IT.COM

question Trading of [.in] domains banned by NIXI is that true?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Toshiro

Impact
Recently i bought a (.in) domain from GoDaddy i noticed that the feature to list on the marketplace was not available so I called customer support and enquired about it , they told me that

" NIXI the domain regulatory authority of India has bird them from facilitating the sale or trading of dot in domains"

Q.
If that is true would that also make it illegal for me to do a private sale on my level not through any marketplace as well. Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Upvote 0
Have you asked NIXI?
Idk how to reach out to them they are typical gov department so not sure if I can get a straight answer from them .

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
No, don't contact NIXI and say "I'd like to break your rules."

Yes, NIXI forbids speculation in .in names. Obviously, if you are a willing seller and you can find a willing buyer, there's nothing to stop you.

For example, Twitter handles "can't be sold" and neither can IPv4 addresses, for that matter, but here we are.

But, no, you can't list .in names on domain marketplaces associated with a registrar, because the registrar will promptly hear from NIXI.

We used to have this come up periodically when I was the legal backend for the Uniregistry Marketplace. Uniregistry would get threats of de-accreditation from NIXI if they found anyone selling a .in name.

https://www.esyacentre.org/perspect...g-registrars-or-banning-domain-name-investing

To be clear, NIXI presently prohibits domain name registrars from directly or indirectly engaging in misconduct such as cybersquatting or selling domain names at a price that is exceptionally higher than the published maximum retail price (MRP).

See, also..

https://www.namepros.com/threads/dan-will-no-longer-allow-the-listing-of-in-domains.1305139/

•••
Upvote 0
Thanks alot for this sir , i didn't contacted them as I understood the risk , I have a domain which I am going to sale to some large companies so I was a little worried about regulations!

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
Registrars are not allowed to list .in domain names in their secondary marketplaces since a few registrars were trying to backorder .in domain names illegally. You are allowed to list it on Sedo, DaaZ.com who are not registrars.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back