IT.COM

What would you do if you had a list of best 50.000 unregistered domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Hypothetical question:

What would you do if you had a list of best ~50.000 unregistered domains?

But not enough cash today to register them. (that'd be like half mil)

Names that WILL sell in large % the next 5 years on 4-5 digit figures, based on growing scarcity, industry analysis, price history analysis and everything together analyzed and ranked by a computer big brain.

Sort of like an AI system of largest domain platforms would generate, if you want.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
This is an answer that differs from domainer to domainer. Insert yours.

I agree on subjectivity but that's a different discussion altogether. The simple idea is, you program the AI to mirror your investor persona and let it run on that.

Alright.

•••
Really worry that I had 49,500 too many domains to manage for one person.

Last edited:
•••
I actually got a pretty nice batch out of the massive scan.
Really worry that I had 49,500 too many domains to manage for one person.

It was a hypothetical question anyway. and by my own tests there are only few worth any attention.

Otherwise, there are domainers managing such numbers...

•••
1. Get investors interested, do projections etc.

2. Register 1000 random names from your 50K list, give them a year and see how much you make in sales.

If you spend $8.5K and generate 10 sales at $1500 post commission, minus another 8.5K for renewals, you are left with $6.5K return on the investment or 70%+ return.

With that your investor(s) should be persuaded that you have a great investment opportunity and should pony up half a million to register 50K+ names from your current list and another one you'll re-run then.

PS what is your track record from similar names for now?

•••
1. Get investors interested, do projections etc.

2. Register 1000 random names from your 50K list, give them a year and see how much you make in sales.

If you spend $8.5K and generate 10 sales at $1500 post commission, minus another 8.5K for renewals, you are left with $6.5K return on the investment or 70%+ return.

With that your investor(s) should be persuaded that you have a great investment opportunity and should pony up half a million to register 50K+ names from your current list and another one you'll re-run then.

PS what is your track record from similar names for now?

Thanks, good comments. But guess you have skimmed the thread.

There is no 50K list (or 10K list or whatever). And when asked what is the domains' profile, I said "insert yours" as each domainer is different.

This is still a hypothetical thread. I did some tests but not using AI, kind of probing the depth of regging, just enough to see that: While something like this is remotely possible, it is also unlikely due to the mass "extinction" of available .com names.

Oh, and there are not 50K but like 5M names available but suitable for the rubbish bin, like those that don't make sense to humans.

Edit: I still got like 50 names at the end of mass scanning, but that's it.

•••
Thanks, good comments. But guess you have skimmed the thread.

There is no 50K list (or 10K list or whatever). And when asked what is the domains' profile, I said "insert yours" as each domainer is different.

This is still a hypothetical thread. I did some tests but not using AI, kind of probing the depth of regging, just enough to see that: While something like this is remotely possible, it is also unlikely due to the mass "extinction" of available .com names.

Oh, and there are not 50K but like 5M names available but suitable for the rubbish bin, like those that don't make sense to humans.

Edit: I still got like 50 names at the end of mass scanning, but that's it.

Thanks. Doesn't matter though, hypothetical or not.

You can still follow the same steps. If you can demonstrate that you can make sustainable 50%+ return on your investment, you should be able to get investors.

•••
Hypothetical question:

Names that WILL sell in large % the next 5 years on 4-5 digit figures, based on growing scarcity, industry analysis, price history analysis and everything together analyzed and ranked by a computer big brain.

Sort of like an AI system of largest domain platforms would generate, if you want.

Apply for a loan from the bank!

•••
Apply for a loan from the bank!

To be honest, this seems to be the best option, if you're really sure about the model (tested; correct projections made).

•••
Banks are most rigid. They'd never lend under such model unless you had a collateral in excess of the amount you are asking for.

•••
Banks are most rigid. They'd never lend under such model unless you had a collateral in excess of the amount you are asking for.

Not true. I've had 6-digit loans without collateral. Still have, currently.

But it depends on the country. I'm in Eastern Europe.

There are a ton of requirements, but if you have a great track history, always profitable, good management history, risk spread etc. they will fund you. Sometimes they require no collateral at all, it's just deals for long existing clients. Other times they get collateral from the government and/or various programs such as EU funding programs and other organisations' funds that put the collateral on your debt for a fee, based on your track history again. The extra fee is generally acceptable and within normal bank %.

Side note, we often get bombarded by banks to loan us money on the phone (not hoaxes but legit, significant banks), and we politely say no if there's not real need for that.

Edit: And the most important thing is not to let the bank choose you. You choose the bank. And choose wisely. If you can't do that, you're likely meat for the grinder.

Edit2: At some point we were in sort of less favorable situation and we took one with a cash collateral. Sounds strange but what it is in the end is simply a greater fee % that covers the risk for them. You pay the fees on both money used and the collateral deposited. It's more expensive but for us it saved the day.

Last edited:
•••
Not true. I've had 6-digit loans without collateral. Still have, currently.

But it depends on the country. I'm in Eastern Europe.

There are a ton of requirements, but if you have a great track history, always profitable, good management history, risk spread etc. they will fund you. Sometimes they require no collateral at all, it's just deals for long existing clients. Other times they get collateral from the government and/or various programs such as EU funding programs and other organisations' funds that put the collateral on your debt for a fee, based on your track history again. The extra fee is generally acceptable and within normal bank %.

Side note, we often get bombarded by banks to loan us money on the phone (not hoaxes but legit, significant banks), and we politely say no if there's not real need for that.

Edit: And the most important thing is not to let the bank choose you. You choose the bank. And choose wisely. If you can't do that, you're likely meat for the grinder.

Edit2: At some point we were in sort of less favorable situation and we took one with a cash collateral. Sounds strange but what it is in the end is simply a greater fee % that covers the risk for them. You pay the fees on both money used and the collateral deposited. It's more expensive but for us it saved the day.

Yeah, Eastern Europe - maybe, USA - definitely not, unless you have a cash flow and history.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, Eastern Europe - maybe, USA - definitely not, unless you have a cash flaw and history.

That's what I said, solid history, cash flow etc.

One more thing to add, I just remembered, this is important. There is a major problem though - banks will never fund speculative investments like domains. Houses, land, yes - but something so immaterial like domains, almost never.

So generally you can get such a loan (as I said, having that for years) but specifically for domains it's probably not going to work.

This being said, unless you can take the loan for something else and funnel some of your profits from that in the domains (they can't argue with that unless you go overboard) then your advice with investors would be much better. Angels, I guess - that's definitely not VC stuff.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, Eastern Europe - maybe, USA - definitely not, unless you have a cash flow and history.

Side note you can get one generally get an unsecured loan across Europe, as long as you have a solid track history and great rating. I have an UK company as well and could always get a loan, only that I never needed one.

Edit: In Canada, from what I've heard, they do not loan to small businesses

•••
Hypothetical question:

U du wat any "aspiring entrepreneur" would do. u go to GOFUNDMEH w/ a startup ideaz needing inveztorz for EXCITING INTERNETZ ADVENTUREZ.

u RLY think banks are created by 1 persoN?? groups of ppl come 2gether with $xx,xxx each and end up with a board of directors + investors that create millions of $$$ pool for the banks' creation.

Last edited:
•••
I think 'Step by Step' works.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back