NameSilo

Trademarks and LLL acronyms

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,
I'm new here on NP and I'm reading a lot of threads, I just found a post by jberryhill, that says:
It's not that simple. In the context of marks which are not "famous" (in the sense that term is used in trademark law), then use matters. Using "Bud" for beer would be wrong, using "Bud" for flowers is perfectly fine.

So now I have some doubts:

- what if I own a meaningless domain like spoppo.com and next year some company will choose "SpoPPo Inc." as its name or will create a new "Spoppo" product? Can they get my domain, even if I did register it in good faith and, also, I have developed a website unrelated with their name/product (or, better, a non-commercial site)?

- if I got a LLL.* or LLLL.* domain with the aim to develop some website/service, is it possible that some company will sue me and get my domain for trademark issues? I think that acronym with 3 letters (and 4 letters) could mean a lot of things, so if I register MLS.net to create a site like "My Love Stories", can Major League Soccer get it? I saw that WIPO/UDRP usually checks bad faith before taking your domain, so if my site is nothing related to Major League Soccer, is it possible that I will keep it?

- are movies' titles (Like "The Expendables") to be considered as trademarks?

Thank you.
S.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If you innocently registered spoppo.com before even the company was formed, and before the first use of their registered trademark, and providing you are not infringing on their trademark, you'd more than likely retain ownership of the domain in any WIPO/UDRP dispute.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back