Dynadot

Suspended on Afternic and support does not want to re-enable my account

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tvanrijt

Top Member
Impact
Hey all,

I have been suspended at Afternic for selling a domain name I did not own anymore. I get that this is my fault. I dropped a name and forgot to delist it from Afternic.

However, after contacting support they said they will not re-enable my account because I violated the rules. That seems a bit harsh to me, but whatever. I thought: I will just list my domains at Dan.com and not really get bothered with it.

However, now I realize this also impacts my possibilities in acquiring new names, as I cannot purchase names on afternic or even browse all names properly.

I do realize this was all caused by a mistake on my part. I acknowledge the mistake, but I feel this could always happen and the permaban seems a bit strict to me.

Has any of you had this happen to you? And what did you do? Is there a way to still be able to buy from Afternic? I am not really interested in selling anymore as Dan.com provides a very good alternative which I am happy with.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, Afternic listing does not require a BIN. I have all of my domains listed as Make Offer with a minimum offer listed. I add a BIN / floor only after receiving a price request inquiry, and in most cases after posting the BIN it sells anyway.

So if you don’t want to post a set price you don’t have to do so. This is the case with all non exclusive marketplaces.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/tw...registry-undeveloped-dan-marketplace.1141640/

Last edited:
•••
No, Afternic listing does not require a BIN. I have all of my domains listed as Make Offer with a minimum offer listed.
Thanks for the info. Will surely try it out

•••
Almost half of the names I buy seem to still be listed on Afternic, either aftermarket sales or dropped domains. Requiring me to email Afternic and having them remove the domain so I can relist it.

It's an honest mistake and don't think they should be banning accounts of those who forget to remove the domains. Those who are not trying to mislead or defraud people.

Because this issue is so common, Afternic needs to have an automated system in place that detects a registrations change or domain drops, that then asks the user that the domain should still be listed

•••
Afternic can equally work on their system to identify and remove dropped names like Sedo.

•••
Sedo is very slow with it though. May takes months before they even notice that you no longer own a domain if they even notice at all.

•••
I noticed Afternic do move dropped names to review, which was why I relaxed with deleting dropped domains before one was snapped

•••
•••
Yes it seems they should have a system in place like sedo that auto delete domains that drops expire as when you own hundreds of thousand domains some times a few slip past you.

•••
So if you don’t want to post a set price you don’t have to do so
Please how exactly do I change to make offer? All I see is where to add BIN.

•••
Months ago, they sold a domain name, I didn't own anymore, and they sent the funds to my bank account.

I have contacted the support many times, but it was like that they are not interested to get their money back!

My account is still active and operating :D

•••
I have contacted the support many times, but it was like that they are not interested to get their money back!
Continue trying to contact them because when the buyer complains that the domain didn't get to them, Afternic will come for you.

•••
It was like 11 months ago.

I have contacted them 3 times and everytime, they ask me to wait and they will look further, for the next steps.

Then nothing happens!
Continue trying to contact them because when the buyer complains that the domain didn't get to them, Afternic will come for you.

•••
All that matters is he had a BIN at Afternic for a name he sold elsewhere.

My post about not having a BIN more than one place was more informational and general than anything else.

But as I also said above: The BIN priced domains are the ones you must be careful about deleting immediately if sold elsewhere.
which Does apply to his situation.

I don't know why you insist on this being an issue of multiple BINs and him having sold it somewehre and forgetting to delist on afternic...

Because he clearly states in OP: "I dropped a name and forgot to delist it from Afternic."

Dropped doesn't mean sail.. unless I... dunno.

•••
It was like 11 months ago.

I have contacted them 3 times and everytime, they ask me to wait and they will look further, for the next steps.

Then nothing happens!
This is definitely strange for the buyer that paid for what he/she didn't receive and kept quiet this long @Joe Styler may help.

•••
•••
It probably insta-fast-transferred
Probably so. But he has dropped the domain, so how did they fast transfer what he no longer own?

•••
This is another thread where many of the posts after the first half dozen or so, are posted by those who haven’t even read through the thread carefully, if at all.

Last edited:
•••
You must’ve had a price set / BIN on Afternic for the domain that you no longer owned.

Anyway my suggestions are for the future and for others: remove any domains you no longer own from any marketplace listings, especially quickly if such domains are still up anywhere with a BIN.

Your potential solution is to talk to Joe Styler etc but trying to claim that you had no sales price set on the domain at Afternic isn’t going to help your case.

Yes I definitely had a BIN on Afternic, I was just making clear multiple listings were not the issue here.

I completely agree with you on your suggestions. As soon as you sell OR drop a name, it should be in your system to go through the marketplaces and delete the name if applicable. Since I have now consolidated my names under Dynadot (instead of 10 registrars) and only list on 1 marketplace, it should be much easier to keep things up to date. This might also be an advice to others: use as little registrars and marketplaces as possible to keep a good overview of your portfolio and listings.

I have PMed Joe so I will await his reply.

I saw some people in the thread talking about marketplaces like Afternic checking if the name is dropped. This would definitely be a nice feature, but in my opinion this would only be a perk of the marketplace. It would always be the person's responsibility of the seller to keep things updated. The Marketplace check would then be a nice safety net, because as others said mistakes can always happen.

Thanks all for the reactions. I will update once Joe messaged me, no matter the outcome. if anything, this has raised awareness to the fact that we all have to make sure we keep our portfolio up to date, so that's something I guess :)

•••
Update to close the thread:

Apparently, I did have a similar issue in the past when I started domaining, making me a repeat offender. This puts things into a different light obviously and their actions are much more understandable.

After talking with Joe and proving I did indeed own the sold domain in the past (and wasn't just trying to sell names I did not own), they gave me a last chance and unbanned me.

Thanks a lot to @Joe Styler for looking into it and thanks to him and the team for unbanning me.

This will be my last update as the issue is solved.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back