IT.COM

question 3-letter .co vs .net, similarly priced, for end-user startup

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Final Conflict

Impact
There is a 3-letter domain that I'm interested in buying (strictly as an end-user and not for any kind of resale situation) that is available in both .co and .net at around the same price each, give or take a few hundred dollars. My question is, when faced with such a choice and similar price range, for a startup, is it better to go with the .co or .net?

Thank you very much.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I personally would never use .co for my company website because it's too much like .com and it's not .com.
Some people would use anything over .net.
So it's upto you which one you want to use. I don't think you'll have any problem with any one of them. Older people who grew up visiting com/org/net websites will remember .net one more than the .co website. For the newer generations, I don't think it will make any difference.

•••
Upvote 1
There is a 3-letter domain that I'm interested in buying (strictly as an end-user and not for any kind of resale situation) that is available in both .co and .net at around the same price each, give or take a few hundred dollars. My question is, when faced with such a choice and similar price range, for a startup, is it better to go with the .co or .net?

Thank you very much.
Domain is more about luck than actually getting to sell the domain! Like I keep saying Value of a domain = what someone is willing to pay for it! I hold a number of 3 letter .co and have actually dropped many as not even a single inquiry! I tried to sell even for $99, yet no takers! Even .net I do hold some 4 letter domains with hardly any inquiries. Right now most domainers you see seem to suggest hardly any inquiries, leave alone sales. Only a few of them seem to be suggesting that domains are selling for 4-5 figures everyday, but for the majority, we are waiting for a sale even at xx or xxx amount!

•••
Upvote 0
I personally would never use .co for my company website because it's too much like .com and it's not .com.

Agree with you here.

Though as per 3L .net, my experience shows a lot of love from end users, educational and successful startups.

But also agree with your statement about "old school" users preference for .net and/or c/n/o...

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
imo hands down go with .net

3L especially

•••
Upvote 0
.NET by a wide margin. It is widely used and known by pretty much everyone.

.CO is too similar to .COM. That is a negative IMO.

Brad

•••
Upvote 0

Thank you very much.

Here is AI's take on the two TLDs:

The .net and .co top-level domains (TLDs) serve different purposes and are managed by different organizations.

The .net TLD stands for "network" and was originally intended for network infrastructure and internet service providers. However, it has evolved over time and is now commonly used by various types of websites, including businesses, organizations, and personal websites. It is one of the original TLDs established in the early days of the internet.

On the other hand, the .co TLD stands for "company" or "corporation" and is often used by businesses and startups. It was originally designated as the country code TLD (ccTLD) for Colombia but has gained popularity worldwide as an alternative to the more common .com TLD. The .co TLD is managed by an independent organization that markets it as a global domain option.

In summary, while both .net and .co TLDs can be used for websites, the .net TLD has a broader range of applications and is not limited to businesses, while the .co TLD specifically targets companies and corporations.

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
.net is good enough for Zuckerberg (Threads) lol.

•••
Upvote 0
I really appreciate all the responses. This has been very enlightening and helpful. Thank you!

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back