Dynadot

question Using "POT" when "WEED" is not available?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What are your thoughts on using POT for a weed related domain? How often do you hear or see businesses in the USA using POT in their domain or business?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've sold a few 'pot' domains, cheap. It's not a desirable keyword. Established companies typically use their trade name or stock ticker symbol (3 or 4L), but startups are generally pretty creative in the cannabis field, with 'canna' keyword embedded. I've sold dozens of '420' domains over the years, but not on the high end.

•••
I have the best of every keyword- pot, hemp, cbd, canna…

Sold β€œpot” domains for 6 figures, CBD and Canna for 5 figures many times.

Are folks still buying these? I have a treasure trove.

•••
If you look at dispensary names in the United States weed or pot is rarely used. You see alot of green, leaf, wellness, cannabis, therapeutics holistic tonic in the names or names that don’t use niche terms at all.

I found a couple with Kush one with Dank one with Bake several with word High.

These places provide medical and recreational so they chose more serious sounding names. Make of that what you will. I personally don’t think there is much of a market for anything beyond the very best keywords.

Hemp and CBD products are in their own category and also lean towards more elegant names.

•••
Marijuana is more of a professional term .
Pot can mean flower pots or cooking pots
Cannabis is more of a rogue name

•••
Marijuana is more of a professional term .
Pot can mean flower pots or cooking pots
Cannabis is more of a rogue name

Marihuana (with an 'h') is actually used more often in medical reports and scientific articles than marijuana (with a 'j').
'Cannabis' is a term referring to the plant (and products) in general, it's currently in vogue, while marijuana usually refers to the dried bud. For instance, hash is cannabis, but not marijuana.

Last edited:
•••
It seems that many serious businesses stay away from, hemp, cannabis, weed, pot, smoke, marijuana. This is probably due to some etiquette to not assimilate the biz directly to a drug plant, that is why they use non direct words and brands, such as labs, farms, grow, growth, oils, bloom, green, gardens, field, leaf, short cann+word or mari+word as brandable.
I have looked many companies but did not find CBD or THC in the brand name, also I have seen many use holdings or group, which of course is a popular term in other areas of online biz.
Maybe such words pot, hemp and weed are used more by end users for personal website about cannabis but not serious biz, which are worth millions.

•••
Not really Pot. Pot of soup. Melting Pot, etc

•••
Pass it to the left of the dot, mostly undesirable than not

but there are exeptions, @900Worldwide MeltingPot is actually a great name in this niche

•••
Have a look at existing businesses names listed at Cannabis Industry Business Directory | Ganjapreneur

Cheers
Corey

•••
I just read Pot and Weed as very much the words of the 60's to 80's. The flower-Power generation. More used amongst the older generation today for sure. Mention those two words on the street today, particularly Pot and people may give you a wry smile

Last edited:
•••
I only hold two related domains:xf.grin:
herbstoned,com
stonedherb,com

•••
I only hold two related domains:xf.grin:
herbstoned,com
stonedherb,com
Congratulations here are some cookies

•••
Why not "narcotics", or simply DrugAddict.com?

•••
•••
Is using hemp still relevant? I only have one hyphenated name, but a very good one.

Last edited:
•••
I have the best of every keyword- pot, hemp, cbd, canna…

Sold β€œpot” domains for 6 figures, CBD and Canna for 5 figures many times.

Are folks still buying these? I have a treasure trove.
Indeed. Are folks still buying these?

I have a bunch. Cannabis and canna good. Ganja bad. Haven't tried "pot." Canada sales were common a few years ago, so should we expect a similar boom when cannabis is declassified and banking laws change in the US?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back