IT.COM

Which is better: 2-char .net or 3-letter .com

Spaceship
Watch

armstrong

Man from ManilaVIP Member
Impact
Which one should fetch more value, a 2-char .net (no special meaning, like r9.net), and a 3-letter .com? If the .com ended in an "i", would that make a difference?

I have an idea, but just need some confirmation.

Regards,

Apollo

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In my opinion, in about 5 years from now, the 2-char .net will be more valuable (as it's just 2 chars, and not 3). I also predict that most 4 letter .com's will be taken in the coming years.

•••
2 charcter .net is more valuable then a 3 letter dot com in my opion

•••
i'd say 3letter .com is more valuable than 2char .net

•••
Presently the dotcom...but for how long?

ST

•••
Originally posted by N9ne
In my opinion, in about 5 years from now, the 2-char .net will be more valuable (as it's just 2 chars, and not 3). I also predict that most 4 letter .com's will be taken in the coming years.

I don't think so. There are a lot of combinations, I think it would take much longer for their value to really go up.

•••
Originally posted by armstrong
Which one should fetch more value, a 2-char .net (no special meaning, like r9.net), and a 3-letter .com? If the .com ended in an "i", would that make a difference?

I have an idea, but just need some confirmation.

Regards,

Apollo

:|

A LOT depends on the specific domains, combinations, obviously. Very generally, at the "wholesale" level, two LETTER .NET's are in the $1,000 - $1500+ range, less for the two CHARACTER .NET's, as I see it. Three LETTER .COM's can range from $350 - $750+, much much less for three CHARACTER .COM's, IMHO.
Two LETTER .ORG's can range $1,250 - $1,750+, while two CHARACTER .ORG's are less, say $250 - $400+. (The .ORG's got a little bounce :$: due to the new restrictions put on by www.pir.org upon expiration).
Two DIGIT .ORG's are in the $350 - $750+ range, I believe at the present time, while I'm thinking about it.
It's a close call as to your exact question, but with an "i" component (is good) in the ".COM", I'd probably choose that one over the two CHARACTER ".NET", depending on the exact combination.
Lots of information, but a judgement call in the end. ;)
Have a great domain night.

•••
I would personally choose the three letter .com for development, but the 2 char for resale. IMHO
DJ

•••
2 character.net combinations...

36 possibilities (alphabet + 10 numbers) x 36 possibilities
= 1,296 possible 2 character .nets

3 letter.com combinations...

26 x 26 x 26
= 17,576 possible 3 letter .coms

4 letter.com combinations...

26 x 26 x 26 x 26
= 456,976 possible 4 letter .coms

This right here should answer most questions about which one has more rarity value

•••
I prefer 2 char .net
there are lesser 2 char then 3 letter.

•••
I would choose a 3 letter .COM over a 2 character .NET, I think a 3 letter .COM is more vaulable.

•••
It depends on the characters.

cfo.com or c0.net? Obvious choice.

a1.net or qzx.com? Obvious choice.

pcs.com or i1.net Not as obvious, depends on users plans to develop.

•••
•••
Thats' why I presentd two choices:

- a 2-char .net (c0.net would be defined this way)
- a 3-letter .com, possibly ending in an "i"

I figured the 3-letter dotcom was the obvious choice, since it would be easier to attach meaning to it. Frankly I was suprised that more than a few would value the 2-char net more. It is my belief that you can't put too much value on rarity of a domain type - that's why I posted this question. It is far better to look at it from the end-user's perspective of how the domain can be used, rather than the statistical rarity of the domain type.

Also, if you look at "3-letter dotcoms ending in 'i' " as a domain type, then wouldn't this be rarer than 2-char .nets?

- 3-letter .com ending in i: 26x26 = 676
- 2-char .net 36x36 = 1,296

Regards,

Apollo

•••
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
:|

A LOT depends on the specific domains, combinations, obviously. Very generally, at the "wholesale" level, two LETTER .NET's are in the $1,000 - $1500+ range, less for the two CHARACTER .NET's, as I see it. Three LETTER .COM's can range from $350 - $750+, much much less for three CHARACTER .COM's, IMHO.
Two LETTER .ORG's can range $1,250 - $1,750+, while two CHARACTER .ORG's are less, say $250 - $400+. (The .ORG's got a little bounce :$: due to the new restrictions put on by www.pir.org upon expiration).
Two DIGIT .ORG's are in the $350 - $750+ range, I believe at the present time, while I'm thinking about it.
It's a close call as to your exact question, but with an "i" component (is good) in the ".COM", I'd probably choose that one over the two CHARACTER ".NET", depending on the exact combination.
Lots of information, but a judgement call in the end. ;)
Have a great domain night.

As CH.com shows in this detailed report. The 2char.net has a higher value.

•••
Rarity value has its limitations in a 2-character.net, whereas a 3-letter.com is not limited by rarity.
Obviously characters will be the deciding factor but a 3-letter.com has the potential of being considerably more valuable than a 2-character .net

•••
Depends on the letters, but in most cases I would take the 3 letter.com. too many 2 character .nets start with a number (obviously) which makes for an ugly domain in my opinion.

Forgot to mention, there would be a few exceptions where numbers might be better in front ( 4u.net is an example)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back