IT.COM

question Would selling a domain name still in 60 day lock be a deal breaker for end users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

peace800

Established Member
Impact
If you start doing outbound on a domain still within the 60 day transfer period and you then tell the end user that they would have to create an account at your registrar in order to have it pushed before then, would this put them off?

Is it better to promote the domain after 60 days?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you have your own website, I think if you have a desirable name it might be effective to list it there right off with a note like "Available Oct 5 - open to offers now" this might give potential purchasers a sense of urgency like a home about to come on the market in real estate. And if someone really wants it urgently, at the point they make contact you could point out the push option. Realistically, very few domain names will sell in the first 60 days anyway (says he who just sold one within the 60 day period of registration, but it was done through a registrar marketplace sale; I think that was the first time I have had a sale holding a name less than 60 days.)

•••
I had tried my luck from day one if the name has only one or two potential buyer. For the domain which has more potential buyers and can sell itself then no outbound at all.

•••
The 60-day lock is not mandatory. The lock is standard for most registrars, but the registrar has the option to unlock the domain. So it comes down to the registrar's lock policy. Some may even do one-offs.

So they lie to our faces about it being mandatory? Or are you thinking of the 60 days since contact info change lock?

•••
So they lie to our faces about it being mandatory? Or are you thinking of the 60 days since contact info change lock?
I didn't know that was a separate thing. When you acquire a domain from someone else, doesn't the contact info change?

•••
If you start doing outbound on a domain still within the 60 day transfer period and you then tell the end user that they would have to create an account at your registrar in order to have it pushed before then, would this put them off?
No problem. Most of my buyers are perfectly happy to keep the domain with the current registrar. The domain age has never figured in negotiations. Although, my setting up their new account and delivering the goods on a silver platter, so to speak, may have had something to do with this :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Guys, what's the easiest/most successful way to sell domains via outbound, what has worked for you?

•••
•••
The few outbound sales I've made were actually all, or almost all of them, within the 60 days period... and it didn't even occur to me to mention it to the buyers in advance.. I only told them I needed them to have/create accounts at those registrars after we had agreed on a price, and even then I didn't mention the transfer lock, nor did they ask any questions. My sample size is pretty small though...
How do you do payment/escrow within the 60 day lockup period?

•••
How do you do payment/escrow within the 60 day lockup period?
Even if you can't unlock for transfer, you can push within the same registrar and I've sold like this at least on Dan (idk if still possible) and Escrow.com

•••
Even if you can't unlock for transfer, you can push within the same registrar and I've sold like this at least on Dan (idk if still possible) and Escrow.com
So if I register on Porkbun and list on Dan, and the click "Buy Now," do they send their funds to Dan's escrow or do I set up the transaction at Escrow.com and instruct them to set up an account at Porkbun for me to push the domain once Escrow.com receives their funds (leaving Dan out of the picture)?

Sorry, have accumulated domains for year but never actually sold any.

•••
So if I register on Porkbun and list on Dan, and the click "Buy Now," do they send their funds to Dan's escrow or do I set up the transaction at Escrow.com and instruct them to set up an account at Porkbun for me to push the domain once Escrow.com receives their funds (leaving Dan out of the picture)?

Sorry, have accumulated domains for year but never actually sold any.

If the buyer initiates on Dan, everything must be done through Dan.
You may want to ask Dan support about 60 day lock.

•••
If the buyer initiates on Dan, everything must be done through Dan.
You may want to ask Dan support about 60 day lock.
Thank you. I've been listing on Dan, Afternic, and Sedo. Haven't had any bites yet. I guess selling within 60 days was wishful thinking. Hopefully I get some sales soon!

•••
I have told lots of buyers to open an account and pushed the domain to them. It's usually no big deal. They can always transfer anywhere they want after 60 days and have control of the domain immediately anyway.
and how you get payment

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back