IT.COM

domains Why is dot US Being Used to Phish So Many of Us?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Domain names ending in “.US” — the top-level domain for the United States — are among the most prevalent in phishing scams, new research shows. This is noteworthy because .US is overseen by the U.S. government, which is frequently the target of phishing domains ending in .US. Also, .US domains are only supposed to be available to U.S. citizens and to those who can demonstrate that they have a physical presence in the United States.

.US is the “country code top-level domain” or ccTLD of the United States. Most countries have their own ccTLDs: .MX for Mexico, for example, or .CA for Canada. But few other major countries in the world have anywhere near as many phishing domains each year as .US.

That’s according to The Interisle Consulting Group, which gathers phishing data from multiple industry sources and publishes an annual report on the latest trends. Interisle’s newest study examined six million phishing reports between May 1, 2022 and April 30, 2023, and found 30,000 .US phishing domains

read more (krabs)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've complained about similar issues to the usTLD Stakeholder Council. They have no verification for registering a domain and if you file a complaint, the rules are so lax that they rarely take action.

I tried to buy a .us domain. The owner is a known cyber squatter with multiple UDRP losses. The owner isn't a US citizen or resident. The domain forwards to a parking company that's apparently distributing malware, according to my security software. We agreed on a price, then he more than 10x'ed the price. I filed a complaint stating he was a cyber squatter, listed the UDRP cases, apparently had no legitimate connection to the USA, and the domain was distributing malware. They didn't do anything.

Someone from the Stakeholder Council did say they would discuss my complaint at the next meeting. So hopefully they'll revise and enforce their policies.

Last edited:
•••
SC will do nothing … but the drp money-making machine can do something about: usDRP pdf’

Usdot.png

Complainant form via AdrForum / more info

Regards

•••
I've complained about similar issues to the usTLD Stakeholder Council. They have no verification for registering a domain and if you file a complaint, the rules are so lax that they rarely take action.

I tried to buy a .us domain. The owner is a known cyber squatter with multiple UDRP losses. The owner isn't a US citizen or resident. The domain forwards to a parking company that's apparently distributing malware, according to my security software. We agreed on a price, then he more than 10x'ed the price. I filed a complaint stating he was a cyber squatter, listed the UDRP cases, apparently had no legitimate connection to the USA, and the domain was distributing malware. They didn't do anything.

Someone from the Stakeholder Council did say they would discuss my complaint at the next meeting. So hopefully they'll revise and enforce their policies.

Is not mandatory to be citizen or resident to own .US
Must have a connection with a entity ( person or company ) , make a business with that person or can be a relative
Of course if you can't provide this when get a complain...

•••
Is not mandatory to be citizen or resident to own .US
Must have a connection with a entity ( person or company ) , make a business with that person or can be a relative
Of course if you can't provide this when get a complain...

I realize that. My point to them was their requirements are so lax, basically anyone can register and keep a .us domain, even if challenged. It's one thing for a company to have a legitimate business connection to the USA. IMHO, it's something totally different if their 'business' is registering .us domains to resell them and their connection to the USA was making a fake sales invoice showing they sold their cousin a domain.

•••
I realize that. My point to them was their requirements are so lax, basically anyone can register and keep a .us domain, even if challenged. It's one thing for a company to have a legitimate business connection to the USA. IMHO, it's something totally different if their 'business' is registering .us domains to resell them and their connection to the USA was making a fake sales invoice showing they sold their cousin a domain.

The only problem is that can't provide a fake sale
They verify if is legit or not , sales or connection

Hmmm i think i know what domain want to buy from that person 😁 but also maybe i am wrong 🤷

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back