Dynadot

opinion What is up with .TV and .Mobi? Why do people buy those?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm a little baffled. Every time I look for any domain, the .tv is gone every time, and so is the .mobi. What am I missing here? I thought those two extensions were dead dogs. Every single .tv is gone and can't figure it out.

Insured.tv is still available though... estibot has it at $830. I'm taking a pass. So is unions.mobi.

Bargainhunter.co is currently available....

Here's a few more available. Courageous.us, supplystore.us, tasties.us, unions.biz, delinquency.co, etc...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if insured.tv is worth $830, then why didn't you buy it.....don't you trust the bot?

:)

•••
•••
I know insured.tv is at $830. I was doing you guys a favor. It's still available. I thought someone would have bought it. I'm on a domain buying budget

•••
Shaft.biz is available, and so is shafts.biz. I'm just on a budget, but thought I would share those.

•••
females.la is available, and so is usmc.la and alcu.la. The only one I bought was copd.la.

•••
Shaft.biz is available, and so is shafts.biz. I'm just on a budget, but thought I would share those.

•••
Consultation.la is available. estibot has it at 1200

•••
Over at DNF, but it is a little dead over there. Just got back into buying names on the side.

•••
disposals.us is available... that could be ok.

•••
maybe ask on the tv section sure they would love to talk to you lol

•••
The tv people are insane. Puss.tv is gone. but puss.mobi is still there. Gives hope for the .mobi people. Ya.... thought I would check. hehe

•••
.Mobi was a massively overhyped TLD targeted toward mobile sites which drew interest even from big-time domainers like Rick Schwartz who spent $200k on Flowers.mobi. I met someone once who ended up losing more than a million dollars on .MOBI domains. If you look at DNPRIC.ES or Namebio you will see most of the big dollar purchases were December 2006 to March 2008. Five-figure .Mobi sales are extremely rare in recent years (only three in the last few years and none in 2015 over $2500 per Namebio).

.TV was launched fifteen years ago with the idea of being a great brand for video-oriented content websites. .TV has limited acceptance among developers of video-oriented sites and broadband connections are much more common now than when .TV was first launched. The FCC announced this week $9 BILLION in funding over six years through its Connect America program to provide funds to US telecommunications providers to build broadband infrastructure in rural communities (more than 7 million consumers). Viewing video content over dialup connections is not practical but you don't need a .TV domain to put video on a website. I have sold some .TV domains even Carrera.TV (racing in Spanish) this summer but $28-$30 renewals get expensive real fast.

It is unfortunate that the lessons of past TLD launches have been disregarded as there is once again massive speculation in new TLDs with little regard to acquisition cost, renewals or how many years it may take for an aftermarket to develop (meanwhile investors get stuck paying renewals with no sales to fund them).

•••
I remember when flowers.mobi was sold. I actually sold pandemicflu.mobi back then for $2,500, lol. Ouch.

I bought moped.mobi because it's the only worthwhile .mobi I've seen. Domainers still buy .mobi like they're the hottest thing around and better than .com. Can't figure that out. Really strange.

•••
So - regarding .tv - is it dead in the water or is there life in the old dog yet, to mix a metaphor?

There's one or two I have my eye on, and I like the sound of "----.tv", it's catchy.

•••
I prefer .TV over most any new TLD. It has been around for fifteen years and has limited adoption among developers. $30 renewals get expensive quickly so be selective. Regardless, you will likely be picking up my .TV drops....

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back