Dynadot

.info What Potential Is There For .WS/.INFO?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was thinking of buying a bunch of "mainstream - over 100,000 overture" domains for various tv shows, actors, entertainment items, videogames, etc with the .ws/.info extension.

However, because I've been burned with my premium forum domains, I don't want that to happen again.

Say I had a domain like Friends.WS or something; what potential is there to make a sale? Can I expect thousands, tens of thousands, or just hundreds?

And, on top of that, are there buyers here interested in .WS domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
On .WS odds are the sale would be under $100. Very few crack 3 figures unless developed with compelling content. You mentioned .info in the same breath with .ws. Those are two completely different animals. IMO .info has unlimited potential. Over the next few years I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it pass all other extensions except .com in recognition and registrations.

•••
With many .WS domains, I wouldn't expect hundreds or thousands. Perhaps two figure sums?

From what it seems, the .WS extension seems to be a poor reseller. I'm not sure about end users, but I can't see there being alot of money in it for the mean time. Perhaps in a few years down the line, though, things will improve, or at least, I think so.

I'm personally, interested in .WS domains, but there really isn't much in it for them at the moment.

.INFO extension domains seem to be popular with actors/actresses, but in all honesty, there still isn't much in resell for them unless they are a big time celeb, and/or the name gets alot of traffic. I could be wrong though, however I have noticed celebrity names taking a big step to the .INFO extension.

•••
.info rulez! .ws I will not comment on. The reg fee is a little too high and lets face it, nobody is going to go corporate on a .ws

•••
Okay, then an example like Friends.info - would I expect more in the hundreds/thousands range?

•••
Certainly hundreds and low four figures would be a possibility. There have been many four figure (and even five figure) .info sales and the extension is just getting started. Check out the weekly sale reports at DNJournal.com to see how strong .info has become over the past 6 months.

•••
I would think that friends.info should fetch high $XXX to low $XXXX.

.orgs are nice as well.

Good-luck,
ST

•••
Originally posted by .edu
The reg fee is a little too high and lets face it, nobody is going to go corporate on a .ws

The .WS extension registration is too high? At $10 at GoDaddy, I don't see that as much of a threat!

I have however, noticed a few companies gone corporate on the .WS extension. They where money/loan type websites.

I'd say give the .WS extension a few years! :D

•••
Why would you want to invest into .ws Western Samoa when you can have .pw Palau Islands?? Personally, I prefer .bz Belize to the two.

But if you are humanitarian in nature, you may want to wing some money over to .tv They need it most
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/column...27-tuvalu_x.htm

•••
For my 2 cents, I too like the .info extension for several reasons.

First of all, it has a world-wide appeal, as "info" is common to many languages.

Second of all, it is still young and I concur with Duke that I think it will rise to very high popularity. I'd say that very shortly it'll meet or surpass the average .net in popularity on a world-wide scale.

Thirdly, while good .info names are still relatively cheap on the resale market right now, I have noticed a very strong trend of growth in value and amounts paid for .info names. For example, 3 months ago you could get a random 3-letter .info for registration fee. Now, that same .info is worth a minimum of probably $20 and likely more as all are currently registered! Depending on how much registration fees are, that's a good 2-3 times return on just an average name. And yes, this may be an unfair example for all .info names in general, but perhaps it should still tell us something.

Additionally, .info is a great extension for people, places and things. City names, destinations, celebrities, and objects and items for sale as well as company names are all great choices for .info and for which that extension makes great sense.

Maybe I'm just a little over-optomistic, but I'm happy to be investing strongly in .info now for what I see as a great possible return in both the near and distant future!

And for what it's worth regarding .ws...who knows. I only own one .ws name right now and as far as I see it, it's a toss up extension at best. Time will tell.

•••
i dont think .ws will go very far but .info might.

personally i did reg a few .ws for my own development purpose.

and i dont think .ws can reach a very high figure. But for .info, the potential is there. keep it a few years, probably you can fetch a nice price.

•••
I think as in all domain names, value can shoot up exponentially with the right development, even .ws.

My point is simple that it sucks if you talk about branding values. I was one of the suckers who was sold into the story more than 4 years ago that .ws was World Site and the "long awaited addition to .com, .net, .org"

I quickly learnt that it meant Western Samoa and dropped it like pants on fire. Till I die, the lesson learnt on commercial misrepresentation by those purely out to profit by twisting meanings will never leave me.

•••
Have to agree with comments so far, .info has a lot of potential whilst I think .ws is just going to end up as another ' dead end ' TLD.

•••
I have had a comfortable feeling about .WS and own about 3 of them, but lately I have been warming up towards .INFO for which I have regged another 3-4 good ones. Very often, .INFO can even surpass .COM in terms of relevance. It's a bonus that .INFO can be cheaply regged.

•••
I don't have much hope on .ws either.
I don't see them sold for too much in the reseller level (I cannot comment on the end user level of things).
INFO is very nice if the term suits the extension.
Good luck!

•••
I remember going ballistic when I learned that my single word beauties were followed by the W.Samoan cctld and not by "WebSite", which was how GoDddy had sold it to me. I later went through the promotional email and, yes, there it was, W.Samoa, in print, albeit at approx size 7 underneath a size 28"Website!". I later dumped the 4 .ws domains that I owned.
Despite this, I have been coming back to .ws and have acquired a few names again- one name because I am terribly fond of it, it was the only ext avail in my price range, and I didn't have the patience to wait a year or so following the other tlds, waiting for another ext that just might drop. The others, were picked up for their search/keyword value, and as a small insurance policy to cover the possibility of .ws gaining more acceptence.

.Info rocks, although, w/ the exceptions of the top sales, appears to be taking a breather, waiting for the three character rush, and the first large surge of .us drops to slow a little, before resuming it's strong rise. (<-my unscientific observations and opinion).

•••
When they were trying to promote .ws, I also was told it stood for website!

•••
.ws it rubbish and it will never take off.

•••
I think .ws will have value only for keywords and SEO, which could be very important and lucrative depending on the term.

.info I have a lot of faith in. It just makes a lot of sense. Most of people's internet time are spent searching for info, and .info websites can help fill this need.

•••
.WS have no future but .info will just get better in the future.

•••
try to stick with .com .net and .org if you can

•••
I feel secure about my $8.70 .ws registrations, I certainly won't lose any of my investment thats for sure.

Mike

•••
eh, I'm not a big fan of .ws :P

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back