NameSilo

new gtlds .Tube Winds Up With Just 647 Registrations on Day 1: Disappointed?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
.Tube launched into General Availability (GA) yesterday where they could be registered on a first come, first served basis.

Including the domain names registered in Sunrise, .tube wound up with just 647 registrations.

As we highlighted yesterday, many of the “better” .tube domain names were reserved or have very high premium prices up to $112,500.

Source

That looks like a low number and quite a disappointment, considering that this domain name could be a popular one among YouTube channels and video bloggers.
I predicted that the registrations would be upwards of 2,000 domains in this extension.

.Tube looks like a decent new gTLD to me, and can have a recognizable niche market among channel owners and video vloggers etc.

What are your views? Did you expect higher numbers too?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If I were a video blogger I would never use .tube.
.blog or .video would fit much better.......

•••
A little over optimistic on the pricing!

They deserve low registrations.

•••
The
If I were a video blogger I would never use .tube.
.blog or .video would fit much better.......

I was a video blogger and I would say that .tube is appropriate. Especially for people on YouTube. But it would mainly be a mirror for their channel so that they could monetize their content further (i.e. a lot of bloggers sell products but it is hard to make sales on YouTube.com).

•••
DownThe.tube is available - $1,540.00 - Renewal $22.00 / year (UniReg)

you.tube goes to the .tube registry - is youTube going to buy it and switch shortlinks from youtu.be to you.tube? Why didn't google just buy the extension?

http://www.thedomains.com/2015/03/1...elecom-llc-beats-google-to-the-tube-new-gtld/

And that makes it worse, google let it go in lieu of .youTube

I personally wouldn't want to use an extension that likely is most recognized/ identified with a commercial google product controlled by another company, I agree with @Rainmaker-NL , I'd go for a more generic extension, if there was one I trusted LOL

•••
If your business was all about making videos for YouTube you probably would want to be "identified" with them. @usernamex But you haven't made videos on a large scale for YouTube so you wouldn't know.

YouTube has a Partner program where you get 40%+ of the revenue generated through your videos. It is a very big business for the people with 250k+ subscribers.

•••
Sorry I wasn't clear - I WOULD use dot YouTube if it were offered in that situation in a heartbeat since that is the name Google went with, which appears to be the reason they secured it - https://icannwiki.com/.youtube
The sole purpose of the proposed gTLD, .youtube, is to host select YouTube channels’ digital content. The proposed gTLD will introduce a dedicated Internet space in which select YouTube channel providers can link to the content hosted on their respective YouTube page.

Google owns YouTube and dot YouTube - Google does not own dot Tube. Was attempting to express my opinion of using dot Tube, since it is NOT owned by Google : smile :

•••
Sorry I wasn't clear - I WOULD use dot YouTube if it were offered in that situation in a heartbeat since that is the name Google went with, which appears to be the reason they secured it - https://icannwiki.com/.youtube

Google owns YouTube and dot YouTube - Google does not own dot Tube. Was attempting to express my opinion of using dot Tube, since it is NOT owned by Google : smile :

Great catch!

I missed that one. I assumed that .YouTube would only be used internally. Your posts make sense now. Google did bid on .Tube but lost.

It is going to be very hard for .Tube to compete with .YouTube. It is kind of like trying to sell a .TV to a .COM investor back in the day during the initial stages of .TV.

It had some validity but the adoption rate was low.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back