IT.COM

Twitter username squatters

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RU

I'm out of domaining. ~RusselAccount Closed (Requested)
Impact
Hi,

Who took the username @dnprofessionals ? It was an available, I checked a few days ago.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey RU, it looks like it was registered in 2010 : https://twitter.com/dnprofessionals

I have checked for usernames in the past on several occasions and it said they were available, then later or the next day they weren't.

I think Twitter has some software issues...

•••
•••
You can change the Name that appears above the handle but the actual username/Twitter handle can't be changed. You have to create a new one from what they told me when I tried to change mine.

•••
I know you can get an old account acquired if it's not being used. Maybe you can get it that way. There are no Tweets so the account isn't being used. I looked it up before and if you contact Twitter and have a good reason, then they will sometimes hand over a username that's not being used in a long time. That one has no tweets.

•••
•••
Ive changed my twitter usernames on several occasions

•••
I've contacted twitter handle owners who haven't used them in a long time; some are total jerks about it - most have no clue why you would want it - few will ask for money - few will transfer it to you.

There is a neat-o trick how to find, and reclaim, unused Twitter handles that are associated (or match) domains you now own. ;)

•••
Twitter username Squatters "Who took the username @dnprofessionals ? It was an available, I checked a few days ago."

is that enough to call the owner of that Twitter handle a squatter, at first I thought maybe he had your exact company name, but it's a generic term!? I wouldn't hate on him I would offer him a price I can afford and go from there, and if things don't work out look for another option instead of calling people names.... I hope I don't come out as harsh I'm just straight forward with my thoughts Mr. Vip:)

•••
Twitter username Squatters "Who took the username @dnprofessionals ? It was an available, I checked a few days ago."

is that enough to call the owner of that Twitter handle a squatter, at first I thought maybe he had your exact company name, but it's a generic term!? I wouldn't hate on him I would offer him a price I can afford and go from there, and if things don't work out look for another option instead of calling people names.... I hope I don't come out as harsh I'm just straight forward with my thoughts Mr. Vip:)
It is a violation of Twitter rules and policies to sell or buy a Twitter Handle/Username. It happens a lot but still a bad idea. If they find out, he'll just loose it anyway and be out money!

•••
The title is quite misleading ....

•••
It is a violation of Twitter rules and policies to sell or buy a Twitter Handle/Username. It happens a lot but still a bad idea. If they find out, he'll just loose it anyway and be out money!
Oh I didn't know that, Facebook pages has the same rule. At least they acknowledge the value of a good URL:)

•••
Oh I didn't know that, Facebook pages has the same rule. At least they acknowledge the value of a good URL:)
Yeah, I almost found out the hard way. I was going to buy one I wanted and did a search and found out it's against Twitter policies. I didn't want to buy it and loose it so I just created something else.

In the early years, people would sell Twitter handles/usernames. People used to get good money for them regularly. It still happens, but under the table. That's why they stopped it.

You aren't even supposed to sell it with a domain or website. You can say that you are "Giving" it away with them, but can't phrase it to imply it's part of what's being bought. I got confirmation on all of their details throug dealing with support...

•••
I don't think just because you haven't made any tweets, it already means you are not using it and therefore must be given up to someone else.

I own a couple of popular username twitter accounts myself that have no tweets at all for the past 2-3 years.

I think all you got to do, is to make sure you log in to your twitter account every now and then. I usually log in about once a month, with zero tweets. All my accounts are still alive up to now.

•••
In order for it to be given to someone else, the account must be considered as being not used by Twitter AND someone has to have a good reason that they want it. As an example, if someone had an inactive Twitter account and you had a business name or it was your actual name then you could try to get the name from Twitter by following their process.

That doesn't mean that you would be able to get it, just that there is a chance. They don't just give you a name because you want it.

There are accounts that were created years ago but are not closed, even though no Tweets were made or haven't been made in years. Twitter usually won't close an account just because it's inactive. If someone has what they consider some kind of legitimate claim on an unused name, then it can be taken from the original owner but it's not a guarantee.

•••
Just put "TheReal" infront of the username you want, and you'll be fine. :D

•••
There is a neat-o trick how to find, and reclaim, unused Twitter handles that are associated (or match) domains you now own. ;)

What is that trick?

•••
Why an available username @dnprofessionals became unavailable after I added my domain to my domainnamesales account?! hmm :|

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back