Dynadot

discuss Who are buying 7N.com's? - Here's what I found out

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Yesterday i ran a random sample of 7N.com chips (defined as those without 0 and 4). The sample included 24,000 chips. Several interesting findins resulted from this excercise.

First, my conclusion is that there are around 47% 7N chips registered (a little below one million domains).

But maybe the most interesting finding (at least for me) was that ALMOST all of these domains have been registered by Chinese investors. I'm taking the registrar as a good indicator of the country of origin and this was verified by a random check of the names and emails of the corresponding owners, which are all clearly Chinese.

Well, the fact is that around 92% of all registered domains are with a Chinese registrar: 51% with Ename, 19% with HiChina, 17.8% with Hangzhou, and 3.6% with other Chinese registrars.

Most western registrars hardly appear in the statistics. Godaddy is just at 4% of the total.

So, I've confirmed what I already suspected. The 7N chips registration remains fundamentally a Chinese phenomenon.

There's no point in trying to hype or push a buyout in our western forums, as we have almost ZERO influence in the outcome (unless a mysterious powerful investor buys all the remaining names :rolleyes:). There will be a buyout at some point in the future or there won't be any, depending on what the Chinese decide to do about it. Interesting, don't you think?

I have some more findings relating the concentration of buyers, and the time distribution of the registrations, but I'll leave that for another post.

What do you think? Does this surprise you a bit? Or maybe it was entirely as expected?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's basically what I've found too.

Although in terms of times of registration, it should be noted that almost none have happen since November 21st or so. They were all basically BEFORE Thanksgiving in the US. In random spot checks of 7N chips, it seems the best have been taken and then it has just stopped right there... so I don't exactly suspect a buy out is coming any time soon.

•••
Can you do same research for 6N and share your data here.

•••
It does not surprise me so much, Chinese invest in all the domain names that have potential value and they indeed love numerical domains. Some of them have missed the 6N chips trend, so they would take chance to register 7N Chips this time.

•••
Have the 7N registrations stopped?

Until August 2015 there was only a relatively small amount of 7N chips registered. At that point the pace accelerated considerable. These are the months when the chips were registered:

From Jan to Aug 2015 - 1.6%
Sep 2015 - 10.2%
Oct 2015 - 17.6%
Nov 2015 - 68.5%
Dec 2015 - 0.3%

From this figures, it's possible to see that the bulk of registrations occurred in just three months (from September to November). Almost 70% of all the registrations were on November.

At that point, the registrations seem to have stopped almost completely, with a small percentage in the first week of December, though still at a higher pace than the first eight months of the year.

Why have they stopped? I imagine the Chinese domainers as a swarm of bees that are looking for the best field of flowers. Ending November the field of flowers of 7N was almost dry. All the best domains were already taken and the rest were not very attractive at that moment. So they went to other, more attractive fields (4L.biz, 5L.com, etc.)

Eventually, when the floor price of 7N chips increase, even random ones will become attractive and the swarm will come back to that field. I think that is almost sure to happen at some point, as soon there will not be any more fields available to compete with this.

•••
Can you do same research for 6N and share your data here.
I'm going to check a smaller sample of 6N just to verify the proportion of Chinese buyers, though I don't expect to see anything different from 7N.

•••
Very interesting and useful research. Thank you.
Why have they stopped? I imagine the Chinese domainers as a swarm of bees that are looking for the best field of flowers. Ending November the field of flowers of 7N was almost dry. All the best domains were already taken and the rest were not very attractive at that moment. So they went to other, more attractive fields (4L.biz, 5L.com, etc.)
I continue to ponder the Nov 20 phenomenon. I like your analogy of bees swarming to the next field of flowers. But the drop off in Chinese buying seemed too abrupt for this to account for, and it was not just in 7N but across the board. I don't know about 4L.biz (was that driven more by China or the West?) but 5L.com dropped off at the same time, as did aftermarket sales in 4L.com and net, if I'm not mistaken.

The underground bank seizure seems to be the dominant theory but I have yet to see a clear connection made between that and the drop off. Puzzling.

Last edited:
•••
In this business win who has more money to be patient and wait for the right moment and buyer.

•••
Very interesting and useful research. Thank you.

I continue to ponder the Nov 20 phenomenon. I like your analogy of bees swarming to the next field of flowers. But the drop off in Chinese buying seemed too abrupt for this to account for, and it was not just in 7N but across the board. I don't know about 4L.biz (was that driven more by China or the West?) but 5L.com dropped off at the same time, as did aftermarket sales in 4L.com and net, if I'm not mistaken.

The underground bank seizure seems to be the dominant theory but I have yet to see a connection made between that and the drop off. Puzzling.

My theory too. I don't see any other reason for such a sudden slowdown on one exact date.

•••
Guys, it is very simple, for what do you need search theorias?
Some one began to reg 6n, all another ones decided to continue because they was afraid to loose the rest of still good 6n.
Each ones began to reg for the same reason loooking at the first group.
When 6n finished, all began to reg best 7n, because began to understand that if they will not do it, another ones will reg them.
All stopped when almost all 7n were gone, I dont know if still there are 7n without 0 and 4, but all best and good 7n are gone.
After that all who was late for 6n and 7n party went for 8n and 9n.
And now all wasted all money and began to sell the worst numerics of thier portfolios.
The crazyness are gone because all 7n are gone, thats all.
It is very simple, but I am glad to reg my 7n, 8n and 9n.

•••
It is impossible that all stopped ON THE SAME DATE ;) Or there should be some theory which is definitely not "all good ones exhausted".

•••
It is impossible that all stopped ON THE SAME DATE ;) Or there should be some theory which is definitely not "all good ones exhausted".
It's really strange that buying stopped around the same dat, thogh in most cases all premiums names had been bought at that point, like in 7N, 5L, 4L.biz, etc

One possibility to explain this is if the bulk of the buying at that point was being done by only a few big investors. This could be in fact a good explanation, as we know at least in the case of 4L.biz that most of the buying was from only one investor (check the thread at this forum). However, we cannot discard the possibility that something else happened around those days.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back