IT.COM

Switch background when heavy traffic?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi, all. :)
Does anyone know of a way to automatically switch to an alternate background image ONLY when the site is receiving more than X traffic? (switch from a large image to a small one...)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
only way i can think of to do it code wise would be to use sessions and count the active sessions. if larger than x use a different template for example or direct to the low tech page.

•••
Dang, it requires coding. :)
Thanks. I'm going to keep this in mind, because I might still need to set it up in the future.

•••
you may store the count of sessions made in a table and then add a condition to check for the count using php.

•••
Why not always serve smaller image or no image to smaller screens or devices?

As I recall in Drupal you can prioritise what you serve so some sless important stuff gets throttled back at busy times, not sure if that applies to css though.

What about serving images from another domain?

And I assume that you are telling browsers to cache as much as possible.

•••
Thanks for the suggestions. :) I'm glad there are some choices here.

What about serving images from another domain?
I already host some images on other domains, but do you or anyone know of an actual image host that lets you offload key site images? (like your theme files... background, etc.) It would be nice if there was some cheap, paid service that did this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back