Domain Empire

registrars Uniregistry Wins gTLD .Cars against Donuts and DERcars

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Uniregistry which has lost a bunch of recent new gTLD auctions, won a private auction for .Cars beating Donuts and DERcars which is Dominion Enterprises which applied for several new gTLD’s.
The short story is that Google had filed a string confusion objection with ICANN against the three applicants for .Cars losing two and winning one and then there was an reconsideration request.
Donuts and DERcar application for .Cars have been withdrawn
Full Article: http://www.thedomains.com/2014/12/06/uniregistry-wins-gtld-cars-beating-donuts-dercars/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is unfortunate for anyone hoping to grab a good .cars for a non-premium price, Uniregistry is by far the worst in holding the domains for themselves. We are talking about 20000+ words already reserved on GA. And yeah they had one exception in .click but that also means nothing from a commercial point of view and is among the weaker ones out there.

•••
This is unfortunate for anyone hoping to grab a good .cars for a non-premium price, Uniregistry is by far the worst in holding the domains for themselves. We are talking about 20000+ words already reserved on GA. And yeah they had one exception in .click but that also means nothing from a commercial point of view and is among the weaker ones out there.

To my knowledge, they let the public register domains first, and then they register domains from the leftovers for themselves.

•••
To my knowledge, they let the public register domains first, and then they register domains from the leftovers for themselves.

That's why they reserved domains like cow.audio & satan.audio completely useless domains but dictionary words on GA etc. I been looking to buy a lot of new gTLD's, Uniregistry are by far the worst one of them. This has been blogged about by others too. Then they register the XXXXX of them later without the public being able to register it. As far as I know it's nothing legally wrong doing it this way but it's just time-wasting for anyone looking to buy simple words.uniregistrysdomains.

•••
it's just time-wasting for anyone looking to buy simple words.uniregistrysdomains.

Other registries are doing the same thing via tactics like premium priced domains. The only difference is that you have to contact a Uniregistry broker to buy it at a premium price instead of paying your registrar the premium that is then paid to the registry.

•••
Other registries are doing the same thing via tactics like premium priced domains. The only difference is that you have to contact a Uniregistry broker to buy it at a premium price instead of paying your registrar the premium that is then paid to the registry.

There is no other registry with that many reserved as Uniregistry, defend them all you want but that is the truth. Donuts don't reserve entire dictionaries either. It's the same every time, serious investors end up with barely nothing of their domains. Guess you have some sort of relation to them since you act as their spokesperson.

•••
@vivaldi

We're talking about "simple words," as you put it. The problem is exactly the same, if not worse, with registries like Donuts and Rightside, but they use premium pricing and other tactics instead. I do not work for any of the registries, but I do understand how they operate.

I've experienced the same exact problem as you but very infrequently from Uniregistry. It sounds like you are waiting too long after the gTLDs launch to check availability or you don't understand how the reserved collision list works.

•••
@vivaldi

We're talking about "simple words," as you put it. The problem is exactly the same, if not worse, with registries like Donuts and Rightside, but they use premium pricing and other tactics instead. I do not work for any of the registries, but I do understand how they operate.

I've experienced the same exact problem as you but very infrequently from Uniregistry. It sounds like you are waiting too long after the gTLDs launch to check availability or you don't understand how the reserved collision list works.

Thanks but I understand it good enough to tell others my experience with Uniregistry domains. I'm not waiting to long etc. I know what I'm doing. It is possible to find decent domains at most other registries. The only one worse than Uniregistry are the ones who keep the entire extension for themselves :)

And I'm not alone on this experience with Uniregistry but you can keep defending them as you please. Hope they pay you for it.

•••
@vivaldi

Because I disgree with you, someone should pay me for it? That makes sense. I agree with you. Wait a minute...

Last edited:
•••
@vivaldi

Because I disgree with you, someone should pay me for it? That makes sense. I agree with you. Wait a minute...

Because what you say is not true, there is only one registry reserving XXXXX+ of dictionary words on every single extension (.click the exception). Sure most have premiums etc but they at least sell them to the public with only a few reserved. And that's why I find it strange you keep defending them because this is obvious to anyone who conspire in these new gTLD's on an active basis which I take it you most do when you claim you know how it works. Either you don't do that and thereby don't know what you are talking about or you got an interest in Uniregistry's well being.

•••
@vivaldi

I'm not defending them. I'm correcting you.

•••
No you're not. What have premium prices got to do with entire dictionaries being reserved? I been placing pre-orders on every single extension that actually has a meaning in English. Do you know how many Uniregistry domains I got, 0. This is the reason.

•••
@vivaldi

You've just made my point.

.Audio which launched earlier this month, had after its first day of general availability, just 701 registrations and had around 1,100 registrations before yesterday

Please reread what I wrote previously if you're unclear why I pasted the quote above from the article you linked.

http://uniregistry.link/about-pre-registrations
Second, some of the domain names that registrants seek at the opening of a new gTLD are reserved from registration. ICANN prohibits us from releasing certain domain names for sale. This prohibition includes some common words and all two-character domain names. We also are temporarily prohibited from releasing some popular domain names that are on ICANN's so-called "names collision" list. In some of our TLDs, the number of domains on the "names collision" list is in the tens of thousands. Likewise, under the ICANN required "Sunrise Period", certain rights holders are eligible to register names prior to the opening of general registration. After the sunrise period concludes, we also reserve from registration certain premium names that we will make available for registration in the future.

We have provided lists of reserved domain names, in all three of these categories, to our registrars.

My point is that you only know the number of premium priced domains by Uniregistry because of the way they are offering them: they register them and sell them at a premium themselves. Some registries are having the registrars sell their new gTLDs at a premium instead, and you don't know how many are premium priced because they aren't registered, unlike the ones at Uniregistry.

•••
I'm using the term used by the registries thanks anyway, what their whois tell me is good enough for me. "RESERVED BY THE REGISTRY" They reserve them, they register them of course they want to sell it after that. And there is were a domainer waste their time end of story. By doing so you can't buy them in time as with the others no price tag whatsoever on their "premiums" and that's a big difference.

This is not about the ICANN list and has never been. That's another case and got nothing to do with this.

•••
@vivaldi

The article you linked me to has nothing to do with what you've just said:
what their whois tell me is good enough for me. "RESERVED BY THE REGISTRY"

Once again, this indicates that you don't fully understand how this works.

The WHOIS will report several messages for reserved domain names:
  • "This name is reserved by the Registry in accordance with ICANN Policy"
  • "This name is not available for registration"
  • "Reserved Domain Name"
  • “Sorry, that name is not available for registration” (ref.)
  • "This domain is not available for registration"
  • "The name you are trying to register is reserved by the Registry."
  • And so on.
The vast majority of these reserved domains are due to ICANN, not the registries. In other words, the registries have to reserve them because ICANN Policy dictates it.

Among others, ICANN told the registries they must reserve these domains:
There are also terms (SLDs) reserved across all top-level domains: Reserved Names for New gTLDs (ICANN):
  • "Example"
  • Two-character labels
  • Reservations for registry operations
  • Country and territory names
  • International Olympic Committee; International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
  • Intergovernmental Organizations
Composition of Reserved Name List
  • ICANN Requirements: Mandated by ICANN to be reserved or blocked.
  • Local Laws or Regulatory Requirements: Reserved under applicable laws or regulations.
  • Marketing Programs: Reserved under the Registry's marketing or strategic programs.
The registries may impose their own restrictions and limitations in addition to the ICANN mandated reserved names, but the party responsible for the reservation of a particular domain is not specified in the WHOIS (generally).

•••
So you telling me to read your posts over and over again but you don't read mine :)

This is not about the ICANN list even if you want it to or not. So there is no need for you to explain what it is any further. You lack to see what this is about and for that you keep wasting my time.

Uniregistry reserve an huge pile of dictionary domains (NOT ON THE ICANN LIST), register them later for themselves = domainers waste their time on pre-orders and most probably won't make any good buys.

•••
I've read your posts. As I said, I've experienced the same issues as you. The problem is that you continue to assume that the "huge pile of dictionary domains" that you want are reserved by the registry for the registry. Some are, but not all. If you look at the data, you'll see that there are tons of dictionary words in those ICANN mandated reserve lists.

Anyways, I've outlined everything clearly for you if you want to learn more.

•••
Never said all of them were either but I did check that list Berkens blogged about. The list who aren't available to the public anymore and not bound to the ICANN list. Also did bulk check the whois on that .audio GA and the result of that is what I base my opinion on in this case. There were a lot of domains also unreserved in that case, dictionary domains of no value.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back