NameSilo

status-review Suggestions, Observations June Edition

Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
From the other thread.

First, forums are about community and discussion should be here.

Something was posted about every move we make is supposed to be for the betterment of NP. An old example. Obvious TM's for sale/auction weren't allowed here. Then you started to allow it again. How is that a betterment for this forum or this industry. It's not. There was a long discussion on that, and I think you're not allowing that anymore. Should have never been allowed here. So I think that one got handled. But to this day, not once have you explained how that would be better for anything, just that others were doing it. I can't think of one reason, except for those engaged in that kind of thing, people you shouldn't want here in the first place

Affiliate links and other promotion. First, I have no idea why a forum has a blog. But you do and you might have reasons for it, SEO or this or that. Then, what should that section be for. It started off right, good stuff there. That good stuff could also be a forum post, I see both when I hit New Posts. You already have a section for free promotion, lists etc. I believe. I never venture that way. So why would you have it in the blog section? You've had to adjust the rules for it, since it was violating the rules.

I mention (and others) it feels like it's becoming more like DP or WF and I really have no idea if that's the goal. People do go to those places, I don't because they're junky to me, full of more experienced people taking advantage of newbies. With affiliate links, you're not keeping it steady or taking it down, you're opening it up. So if you take steps in the direction of DP, you shouldn't be offended if it starts to feel that way. There are plenty of people out there that started their own blogs, and they can post affiliate links to their heart's content.

Again, already have sections for free promotions, lists. Already allow affiliate links in sig. Now you're allowing in blog posts. When you open it up to that, then you'll get more people coming here to do that, purely to promote. What if somebody wants to do that, make a blog post with affiliate links and gets rejected. Then you'll have the so and so is allowed to do that, hierarchy, separation type stuff. Will touch on that below.

There was something in the Domain Name Discussion where many people commented, I think the post was removed. Where somebody starts a thread for the sole purpose of driving traffic to their blog. Again, this is a forum, discussion should be here. That section should be free of any type of promotion. There should be at least one place on this forum for genuine discussion.

Pro badges, not a big deal to me. I've seen people mention it, I know sometimes it's not good for forums. Back in the day I was put in some Private Affiliate Forum, where just those people had discussion. I was actually against it, I can use PMs for that. Other members found out and didn't like it, were offended, felt they were missing out on conversation, etc. It comes across as a Look At Me, I'm Special (more than you) type of thing. Not good for community.

So I don't know the idea behind that is. Is it a self pat on the back. Will you have private discussion forums. I think people who spend any time on the forum, after awhile they can figure out who knows what they're talking about, who's making money etc. And that will be different for everybody.

So what is the purpose of that exactly?

The action here is Buying and Selling domains. The discussion should be genuine with no motive of affiliate links or driving traffic off the forum, keep the discussion here. You're plenty open with affiliate links in the sig, that should be good for most people. Many forums don't even allow that. And again, a whole section where people can freely advertise. That's more than enough so it doesn't have to creep to other sections. If it does, then the DP observations are legit.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's perfectly fine - the name choice was unfortunate and that created an issue in the perception of what the badge implied. There's no easy way of conveying to the rest of the membership that it's just a group name and not some elite designation . Whether you empathize with their viewpoint or not is not important - fact remains it DID generate pushback.

Problem isnt with what it IS but with what people assume it is, and the lack of ability to effectively communicate otherwise.

When has there been pushback from the GENERAL community? Maybe I missed that thread?

•••
I don't believe anyone took a poll :).
But in a forum for every person that expresses an opionion you can usually assume there are 10 more quietly nodding their heads. Basic forum dynamics.
At any rate, some people are upset, how do we fix it?

•••
The fact of the matter is some people will always be upset. This cannot be avoided.

It's also important to note that many people feel alienated by the same crowd that is bringing up these issues.

How do we solve that problem?

•••
By looking at it constructively and objectively as a communication issue rather than taking it personally?

Off to enjoy the rest of this beautiful weather before Mother Nature throws more crap our way. Have a good weekend (what's left of it)!

•••
The Pro Network isn't intended to create a disconnect between its members and the general NamePros community. The purpose is to give experienced members the ability to share information in a private setting. This group effectively executes that goal. I do not understand why some members have such an objection. The truth is we all have our own little circles within NamePros. Most of you have STS (or whatever the latest title is) to communicate with your clique. Why not give other members the same opportunity?

STS
A public thread in the break room with the entry parameter of not mentioning the Kardashians (which is unenforced/unenforceable) that comes with no bells, no whistles, and no badges. The clique consists of everyone. It doesn't appear to have any endorsements. The goal is to just talk about anything and everything. The clique has not been defined in any way and everyone and anyone can be part of that clique - not everyone wants to be.

PRO
A private group with strict entry parameters that comes with badges. The clique consists of a small private collection of invite only members that seems to be endorsed by the forum. The goal is to be hidden and in private (I can't comment on what you talk about). The clique entry requirements have been defined and not everyone wants to be (that's common )

Comparing them is ridiculous. The goals of each are different. The nature of what your goal is (private area) does immediately disconnect and it's the point of it. I don't believe anyone has an issue with a private area except when it's exclusive or seen as some form of privilege where that privilege is not made clear (paid members, advertisers etc. get perks and that's understood.)

If you just wanted a private place to talk it is fair to assume that the name and badges were bestowed on you without request? It's seems odd to say you didn't want to disconnect and then create very clear indication that you are separate.

I personally don't care about it. My feedback is purely for the NP staff based on my observations and what I think of it. The disconnect appears entirely based on communication and misunderstanding. I don't think it's clear that the group is, fundamentally, just a group.

The fact of the matter is some people will always be upset. This cannot be avoided.
You're right, some people will always be upset; however, when people are upset by a feature as it's implemented in a forum there is a 'NamePros Comments and Feedback' thread to make that feedback be known in a public forum for discussion by everyone. Anyone can come in here and say they disagree or provide a positive counterpoint. It provides the admin staff with something to base decisions on.

You've basically just said - the group is just clique and Paul has said that "pretty badges" don't mean anything. [Added - and it's not just experienced members, it's also got a popularity/friend element which is fine..no one wants to be in a group of people they don't like]

My feedback is that the name of the group makes you seemingly endorsed by NP as a "Pro" and that seems to many to confer privileges (which it has been said it doesn't).

What happens after that feedback is given.. that's for the hard working admin to decide.

I don't buy into the argument that "people get upset get over it". If the group name changed to "TDI" or "Top Domain Investors" that might remove the upset - would it not be worth doing that? It wouldn't do anything to the aforementioned goals of the group or the entry criteria (I'm not suggesting that btw, I'm just asking the question).

I'd love to hear the counterpoints to the concerns raised.

It's also important to note that many people feel alienated by the same crowd that is bringing up these issues.
How do we solve that problem?

If there is an issue with something in the forum that is alienating - may I suggest the feedback forum you are currently reading?
If someone has an issue with being alienated by individuals (or feeling that way) that's something that they will have to work out on an individual grown up basis - I don't believe that NP staff can do anything there. If it's based on specific posts or actions that are objectionable etc. then you can also report them.

None of this is a personal attack on anyone, imho, it's just feedback.

I will take it under advisement that I provide way too much feedback for what little I contribute to the forum so will scale back. I don't want to alienate people and maybe being less opinionated will help.

Last edited:
•••
Re the PRO group - I don't think anyone has a problem with people forming a group. I think the choice of name was unfortunate. A "Domain Buyers Group" badge is pretty innocuous. However having members with a "PRO" badge appears to have created a ... a... a.. (sorry, I have to use this word - cringe) perception issue. Especially in light of the forum name.
when I first seen that badge. ..thought they were sellers of the .Pro extension...

•••
We appreciate the time that everyone has taken to provide feedback. Our team is in active discussions regarding many of the things that have been brought to our attention in this thread. We will continue to work hard to find the middle ground.

(@photonmymind - Please note that both Edward and myself responded to your questions, and the questions of other members, in STS thread before this thread was created. I'll try to respond to them again below.)

There are many different topics in this thread, so I'll try to respond to anything that remains.

Re: The domain name lists in the blog:
The lists provide value, as they’re written by a well-known investor and blogger. The blog brings more exposure to the lists, and vice versa.

Re: Membership to PROs group is not guaranteed:
There are various reasons a member could be disqualified from joining or remaining in the PRO group, even if they meet the eligibility requirements. For example, persistent rule breakers may not be allowed to join or they may be removed from the group after they've already joined.

Re: Blog posts under 300 words:
The current rules are a work in progress. If a blog post with decent content is less than 300 words, we may approve it anyway. This has been on our list of things to add to the rules for a while now. Eventually, it will appear.

Re: “Offensive bolded red add-on”:
This was resolved before you asked about it, and I've been meaning to respond to you. Only so many hours in a day, unfortunately.

Members with a Trusted Blogger badge are able to bypass the approval process when creating blog posts. All of our trusted bloggers have earned that badge for a good reason, and they want what's best for the community.

If something is posted that is questionable, please feel free to report it, and we will investigate it promptly and fairly.

Re: Affiliate links in blog posts:
We've added this message to all blog posts moving forward:
Disclaimer: This blog is produced by community members of NamePros. The opinions expressed in articles on the NamePros Blog do not necessarily represent that of NamePros. NamePros does not accept any affiliate revenue, commissions, or paid insertions beyond its clearly advertised media sponsors. NamePros cannot comment on the relationship between each author and their content but require that they disclose any material relationships that exist.
This may change over time as we continue to analyze and collect feedback on the topic.

Notes about blog posts:
  • We are not requiring that previous blog posts be updated as new policies come into place.
  • Please do not reference old blog posts as examples of new rule violations, as they may not be subject to them.
Re: Names of moderators who respond to reports:
As Paul indicated, we are hopeful that XenForo.com (our forum software) will add this capability in their next update.

Conclusion:
Rather than discussing several issues in a single thread, we’re going to close this thread and let you create individual threads for specific issues going forward. That way, each issue gets the attention it deserves, in an organized fashion.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back