Domain Empire
Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
You need to ask yourself why you are regging .tv names. There is no wrong answer its your money.

But it does make sense to look at the extension and look at what has worked and what's throwing money out the window.

First off, throw out .com principles. In .com NNN.com is worth a lot, some aftermarket sales have been absolutely great. In .tv you will not find one reported, verified NNN.tv sale for over x,xxx.

LLL.com another popular category, now anyone who has been in domaining knows the moves the LLL.com have made over the years. The beauty about LLL.com there is an active wholesale market. If you have an LLL.com you can always find buyers in the domainer to domainer market.
In .tv not so much. There are many not regged, and rightfully so.

The CVCV.com another active niche that has made many a .com owner a nice sale. In .tv many are unregged.

So throw out .com popular trends, if that is the only reason why you would reg one of these type of domains then you might want to rethink that domain regging strategy.

Try to understand what a good name is, because a lot of hand regged domains really are only worth reg fee. The value would come in you developing them. Asking for an appraisal on a random LLLL.tv is not worth your time.

I think there are one of three distinct reasons to be in .tv.

1)You are looking to flip domains. While the secondary market for .tv is nowhere near as big as the .com market, you can flip. Pricing is the key, you need to be really realistic here, actually offering bargains. I have hand regged names on the drop like steady.tv a nothing special name, held for a few hours flipped for $100. You cannot have unreasonable pricing. There are now big domainers like Berkens from WorldwideMedia and Nat Cohen from Telepathy Inc buying .tv from .tv domainers. These guys usually are not looking to spend more than high 3 figures for names people here will tell you are worth x,xxx to xx,xxx. If you are going to flip then flip. Price reasonably.

2) Is a long term investor, believing that .tv is an up and coming extension. A long term investor should be focused on quality. Not hold a lot of names because if you are going to be a long term investor it might take years to get the offer you want. The long term investor needs to be sure they are a long term investor, they may not get a good offer on a name for a long time.

3)The .tv developer. This person should own few domains, because they are kidding themself if they think they can develop 10 .tv at a time. If a site focused on text is hard, then one focused on video is harder.

Again IMO

So why are you regging .tv ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i am regging .tv because i believe the internet is becoming more video based and the extension suits this situation, other than two blogs i run for fun and learning and a couple of theme.tv sites i can only consider that i would only seriously develop

womensclothes/tv
mensclothes/tv
samples/tv
streammovies/tv

and some other for resale down the road , that is it in a nutshell

Last edited:
•••
for development second best extension as it is ranked as global extension by google.

and the TV DNs are so sexy !

Last edited:
•••
I am still hanging around 150 .TV domains, probably a bit higher than that. While I cannot possibly develop all of those domains, in the true sense of the word, I can certainly develop most of them to the point where they generate traffic and earn affiliate income. That is one of the reasons I focussed on product domains rather than brandable domains.

I regged my .tv domains because I saw intrinsic value in them, as long term investments. I expect domains like Author.tv, Writer.tv, WWII.tv, Satellite.tv, etc. to gain in value. But that is not to say I wouldn't mind flipping some of them, especially as my son's college bills come due.

In a perfect world, I would develop every one of my domains into an ecommerce site or social experience of some sort. In the real world, I need to pay bills, and sometimes that is enough. If you are paying your bills, you are moving forward.

•••
PortlandParnters(.)org have been buying generic or two word .tv domains lately. Most of it were in $xx,xxx range.

•••
Simple....Its soooo sexy!

•••

Last edited:
•••
Good advice in my view.

•••
Top Ten Reasons I invest in .TV

10. If JimboJimbo can make money on .TV anyone can! {j/k}

9. .TV stands for Tuvalu and they are expanding not sinking!

8. Because Snoop doesn't have a *real* argument against it

7. Can you really resist The Dot Stops enthusiasm?

6. Because Sedo had an auction and it was kinda cool.

5. The 3d, Holo, Solar boat sailed years ago without me on it.

4. The revolution will be Televised.

3. All the good .COs are already taken

2. I have it on good authority that God said the Second Coming of Christ would be Televised.

And the Top Number One Reason I invest in TV:

1. I need a reason to be here in the TV subforum - I mean, how weird would it be spending time constantly commenting in the .TV subforum if I didn't have some?

David Letterman would be so proud !

•••
Google's algo is treating keyword .tv's as (non-cc)TLD's in global and local search. This improves valuation of short- and long-tail keyword tv's vis a vis affiliate marketing.

•••
So why are you regging .tv ?
In my case, its for the same reason I register, or buy, domains in other extensions, coz I think I could develop them into valuable web properties or sell them for a profit, or both. :D

I have also deliberately kept my active portfolio in .tv small but quality, which is completely reflective of the aftermarket demand for this extension. And the brandables I do get for dev are registered for 3 yrs or more at what it costs for a one year .tv reg.

But it does make sense to look at the extension and look at what has worked and what's throwing money out the window.
Like you said, its their money. :) I've stopped 'feeling bad' for people who waste their cash on crap, its their call. Though I still won't go over to the dark side and take advantage of their lack of knowledge, but then that's probably another thread.

•••
im regging tv domains that work well with videos - such as built[.]tv (for workout videos)
and i just got catfights[.]tv - which isnt developed yet

I would not waste my time with LLL or LLLL .tv its all about getting a domain that works well with videos

•••
Why, Because there are NO 2 letters combined WORLDWIDE that have more recognition than "TV". Period.

Com = whatever.
Net = whatever
Org = a more trustworthy whatever

TV = PC
PC = TV
PC = Visual
TV = Visual
TV = News
TV = Entertainment
TV = Sports
TV = Family Time
TV = $$$
and the list goes on, and on, and on...

There is no web address more beautiful than one with .TV at the end.

•••
::Deleted::

Last edited:
•••
I honestly believe that there are those who do it as a form of intentional self-destructive spending. ))D-:((

Many women choose to purge, shop, and cut while men tend to make unwise investments as a means to the same end. Why not register another premium .TV while the wife makes a pit stop (8-X) to visit the ladies room? One drops now, the other in a year or two. :santa:

Are you saying that you currently register .TV domains as a form of marital protest? Some manner in which you balance marital inequity? The question was not, "Why do you think OTHER people register .TV domains," which is kind of how your post reads.

•••
I'm a little bit of 1) and a whole lot of 3) I do not think that .tv has an exciting future as the go-to domain for web video (or whatever the line is.) And this comes from the standpoint of having regged many .tvs expressly for the purpose of building online video sites. I still just don't think it has that potential to become the default. But it does make for nice brandability, and I have had some decent successes with it.

Frank

•••
Are you saying that you currently register .TV domains as a form of marital protest? Some manner in which you balance marital inequity? The question was not, "Why do you think OTHER people register .TV domains," which is kind of how your post reads.

Sorry. ):red:(

I really don't know what I meant :-/, it was late and I was watching a movie while I was posting. Please disregard and I will edit my previous comments now. Cheers, Micro. ^^^%%-^^^

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back