IT.COM

new gtlds The Top Level Domain .News is Booming

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN.com

VIP Member
DN.com Staff
Impact
Those socializing platforms like Facebook want people to get news through their platforms while enterprises with golden brand and companies for ages do not want to lose their voice in the internet world. The .news domain names are sold well to the end-users who want to take control of their own news channels.

.news domain names have been open to register since the last year, and have successfully drawn the attention of many well-known corporations. As you might already know that Sky News, one of the biggest TV channel, has bought sky.news and directs it to their home page. It is not hard to understand that the world top 500 companies like Microsoft and BMW all spend huge money on the .news domain names. It is advisable for the big companies to hold the domain names as early as possible, which can save a lot of money and trouble in the future.

The Chinese market also picks up its pace with the international trend. Many big network companies like Baidu, Tencent JingDong and NetEase also have protected their relevant .new domain names.

If you try the domain name suface.news or xbox.news in the address bar, you will find all the news of surface or xbox in Bing search. Microsoft is always quick in the domain name registration. According to Rightside, except Microsoft, Apple and Google, other corporate like BMW, Starbuck, CNN as well as BBC all registered .news domain names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Completely agree with you.
All major brands should, if not already protect their brand.news for their blogs, updates, newsletter, etc...
For us, the investors, might be a great chance to grab some... :)

•••
Those socializing platforms like Facebook want people to get news through their platforms while enterprises with golden brand and companies for ages do not want to lose their voice in the internet world. The .news domain names are sold well to the end-users who want to take control of their own news channels.

.news domain names have been open to register since the last year, and have successfully drawn the attention of many well-known corporations. As you might already know that Sky News, one of the biggest TV channel, has bought sky.news and directs it to their home page. It is not hard to understand that the world top 500 companies like Microsoft and BMW all spend huge money on the .news domain names. It is advisable for the big companies to hold the domain names as early as possible, which can save a lot of money and trouble in the future.

The Chinese market also picks up its pace with the international trend. Many big network companies like Baidu, Tencent JingDong and NetEase also have protected their relevant .new domain names.

If you try the domain name suface.news or xbox.news in the address bar, you will find all the news of surface or xbox in Bing search. Microsoft is always quick in the domain name registration. According to Rightside, except Microsoft, Apple and Google, other corporate like BMW, Starbuck, CNN as well as BBC all registered .news domain names.
Since you're the thread creator, is it also a place to showcase our .news?

•••
•••
•••
It is an advertorial.

I agree with Kate.

So NBC, ABC, CNN, FOX all need a .news domain??? I don't think so.

Why would the Chinese buy into a .news(English) spelling domain? Yes big companies might buy/protect their relevant .news domain names so they don't have to spend money on UDRP's against domainers who think they can sell domains back to the news companies. I don't think Facebook needs a .news domain.
Most of the new tlds are only good for the end user not resellers. I'm not even sure that the end user will buy into these new extension to compete with their .com domains.

A staff member of DN.com or any registry/registrar/escrow service should not be pushing domain extensions!!!!

•••
Most comments by Kate regarding new gtld's have a deprecating tone and could be seen as an Advertorial against gtld's.

•••
Most comments by Kate regarding new gtld's have a deprecating tone and could be seen as an Advertorial against gtld's.

Probably because the new tlds aren't really needed and their pricing/ethics are very questionable.
I see a ton of new people on the forums dropping a ton of cash into the new tlds. Maybe she/we are trying to warn the new guys about things that might not be so clear to someone with dollar signs for eyes.

Do you have anything to say about the OP's thread or just bash Kate?

•••
I am amused, because the news outlets and the self-proclaimed experts singing the praises of new TLDs are all using .com domains for their sites, for historical reasons obviously, but they would never really think about using one of those TLDs. Think about it. How many are drinking their own medicine ?
I can understand that, when you own a domain of the caliber of dn.com you wouldn't settle for a mediocre domain :)

Actually, I don't know why DN.com is posting this, they are not a registrar and not selling .news domains afaik.

To say that .news is booming is nonsense, companies always buy domains for defensive purposes. They always have. Do they really need them or want them ? Hardly. The proof is that sky.news redirects to their .com. BBC: ditto. CNN: not resolving. Unless they advertise their .news names, then these names are useless, I think it's another extension that mainly exists for defensive registration (extortion) purposes.

If you think new extensions are really useful, then do your own assessment. Don't listen to the naysayers like me. Look how many are not even resolving, how many are strictly defensive, how many are not developed or mere redirects to .com domains.
I am not impressed so far.

•••
Speaking of .news, I'm pretty sure I just see a thread on .fox
So is FOX news going to use their .com .news and .fox same with everyone else?

.uselessjunkdomains

I think domainers are the only ones really getting suckered into buying these domains.
It's like coming out with a new drug for junkies.
Kate is right that companies will only invest in them to cover their butt.

I love me some FOX news but what the heck could .fox be used for anyway??? Maybe I read it wrong.

•••
It is an advertorial.
I am amused, because the news outlets and the self-proclaimed experts singing the praises of new TLDs are all using .com domains for their sites, for historical reasons obviously, but they would never really think about using one of those TLDs. Think about it. How many are drinking their own medicine ?
I can understand that, when you own a domain of the caliber of dn.com you wouldn't settle for a mediocre domain :)

Actually, I don't know why DN.com is posting this, they are not a registrar and not selling .news domains afaik.

To say that .news is booming is nonsense, companies always buy domains for defensive purposes. They always have. Do they really need them or want them ? Hardly. The proof is that sky.news redirects to their .com. BBC: ditto. CNN: not resolving. Unless they advertise their .news names, then these names are useless, I think it's another extension that mainly exists for defensive registration (extortion) purposes.

If you think new extensions are really useful, then do your own assessment. Don't listen to the naysayers like me. Look how many are not even resolving, how many are strictly defensive, how many are not developed or mere redirects to .com domains.
I am not impressed so far.
Hi Kate, Thanks for sharing with us your points. This is a piece of news posted in Chinese domain name news website. I translated this. I feel sorry If there are some inaccuracy or improper during the translation. Anyway, it is a discussion, everyone is free to say out his points.
here is the link to your reference, http://news.domain cn/html/yumingzixun/2016/0106/44988.html

•••
Cynthia
Maybe you should ask a question or ask others for their opinions rather than just posting what to us looks like SPAM!!!!

What would you like people to comment on in regards to .news? How awesome it is and to buy a bunch of .news domains and try to sell them thru you and DN.com? I'll pass.
You start a thread about how great .news is? Get real.

Like I said earlier:

.uselessjunkdomains

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back