Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Dear Matt Wheeler,

using the WHOIS database I found out that you own the domain
"sandie.org". Furthermore it seems to me that this domain is
still unused up to now.

The reason for this email is that I would like to ask you
whether it is possible to get this domain from you.

I belong to the University of Leipzig (Germany). In the near
future our University will start the coordination of a
non-commercial research project funded by the European
Commission. The (short) acronym of this project is "SANDiE".

Since the start of the project approaches we are looking for
an appropriate internet domain name. Among other
possibilities, "sandie.org" would be one of our preferences.

Therefore I would like to know if it is possible that you
could transfer the domain to us (the University of Leipzig).
If so, please let me know your conditions (remember that we
are a non-commercial educational and research organisation).

I would be very pleased if you could give me a short reply,
even for your refusal.

Thank you and best wishes

-----------------------
Now, obviously, this is for Sandie.org

(I knew I reged it for a reason..lol)

soooooooo, the question is now obvious, what should i ask for.

I was thinking in the realms of 1500 Euros.

Let me know guys, and I would like to see the big guns comments please, even if by PM.

Rgds
Matt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ask them for an offer so you know about where they are.

•••
Appraisal thread some time back:
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
$175 - $275+ to the right "Sandie", IMHO. They are out there amongst the Google ... most without their own "real" domains/websites. Trick is in the approach, reasonableness of the Offer, and relaying the advantages to having one's own name for whatever online needs, wishes, hopes. ;)
Best of Luck.

Since they approached you, they have a legitimate interest in the domain name for future development/usage ... and the fact that they ARE still "remember that we are a non-commercial educational and research organisation" - $1,750 - $2,750 U.S. (10x my original Appraisal amounts and being on the up'ishside for further negotiations until eventual successful sale), IMHO.
All the best, Matt! :tu:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Thanks Jeff. I still think more can be asked for imo :)

1500 euros = $1750

I'm hedging higer thinking more about it. I mean, the Euro Commision is dishing out money over fist to people atm, and just gave the Greek Olympic commision 2.9BILLION POUNDS!!!

Maybe 3-5,000 Euros

•••
Note how they never asked to buy this domain! The email reads, as if they are asking if you'd give them it for free.

"The reason for this email is that I would like to ask you whether it is possible to get this domain from you."

"Therefore I would like to know if it is possible that you could transfer the domain to us (the University of Leipzig)."

I've never had one of them kind of emails before. In my somewhat short experiance, the emails state cleary that the recipient is interested in buying the domain. This email to you, however, looks like the recipient wants you to just give them the domain!

They also hint the likes of:

"If so, please let me know your conditions (remember that we are a non-commercial educational and research organisation)."

...Trying to point out the fact they won't be making money from the domain.

It also looks as if they are asking for your 'conditions' of giving them the domain for free... Like ads on the website... Just like free hosting.

Does that make sence!? Just my silly 2 cents worth!

•••
It does, howeverrrrrrrr....lol

I've done a little homework on the guy and what he does. He seems to be a kinda wunder kid in physics.....

He also seems to be involved in : Nano-Optoelectronics: Concepts, Physics and Devices

along with : semiconductors.

As far as I know, the general process of new development is :

Research/project - military - commercial - end user

Rgds
Matt

•••
Originally posted by SY4
Maybe 3-5,000 Euros

Sweetness! :tu:
Give 'em hell and please keep us posted, Matt.
:talk:

•••
Sy4,

He is 100% leading you in to a trap he never once asked or suggested he wanted to buy the domain i have had a few like this and replyed with a number saying ill sell it. 2 weeks later i have letter from a laywer about a tm and i only want to sell the name with a copy of the email.

Maybe not the same, but i would be carefull as he never even hinted he wanted to pay you a penny.

Think!

•••
However..... heheheh

I actually bought this name for my wifes Sister, in the US, who, oddly enough, is indeed called Sandie.

I just havent had a chance to set up the email and web for her. But then, she had a major heart attack and it will be a while until she can use it.

I might point this out, and say that if they would be willing to make a "compasionate" offer to assist in my wife going to the US for a month to be with her, this would indeed be an acceptable trade for the domain ;) lol

•••
Originally posted by SY4
However..... heheheh

I actually bought this name for my wifes Sister, in the US, who, oddly enough, is indeed called Sandie.

In this case, then ... Priceless! :xf.love:

Even better than cash money, right? :blink:
B-)

•••
To a point. But if we could both go over for a few weeks to see her and such, THAT would be priceless :)

•••
Originally posted by SY4
To a point. But if we could both go over for a few weeks to see her and such, THAT would be priceless :)

I catch your drift ... :tu:

Crank out that (finely-worded) reply and let's see what becomes of this one.
Getting pumped up on its prospects now. :talk:
WoooHooo.

•••
Welp, here's the response. I dont "think" I'm directly asking for cash as such. More of a "trade" :)

--------------

Thanks for the email you sent me today. Appologies for the delay in
responding to you, however, I dont have access to the email whilst at work
:(

I bought the domain a while ago to develop for my Wifes sister in the US as
her name is Sandie. I have not really considered selling the domain as it is
for her and her email. However, there have been some significant
developments in the last 2 mths which are, to say, not good ones. She had a
major heart attack and had to have a tripple heart bypass. She was in
surgary not 30 days ago for 10 hrs and they managed to sort out "most" of
the issues, but she is still in a very tender way, for obvious reasons.

As much as she wants to work with the domain and utilise it, it has been put
asside as her health and recouperation is far more important. However, this
being said, I know my wife and myself would much prefer to be over there
with her, but financially, this is not viable. I also understand from your
email, that being non profit, you certainly do not have thousands and
thousands of euros to spend on a domain name purely for a project.

I have discussed the situation with my wife, and she would prefer to develop
it for her as a present. However, I would like to suprise both my sister
inlaw and wife by getting us both over to be with her for a few weeks, and,
If letting go of this domain was to facilitate this gesture, then I would be
willing to consider this as an option.

Let me know what you think and whether you think we could come to some
agreement on the situation.

Kind Regards and potential appologies,

•••
Originally posted by d0mainguru
Sy4,

He is 100% leading you in to a trap he never once asked or suggested he wanted to buy the domain i have had a few like this and replyed with a number saying ill sell it. 2 weeks later i have letter from a laywer about a tm and i only want to sell the name with a copy of the email.

Maybe not the same, but i would be carefull as he never even hinted he wanted to pay you a penny.

Think!

Hi, I am affraid I gree with d0mainguru...an average "end-user" don't choose their words carefully, like in above letter!

You may want to state that you have plans for the domain...then state that you are not sure about the intent of their letter (even though you know it! But you still have all the rights to get a clear and better understanding from them!)

Avoid offering it to them for sale directly! unless you're ok with getting less than the WIPO complaint fee ($2000) If they and/or the sponsor of the project hold(s) a trademark of the word "sandie."

Engage them first in taking the "initiative" to make you a direct offer and showing an "intent to buy your domain" from their part.

Simply ask them the following :
"Are you offering to buy it?" don't use "my domain" if you're going to claim later that you've registered it for your niece.

If they offer directly to "buy" it , then you may want to mention that you will have to talk to your niece, Sandie, about it.

Don't ruch to respond to them! Wait 3 days before you reply (hopefully, you'll get more suggestions from other members!

You can always ask them for a NOT-for- profit verification. Here in the USA, many university sell their research projects for millions of dollars to private sectors!

Good luck and keep us updated!

•••
BTW Guys, a TM issue / UDRP aint gunna happen on the domain. I've checked with forces above ;) lol

•••
SY4 just give them hell ;D

€x,xxx

•••
Love the response, SY. An indirect reply to an indirect question. :tu:

btw, I'm moving this thread over to legal issues so it doesn't get indexed by Google.

•••
Originally posted by SY4
BTW Guys, a TM issue / UDRP aint gunna happen on the domain. I've checked with forces above ;) lol

I like your response letter, SY4! Hopefully, everything will work out just fine!
in my case, when you deal with wipo and udrp for several times, you start flagging potential problems and dealing with every email Cautiously! It's just the risk of the game! some go smoothly some don't! and you need to be prepared!

Good luck!

•••
you have some typos in your response letter (tripple should be triple, surgary should be surgery).

I'm not sure if these were intentional for effect, but I thought I would point them out.

•••
lol....Thanks RB.
I did run spell check before it was sent, not before i C&P'd :)

Rgds
MAtt

•••
There seems to be something telling me that this indeed is some sort of trap! But my instincts say that this guy/school is looking for a fee ride, and trying to save the money to buy some lab equiptment or something of the sort....

There will never be an issue as far as trademark goes on this domain...the domain is not being used and Sandie/sandy/sandi are all peoples names so...
I would boldly ask for 5,000 Euros. End of story.

•••
I agree with domainblasters. If I were to start an organization named 'Jason' and put a trademark on the name Jason being used for whatever the organization does, I can't sue for Jason.com, simply because it has other meanings, including being a name.

•••
Ask the school to do a little physics work for you -build a super collider or something :)

•••
Welp...lol

Got a mail back basically offering alot of compation, however, they were not prepared to consider anything over 200 euros as that is there budget....lol

What ya think...take the worm?

•••
Originally posted by SY4
What ya think...take the worm?

At the wrath of Sandie (and/or your wife) :!:
I'm not touching this one with a ten-foot Grrilla.
:laugh:

:notme:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back