IT.COM

guide Top 10 Law Domain Name Mistakes (Part I)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
As Marketing Partner of Ungaretti & Harris in the mid-1990s, I remember the early meetings in 1995 when we were trying to figure out what domain to use for our first website. We felt that “Ungaretti” was too hard to remember and spell, so we considered using the firm’s initials, i.e.: uh.com.
That is, if your name is “Smith Wachowski & Jones,” no offense to Ms. Jones but everyone calls you “Smith Wachowski.” Your primary domain name should be SmithWachowski.com. If it isn’t, change it. For example, many years ago we counseled the Louisville law firm Goldberg Simpson to change from the non-intuitive GSAtty.com to the simple, easy-to-spell GoldbergSimpson.com. [Capitalization doesn’t matter, but I’m going to use it in this article to help distinguish the various URLs.]
If you have an unusual, strong, or memorable first name, that’s probably what The Street calls you — think Wachtell, Orrick, Jenner, Winston, Cravath, Cadwalader, etc. You should be able to find those firms by typing firstname.com. Of course, if you didn’t buy it decades ago, your name is probably long gone...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back