Dynadot

showcase The Weird, The Different and The Wonderful

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
I love a good domain names, and who here doesn't? Though we may traverse the waters on different boats, we're all fishing on the same ocean- the great big sea of domaining. Casting out a net, we can pull up the common tuna, or at times, perhaps something even more..

Thought I'd start this thread for those domains with a uniqueness about them, that at first glance may not be so obvious. Along with showcasing the domain name, please add a little extra explanation as to what is so special about that name that the rest of us undiscerning folk might miss.

So without further ado, presenting the official

~ Weird, Different or Wonderful World of Domain Names ~

To kick it off, I better put my money where my mouth is. So, let's start with a .com:

LeapYour.com

What up with this one? Yeah, well we all want to leap our domain into a profitable return, yes? But what's special about this one, is its word play on Leap Year. I registered it on a leap year, on the leap day! February 29th, 2016. Hence, Leap Your .com. Coincidentally, this year of 2020 is a leap year again.

** moving on **

CryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCryptoCrypto.Crypto

Huh? Vat the heck is this?? might you ask. Well, let me start by saying, nope, you cannot copy/paste this into a regular browser. This domain uses the .crypto extension, just released late 2019, and is not compatible with the http protocol we are used to with resolving traditional domain name extensions.

But what is special about this particular name, is the amount of characters it uses. We're talking a grand total of 253 characters, including the dot and the extension. With domains regulated by ICANN such as .net or .com, there is a limit of 63 characters BEFORE the dot that one may register. With blockchain domains, however, the limit expands to a TOTAL of 253 characters (including the extension and the dot).

P.S. So how does one access a .crypto domain? Well, not via channels we are accustomed to, to be sure. For now, try pinata.cloud or the ipfs site. eg.:

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmVgoRJSstw93yVaUZ3fzYc8gwuyUQpobA6Shc9abMKLoC

(a little rudimentary, yes. In fact, just plain caveman.)

Carry on, and don't be shy. Share your wonderful, or weird of the day. Thx :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well I have an out of this world domain. It has no earthly boundaries and is IPFS based - Interplanetary(.)crypto.

Why have a domain that can't pass the earth's atmosphere?..... Take it to the moon and beyond.

Last edited:
•••
Well I have an out of this world domain. It has no earthly boundaries and is IPFS based - Interplanetary(.)crypto.

Why have a domain that can't pass the earth's atmosphere?..... Take it to the moon and beyond.
Lol- nice. If there is such a thing as future-proofing a domain, I think you got it.

•••
Lol- nice. If there is such a thing as future-proofing a domain, I think you got it.
Thanks. Got the idea from the leading protocol for the Decentralized Web, Interplanetary File System (IPFS).

•••
Thanks. Got the idea from the leading protocol for the Decentralized Web, Interplanetary File System (IPFS).
Just clued in. Surprised it wasn't held back, now. Great grab. Seeing as IPFS may be the de-facto protocol in coming years for blockchain-based sites.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back