Domain Empire

Snapnames changes the rules ( for some* )

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mr-x

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Snapnames has silently changed the rule for "Available Soon" auctions. In the case of a single bid, the names where transferred to the bidder. Now, the names are made available to ** ANYONE ** who wants to bid. So beware, there is in effect no advantage to bidding on "Available Soon" domains, it just cost more.

Thank you for contacting us.

We have recently made some changes to some of our auctions for domains released to us by Register.com and Moniker. The names that have expired and gone through the Grace Period without being renewed at either of these two registrars will be released to us regardless of the number of backorders that we have for them. They will be placed in three-day public auctions, so any one of our customers can bid on the names.

Unfortunately, we have not yet had a chance to update the website to reflect this new auction type. Please accept our apologies for the confusion and the frustration this must have caused.

Thank you,
Dorothy Placencio
Client Services Representative
Oversee Domain Services
Supporting Moniker, SnapNames & DomainSponsor

When I called Snapanames support they had now idea / knowledge of the change. Just the managers I guess..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think they started testing this a few weeks ago, I've noticed it before on some Register.com names (that they don't keep)

Not a particularly nice feature if you're not loaded, min price of $99 is'nt great either :|

•••
Can you elaborate a little? I thought "Available Soon" auctions have always 3-day public auctions with reserves of $79-$99 that ended around 10:15pm on the 3rd day. Are you saying that a 2nd auction now occurs after that if a bid is received on such a name during that 3-day period?

•••
Can you elaborate a little? I thought "Available Soon" auctions have always 3-day public auctions with reserves of $79-$99 that ended around 10:15pm on the 3rd day. Are you saying that a 2nd auction now occurs after that if a bid is received on such a name during that 3-day period?

Usually if only one person had placed a backorder on an expiring domain they got the name straight away on the same day of the drop ($99 at register.com, $79 at Moniker)

Now, the name does'nt go automatically to the person with a backorder, it goes to a 3 day live auction that anyone can join in :'( If nobody joins in you just pay the min fee.

Basically they do it in the hope that other people see it and join in to bid the price up, it sucks but what can you do :|

Not sure if they do it with all their names but It has happened to me twice in the last few weeks.

•••
Usually if only one person had placed a backorder on an expiring domain they got the name straight away on the same day of the drop ($99 at register.com, $79 at Moniker)

Now, the name does'nt go automatically to the person with a backorder, it goes to a 3 day live auction that anyone can join in :'( If nobody joins in you just pay the min fee.

Basically they do it in the hope that other people see it and join in to bid the price up, it sucks but what can you do :|

Not sure if they do it with all their names but It has happened to me twice in the last few weeks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this was already true of pre-release domains registered with Moniker as far as I can remember. It's the fact SN now does the same with pre-release Register.com domains that's new to me.

•••
Correct me if I'm wrong but this was already true of pre-release domains registered with Moniker as far as I can remember. .

Not that i've noticed but I may be wrong, I tend to go more for Register.com & Netsol names but I have bought about a dozen or so Moniker names at snap before.

I thought it was relatively new, just in the last couple of weeks - we'll see what other people say :tu:

•••
Found this thread while googling...anyone want to help me out? I haven't used SN in years.

So if I have a domain I want that is "available soon", it will go to a public auction regardless of whether I backorder it? (and nobody else does; this is a unique name I need)

Thanks in advance.

•••

So if I have a domain I want that is "available soon", it will go to a public auction regardless of whether I backorder it? (and nobody else does; this is a unique name I need)

Thanks in advance.

No, this is just a really unethical marketing ploy they've been using.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back