHO. :D

•••
I agree you have to be very selective about any domain with hyphens. Sticking basically to common search terms.

•••
Agree. Some names just look good with a hyphen but they are few and far between and already taken for the most part. Thanks for the feedback DaZ884.

ST

Also its quite hard to tell someone the name of your domain if it has a hyphen. I have seen some successful hyphen domains though. I think its ok if it has 1 hyphen but 2 or 3 goes overboard.

•••
You know some domains with
(letter)-(letter).com that are available?

If so, PM me and I will send 50 NP$/name I reg from your list.

•••
couldnt help noticing you only have 27NP$ Kohashi.. ;)

Personally, I think some are great, and do make sense. I think it's Dot leader who has CZ-Nation.com which is quite nice imo.

Still, as CH and CP say, be very selective :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back