Domain Empire

Trademarked/ copyrighted (big) brand domainnames?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Now and then I stumble over free net or org domains not claimed by big brands. Are these of any value are if a brand starts a legal procedure they always get them from the owner.

My question is are these brand names and the legal procedures they probably start if they want the name worth it to posses so that you can settle it outside court for a nice price, or do you simple don't have a chance so it's not worth to regsiter it.

And are there exceptions, so they can only claim com and not the org, net, info or country tld?

Anyone here experience with that?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
so that you can settle it outside court for a nice price ...

Sounds to me like you're coming dangerously close to "cybersquatting", IMHO. Reference to "big brands", "brand names", as well! :tri:
This is regardless of extensions, in my non-legal opinion. Please stay clear of definitive and obvious ™'s by researching the database at: www.uspto.gov
... prior to any registrations.
Best of Luck.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Thanks Jeff :)

I'm not really into this kind issues and want to keep away from it. Just curious in experiences with this. Can imagine that people register domainnames with which they later get into trouble... And of course it's somehow tempting if you come along such a big brand names. Also some names can be more generic like for example the one of the multinational Shell, a term which even has a meaning related to computers and the internet.

Last edited:
•••
You're welcome. :)

Just don't be tempted on those ones with obvious and large (and well established) brand names, in my view. Naturally, with legalities ... things are very case specific, but I think it's a generally safe bet to avoid thinking (temptation) as outlined here briefly. No worries.
All the best!
B-)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back