Domain Empire

news That Frank Schilling Prediction about dot COM Was WRONG, Surprised?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Frank Schilling made a bad decision early (before the new gTLDs even launched) to abandon his core constituency and join other new gTLD hucksters--registry operators--as well as some current and former ICANN Directors, Officers and staff, and other fellow travellers, in utilizing a new gTLD marketing strategy of going negative against the legacy gTLDs, particularly the market dominant .COM.

It didn't work.

Read more: http://www.domainmondo.com/2015/12/that-frank-schilling-prediction-about.html

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a request...

Can someone please explain why the three letters "com" (which isn't even a real word, btw) makes a domain so valuable. Please try and do so without referencing its familiarity to the everyday internet user.

Thanks,

All around brand marketability...

ABC, NBC, CBS, HBO, HLN, QVC, HSN, NSA, DIY, LOL, BBB, NYC... etc...

Business (and marketing departments) love acronyms, and because there are only 17,576 of them they want to make sure that they own their brand name. Especially if it is a public facing product/company.

Because there are only 17k different combinations this also makes them more valuable. There are 456,976 4L.coms - so owning a 3L.com is prestigious.

As for 2L.com, there are 676 of them... which is why they sell for millions...

as for 1L.coms I believe there are only four that weren't snatched by ICANN Q, X, Z, W.

Z.com recently sold for 6.8 million dollars, which was low for a single letter .COM in my opinion but it's still a lot of money and the seller was liquidating assets, so whatever gets the job done for them. (FB.com sold for $8 mil)

•••
He doesn't mean 3 letter .coms but .com itself which is 3 letters. What is so special about .com. And he set it up with taking out one of the main reasons, familiarity. Problem is that main reason exists, among many others. Why it is king, you can make a long list. But it's stuff everybody should know by now. And none of these new gtlds are competitors. They're either too niche or the generic ones just suck to this point.

•••
Why cant we have a Namepros convention like Comic Con? Being that we are the biggest in the world we should have a social gathering.

•••
".com" is the most common and most recognized domain suffix. It stands for "commercial" and is used by mostly commercial websites. However, anyone who wants to register a domain name can register a name ending in .com, whether their site is going to be used for commercial purposes or not.

And it is for the majority of web users the suffix to put when searching for something.
EG: dodge.com not dodge.xyz

•••
He doesn't mean 3 letter .coms but .com itself which is 3 letters. What is so special about .com. And he set it up with taking out one of the main reasons, familiarity. Problem is that main reason exists, among many others. Why it is king, you can make a long list. But it's stuff everybody should know by now. And none of these new gtlds are competitors. They're either too niche or the generic ones just suck to this point.
?
I think he meant why does 3 letter dot com have so much value.

•••

That was a good link drop, it really was, point taken.

But domains are different than normal investments, and #7 on that list stands out to me the most. Look toward the future. I have asked for an example of value for .com aside from its familiarity (which was basically default) and have yet to receive a real example. That leaves us to argue the question, is familiarity really a good basis for investment?

The internet certainly throws us a curveball on this question so why not take a look at online examples...

Remember Myspace? I do, it practically ruled the internet world as we know it, now its nothing but a distant memory. Why? Because a more relevant version came about, and after Myspace at it's peak was sold for a huge fortune to a very capable company, it was reduced to nothing a year later by a startup with a great vision of the future, a future which was already being defined by it's predecessor. That's how the internet works. It looks like bitcoin may have the same fate. .com is king now, no doubt, but its bound to be replaced by a more relevant version, why is com relevant when it means nothing?

•••
?
I think he meant why does 3 letter dot com have so much value.

Nope, you're reading it wrong. The follow up posts go thru it.

•••
That was a good link drop, it really was, point taken.

But domains are different than normal investments, and #7 on that list stands out to me the most. Look toward the future. I have asked for an example of value for .com aside from its familiarity (which was basically default) and have yet to receive a real example. That leaves us to argue the question, is familiarity really a good basis for investment?

The internet certainly throws us a curveball on this question so why not take a look at online examples...

Remember Myspace? I do, it practically ruled the internet world as we know it, now its nothing but a distant memory. Why? Because a more relevant version came about, and after Myspace at it's peak was sold for a huge fortune to a very capable company, it was reduced to nothing a year later by a startup with a great vision of the future, a future which was already being defined by it's predecessor. That's how the internet works. It looks like bitcoin may have the same fate. .com is king now, no doubt, but its bound to be replaced by a more relevant version, why is com relevant when it means nothing?

Which one is more relevant. Give me one. Give me one that's going to have the kind of public penetration that .com has. It's on it's own level. These new gtlds are what people settle for. Not first choice.

•••
".com" is the most common and most recognized domain suffix. It stands for "commercial" and is used by mostly commercial websites. However, anyone who wants to register a domain name can register a name ending in .com, whether their site is going to be used for commercial purposes or not.

And it is for the majority of web users the suffix to put when searching for something.
EG: dodge.com not dodge.xyz

Thank you for posting this! Because I've seen similar posts which make it seem like NGTLDers seem to think its going to be some other meaningless 3 letter extension that is going to be the replacement for .com, when infact it is quite the opposite. I myself do not have even one .xyz domain or any other "meaningless but short" extension. I want "meaning", "relevance" and "definition" when I register a name. If you're registering random keywords with a meaningless extension then you're doing it wrong. I'm tired of new gtlds being associated with trying to replace .com with another meaningless assemblance of letters.

•••
If you're registering random keywords with a meaningless extension then your doing it wrong.

That's just silly. Shoes.com you have no idea what that would be? You want athletic.shoes because it has meaning, as if athleticshoes.com doesn't. You want to take out familiarity because that kills new gtlds. It exists, whether you like it or not. You want to take out the real world and have a Fantasy Island discussion.

It's kind of like past discussions with new gtlders asking, what if these all came out when .com came out. There is no what if. Didn't happen.

Last edited:
•••
That's just silly. Shoes.com you have no idea what that would be? You want athletic.shoes because it has meaning, as if athleticshoes.com doesn't. You want to take out familiarity because that kills new gtlds. It exists, whether you like it or not. You want to take out the real world and have a Fantasy Island discussion.

It's kind of like past discussions with new gtlders asking, what if these all came out when .com came out. There is no what if. Didn't happen.

We're getting somewhere here. We really are. Now that we have definitely established that .com's value is solely based on familiarity (if I may add: due to a lack of choices in the internets infancy), My point is familiarities do change over time, they almost always do. You seem to have the idea that one supreme ngtld is going to take on .com when infact it will be hundreds, which all will do nothing more than serve their own purpose in their own unique way. they will add the relevance and definition to a chaotic internet, and TOGETHER will provide a much needed alternative in an industry which desperately needs it.

•••
Happy New Years everybody!

images

•••
We're getting somewhere here. We really are. Now that we have definitely established that .com's value is solely based on familiarity (if I may add: due to a lack of choices in the internets infancy), My point is familiarities do change over time, they almost always do. You seem to have the idea that one supreme ngtld is going to take on .com when infact it will be hundreds which all will do nothing more than serve there own purpose in their own unique way. they will add the relevance and definition to a chaotic internet, and TOGEATHER will provide a much needed alternative in an industry which desperately needs it.

Most of the stuff you've said has been said before, it's just parroting new gtld marketing. They got you. As if hundreds of more new gtlds make the internet less chaotic.

"We're getting somewhere here. We really are."

Not really, it's really the same conversation over and over again.

•••
Most of the stuff you've said has been said before, it's just parroting new gtld marketing. They got you. As if hundreds of more new gtlds make the internet less chaotic.

"We're getting somewhere here. We really are."

Not really, it's really the same conversation over and over again.

I'm sure it has been said, but I'm no parrot, I have formulated these ideas on my own. :)

•••
New year resolution: Discuss with like minded people. Never argue.

•••
As if hundreds of more new gtlds make the internet less chaotic.

This reminds me of a library with no categories, just a free-for-all. Though I suppose we don't really know that horror since we've always had the categorization in libraries. I guess we wont know any better until better comes along, which has already begun. Domain masters like Frank Shilling certainly see it, but not everyone does apparently.

•••
.COM is a KING and it will be on the top till the commercial word exists on the web.....

•••
•••
•••
Without discounting and promotions, and without the Chinese Bubble registrations, .COM would have had problems in 2015.
Based on .COM's performance, Frank was close. The thing about .COM that most domainers never see is the data. This is because domainers basically think in resale value rather than registration volume or renewal rates. Without discounting and promotions, and without the Chinese Bubble registrations, .COM would have had problems in 2015.

Regards...jmcc

I don't think .com is going anywhere, just like Budweiser beer but I do think new gTLDs and ccTLDs will prosper due to high .com prices and lack of short URLs. And the CN bubble as you mentioned.

A few here think I'm all in on new gTLDs etc which isn't the truth, I try to invest in all and including .com.

•••
Domains aren't like a library -nobody needs them to "organize" the internet. They're more like license plates for your car. Nice to have vanity plates, but nobody really NEEDS them - you can still drive around with any combination of numbers and letters that is legal. Your car will even run fine without any (ip address)

The issue that will kill most of the new gtlds is lack of buy in from the public, and with the niche gtlds, from the small group they target. Most people outside of this business:
  1. Have no clue these gtlds exist.
  2. If they have seen marketing at a registrar, they probably ignored it as some tech blah blah blah
  3. They have experienced spam and phishing from domains that look "funny" and are wary. (Ask overstock.com how o.co and o.biz are working out for them)
  4. From a marketing standpoint, the sheer number of them is a deterrent. If you present people in the decision process with too many choices, they will take none of them.
There's not enough consumer oriented marketing to build any desire, fabricate a need, or override the trust issues . Registries seem perfectly content to have domainers and defensive registrations footing the bills.

Hence, .com is alive and well.

.museum, .travel., .tel ...fail, fail and fail.

•••
The writing is on the wall and always has been.

It's right in front of everyone's face....

How many after market gtld sales do you see between domainers????

And the attempted sales you see are typical yardsale "OMG I need to get my money back" sales.

That right there concludes the future for these extensions.

When domainers cant even give away their registrations to other domainers, the outcome is set in stone.

Remember....history always repeats itself.

The power of greed and the search for that million dollar lotto ticket mentality is the only thing that drove the initial registration period.

And now the aftermath will begin.

•••

It's not about being exact; it's about being shorter and the fact you can have a 1000 companies to afford a name they market and not 100....

Tlds are expensive and Gtlds are surely catching up to home plate. We have seen recent sales "call it luck if you will" that propose a new opportunity for the internet world. It's a new year for investors. I was reading some old forums here earlier today regarding NNN.com requests. In 2010, people were offering $10K for such a name now that $10K is thirty times that at least. Price margins change drastically in this game and only time will tell if Gtlds investors were the ones who were right this whole time.

•••
There are different markets in the domain name space. Noone has a crystal ball, and there is sooooo much potential for sooooo many things to develop. Should see more growth. I am a firm believer that anything can be sold. Just gotta work hard at it, and maybe have a plan before you buy, no matter what the extension or name. Can't always wait for someone to approach you. You gotta be proactive.

•••
You keep catching. I won't be dropping because no knockoffs exist in my accounts.
lmaoooo... thanks for the laugh buddy

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back