NameSilo

What's the deal with 3 characters?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
hello,

ive seen a lot of 3 character names selling here, to make one up, say NJR.org

i am curious what is so attractive about these?

what do ppl do with them?

personally, i dont like .org to begin with but also, i dont see a use for the 3 characters with no apparent meanings :) whether it is .com/.net/.org

help! thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think they are popular because they are short, and easy to remember, you'd remember NJR.org more easily that NationalJellyRuiners.org wouldn't you?

:)

•••
ahhh, probably because my thinking is buying to develop, not buying to resell :)

thanks!

•••
Ahh, No problem :). But some letter/letter/letter combinations man something to the person, initials or what have you, I would die for DRC.COM at a GOOD price, preferrably $20, lol.

•••
what gets me is that stupid ebay stuff! and afternic, i cant believe how many ppl are attempting to sell stupid domains for like 900,000.00 USD!

im serious!

•••
3 letter domains (especially .coms) are more valuable because they are so rare. I think they are all registered if I'm not mistaken.
And some domains are worth 900k :)

•••
Originally posted by furnishu
what gets me is that stupid ebay stuff! and afternic, i cant believe how many ppl are attempting to sell stupid domains for like 900,000.00 USD!

im serious!

WOW........damn that sucks lol i dont have enough money rite now to buy my self a new game.

•••
Originally posted by wicked_gal00
3 letter domains (especially .coms) are more valuable because they are so rare. I think they are all registered if I'm not mistaken.
And some domains are worth 900k :)

That's correct Wicked Gal. Every single 3-letter .com, .net and .org domain has been registered!

If someone wants a 3-letter domain of their own, I am currently running a great sale in this thread:

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=30679#post30679

$15 for one, or as low as $12 each in quantity. Better hurry though, I am negotiating with someone to sell them all in one lot!

•••
;) Thanks for the info Duke, best of luck with your sale.

•••
I like the .ORG. But the 3 charactered names would actually have to make sense and not have a number for me to like them. like l1l.org rofl

•••
Three letter .com/.net/.org domains have value because they are often used as acroynms by companies, and as Duke mentioned, they area all currently registered.

Don't confuse three letter domains with three character domains though. Three character domains that contain numbers are still commonly available and are difficult to resell or develop.

•••
So, like, every 3 number and letter combination ever is registered already? :/

•••
Many of these 3 letter names are the STOCK TICKER abbreviations on the NYSE for various companies..

•••
Originally posted by sierratoo
So, like, every 3 number and letter combination ever is registered already? :/

Only all the 3 letter domains are all registered. Like RJ said, there are many 3 character (letter+number combinations) that are available, and therefore have way less value.

•••
im sorry, i should have said 3 character!

thats what i meant!

thanks

•••

im serious!

It's not limited to either venue ... and thanks, in part, to Namepros, there is less of this pre-2000 hype and "over exuberance" with respect to domain names in general, in my observations. Though I believe the potential for domain name selling to be very strong, for sure expectations have moderated since the internet/.COM bubble burst of early 2000.
You will always see some degree of irrational expectations, no matter where and no matter the circumstances. Here, though, we hope to provide a more "realistic" view of domains names ... both amongst the reseller "community", as well as at the potential End user/Retail level. In my own personal experience, nothing kills a potential sale more than asking for an over inflated and unrealistic Asking price. Greed is good (from the movie, "Wall Street"), but how much may be more appropriate ... for purposes in this context. These are my opinions only.
Results will vary and have a great domain day. :)

•••
yes i must admit, im still in shock over how cheap the names are here!

a good place to buy!

theoretically, a name costs $6.95 and up... but can we at least agree that some names really do have a value which exceeds the registration price??

;)

•••
yes i must admit, im still in shock over how cheap the names are here!

a good place to buy!

theoretically, a name costs $6.95 and up... but can we at least agree that some names really do have a value which exceeds the registration price??

;)

"Cheap" would be a mischaracterization of wholesale, IMHO.
If you see an opportunity here on the Namepros site ... your business is greatly appreciated. :)
Agree! Many, many domains do, in fact, have significantly more, and varying, :$: values over Reg. fee, as well. I would recommend registering those ones. ;)
Thanks for your comments.

•••
ive bought 4 domains here so far this week!

•••
ive bought 4 domains here so far this week!

Dammit, I wish that new "smilie" was ready at this time!

GREAT NP'r!! :laugh:

•••
Originally posted by Nintwa
I think they are popular because they are short, and easy to remember, you'd remember NJR.org more easily that NationalJellyRuiners.org wouldn't you?

:)

I was wondering that too, :hehe:
Thanks for answering that, :lol:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back