NameSilo

w-o-r-d-s .com domains, who has them or is buying them and why...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I didn't want to start this but if people are buying there must be a value so lets discuss. I was reading in appraisals someone asking about some w-o-r-d with hyphens and was getting ripped apart- all replies when I read it was reg fee/lower than reg reg etc.

What motivated me was snap had listed in their "most active" email n-a-v-y.com $30.00. I have been watching and a lot have been not even getting to live auctions($60) ex- c-o-u-n-t-r-y q-a-t-a-r ... I have only 2 and I grabbed them as I am not looking for type-ins but they can be brandable and I like to have a bit of everything in my portfolio.

f-a-s-h-i-o-n
b-a-n-k-i-n-g

Alright, rip away, Gary.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last year I got a crazy idea and decided to buy some hack w-o-r-d.nets, such as

m-e-s-h.net
f-i-s-h.net
t-e-n-n-i-s.net
d-r-a-g.net
s-i-n-g-l-e-s.net
c-a-b-i.net
p-l-a.net

what do you all think?

funny, i actually registerd a hyphenated leet domain too ... 5-e-x.com

i have some other .coms i would like to sell as well,

F-A-L-L.COM
F-L-A-P.COM
H-O-W-L.COM
H-Y-M-N.COM
P-O-N-D.com

if anyone is interested

•••
I see V-O-D-K-A.com is getting bid up nicely here at NP's auction. Anyone have any other sales to post?

I have put up for auction one of my favorites here at NP's W-O-R-D-S.com, lets see how it goes...

g-

•••
buckshotdots said:
I see V-O-D-K-A.com is getting bid up nicely here at NP's auction. Anyone have any other sales to post?

I have put up for auction one of my favorites here at NP's W-O-R-D-S.com, lets see how it goes...

g-

I sold p-l-o-t.com for $21 through ebay, many other names sold less than reg fee,
these days its really difficult to sell domains esepcially words with hypen one.

•••
It was shocking when my name, G-R-E-E-C-E.com reached $50 in 6 hours here at Namepros :) I never thought that this kind of domain is so marketable.
So I regged some more, maybe I'll get more than regfee for them :)

•••
It is very interesting to see all these hyphenated names doing so well on NamePros auctions.
I have O-S-A-K-A .com and I-S-R-A-E-L dot net for sale and will see how it goes.

Last edited:
•••
Lot of hyphenated domain auctions here atm :tu:
The last hyphenated name that pulled my attention was c-l-i-c-k but should be developed :snaphappy:

•••
w-o-r-d sale at SEDO

buckshotdots said:

I sold r-e-c-o-v-e-r.com at SEDO for $400 - 12/23/08.

I regged it in May 08, put it on SEDO for $499 and got a $400 offer. It went to auction and closed with no additional bids.

Hang on to your hyphens. :)

-A-

•••
Last edited:
•••
saucey said:
:hi:

Just reg'd

L-E-S-B-I-A-N-S.com

Think I can find a buyer??

Saucey. :)
THAT IS NICE ME LIKEY :p

•••
buckshotdots said:

g-
I really like V-O-D-K-A, though I never drink the stuff. The price is currently at either $60 (chillaxin's bid) or $70 (my bid) depending on the NP time stamp. I personally can't figure out what time is being displayed. Is this site in EST?

W-O-R-D-S.com is an awesome name too. The current price is at $25 (my bid), but we'll see what happens.

•••
•••
With domains like this, are you relying on the bigger fool theory?

•••
l-l-l-l-l == lllll

Just_Dave said:
With domains like this, are you relying on the bigger fool theory?
Actually, (though I can't speak for anyone else) I am relying on the fact that most people use Google instead of their browser. Most people don't understand the difference between the two. When a person types in Vodka, to find information about Vodka, they do it in Google rather than their browser address bar. Since Google and the other SEs provide the exact same results for V-O-D-K-A as they do VODKA, it is possible to use the hyphenated name to climb upward in the SEs. The big difference is that V-O-D-K-A costs $60 and VODKA costs 1 million plus. Understand?

•••
bionichead said:
Since Google and the other SEs provide the exact same results for V-O-D-K-A as they do VODKA....
Most search providers use their own independent algorithms which are dynamic, not static and the number of people typing hyphens between letters when searching is nil.

Last edited:
•••
bionichead said:
Actually, (though I can't speak for anyone else) I am relying on the fact that most people use Google instead of their browser. Most people don't understand the difference between the two. When a person types in Vodka, to find information about Vodka, they do it in Google rather than their browser address bar. Since Google and the other SEs provide the exact same results for V-O-D-K-A as they do VODKA, it is possible to use the hyphenated name to climb upward in the SEs. The big difference is that V-O-D-K-A costs $60 and VODKA costs 1 million plus. Understand?

So, bionichead, you're saying that if a searcher types in "Vodka" into the search box (as opposed to the URL box), he or she could pull up V-o-d-k-a.com on page one, IF the owner has done the proper SEO work.

Right?

I think we all know that no one is going to type in V-o-d-k-a.com into the URL box.

•••
Ms Domainer said:

So, bionichead, you're saying that if a searcher types in "Vodka" into the search box (as opposed to the URL box), he or she could pull up V-o-d-k-a.com on page one, IF the owner has done the proper SEO work.

Right?

I think we all know that no one is going to type in V-o-d-k-a.com into the URL box.

That's exactly what I mean. You are right. Nobody is going to type: V-o-d-k-a.com (or any other hyphenated word), but that is not important. A lot of people will use their browser to go directly to vodka.com, but a lot of other people will just type VODKA in their SE of choice.

Many non-computer industry people, just watch your family and friends, use Google (yahoo, live, etc..) exactly in this manner (as if the SE were the browser address bar). That's significant. I've seen people go to Yahoo, by typing Yahoo into Google's search, instead of using their browser address bar.

You can see that people do this in large numbers, if you go to the Google Keyword Tool and do a search on Yahoo. Here are the Approx Avg Search Volume for these terms: Yahoo (30,400,000), cnn (13,600,000), hotmail (45,500,000), youtube (68,000,000), ebay (37,200,000) and even Google (11,100,000). This means that people are using their SE to find CNN.com (by typing CNN or CNN.com) instead of simply typing it cnn.com directly into the address bar.

A lot of people are not going to go to V-O-D-K-A.com or VODKA.com. They are going to go to Google.com and type VODKA into Google Search and then navigate to the site Google tells them is the most likely to have their information. This gives hyphenated words an equal chance to grab an audience at a lot lower cost.

As far as one can tell by the SERPs, vodka and v-o-d-k-a are the same word. V-o-d-k-a returns the same results as VODKA.

Results 1 - 100 of about 27,300,000 for vodka
Results 1 - 100 of about 27,300,000 for v-o-d-k-a

Of course, most everyone in this thread knows this information. My response was directed to the comment about "the greater fool" theory. I think hyphen domains are quality long-term investments.

•••
bionichead said:
Of course, most everyone in this thread knows this information.

I sure did not. I came in here to flame-bait, but got shut down.

Never thought I'd look a hyphenated domain with a glimmer of anyhting but disdain. Wow.

•••
I won v-o-d-k-a.com tee hee

saucey said:
Make an offer.... :]

I would, but Im in the process of getting an lll.org that is a very popular word and industry. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
•••
bionichead said:
As far as one can tell by the SERPs, vodka and v-o-d-k-a are the same word. V-o-d-k-a returns the same results as VODKA.

Results 1 - 100 of about 27,300,000 for vodka
Results 1 - 100 of about 27,300,000 for v-o-d-k-a

This is voodoo SEO at best. You keep talking about SERPs yet readly admit that no one will ever type in the hyphenated version.

•••
MicroGuy said:
This is voodoo SEO at best. You keep talking about SERPs yet readly admit that no one will ever type in the hyphenated version.

I don't think it's about the hyphens. It's about SEO and exact matches..

Vodka.com and V-o-d-k-a .com are viewed the same by search engines, therefore, if proper seo is done for v-o-d-k-a, it will easily land a high ranking in the search engines.

It doesn't matter if it has hyphens, people will just click on the SE result to enter the website.

This is my understanding of the explanation at least....

:blink:

•••
saucey said:
Vodka.com and V-o-d-k-a .com are viewed the same by search engines, therefore, if proper seo is done for v-o-d-k-a, it will easily land a high ranking in the search engines.

Where is the evidence? I have found no valid data to support that assertion.

( using the logic above 'V-----odka' is also viewed the same returning 24,900,000 results. (:blink:))

Last edited:
•••
MicroGuy said:
( using the logic above 'V-----odka' is also viewed the same returning 24,900,000 results. (:blink:))

Exactly!

Now your getting it!

I might reg.... v---------------------------------------------odka ! :gn:

•••
saucey said:
I might reg.... v---------------------------------------------odka !

That wouldn't surprise me the least bit. 8-X 8-X 8-X 8-X

You might want to register v---------------------------odka.tel as a defensive reg while you're at it. :blink:

Last edited:
•••
LOL!

I will admit.... I own A-N-D-R-E-W.com for sentimental reasons, and L-E-S-B-I-A-N-S.com.....just cause. Besides that, I have not and will not buy anymore... :bah:

•••
I thought that search engines view hyphens in domains as a space, and they also have a dictionary to find words in non hyphenated domains. Unless they can tell that although v o d k a are not words, if there are no spaces it is a word.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back