NameSilo

advice Would you buy a .com of a former business?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have found a domain avail for hand reg in a very competitive space with an anchor keyword. There are very few hand regs avail with this anchor keyword. Doing a google search, I identified the name was previously used by a firm that has since went out of business (>7 years ago). Would you buy such a name? Do you believe an end-user would re-cycle and re-use a name that was previously used by another firm (that ultimately went out of business)? Or should I just avoid it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That would have to be determined on a case-by-case basis. There is no simple "yes or no" answer otherwise.

my opinion

•••
This reminds me of taking “expired trademarks” in the U.S. Patent office.

Seems gray area, probably frowned upon, and it may come to bite you back; but, it seems like the best way get “backlinks” for next to nothing.

DM trusted NPers domain; DO NOT POST it here; It will be gone faster than flash; if post it publicly.

Last edited:
•••
DM trusted NPers domain; DO NOT POST it here; It will be gone faster than flash; if post it publicly.

Tru dat

•••
I have found a domain avail for hand reg in a very competitive space with an anchor keyword. There are very few hand regs avail with this anchor keyword. Doing a google search, I identified the name was previously used by a firm that has since went out of business (>7 years ago). Would you buy such a name? Do you believe an end-user would re-cycle and re-use a name that was previously used by another firm (that ultimately went out of business)? Or should I just avoid it?

When you think about it this is what many domains are.

•••
The only time I won't touch such a name is if was contaminated with fraudulent activities and/or bad scandals

•••
If the former business is finance related I would be little more cautious, else there shouldn't be any problem as such as long you have done you own due diligence and confident about this domain.

•••
Insert the domain, including the .com, in quotes in any search engine and take it from there. Google will be the first to shout out at you if the domain has been identified as having a dubious history. You really should follow this simple procedure for all your domains.

As mentioned, almost every decent .com domain registered today is going to be someone else's drop, except the most obscure. So almost impossible to avoid some historic linkage or cross-reference. Some can make for interesting reading and a new perspective.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks all - good thoughts.

On another, yet similar note, let's say there was an avail .com that was in use for another TLD abroad (but not in the US). Identical industry. Would this dissuade you from taking the name? I would think an end user wouldn't want to name their biz the same thing as a foreign company in the same space (the space is global in nature).

•••
Would this dissuade you from taking the name?
No, by investing in this name, you indicate that it has value and is worth something, the target audience will be interested, imo

•••
•••
•••
What/who is forge?

Forget Will Smith GIF

Forge @forge

Last edited:
•••
Huh? What?

Dang, I've been too busy buying stuff off eBay.

But yeah, what he said! quick agree

•••
For my company I am using a domain I took over after the previous owner (a transport company) changed the name and then went bankrupt. The worst thing about it was that their secretary used her company e-mail to subscribe to various newsletters (unrelated to the business). Took a lot of unsubscribing and marking as spam to clear it out. On the other hand, 20 years later I still get transport-related queries, so it would be handy if I was in the same industry.

•••
For my company I am using a domain I took over after the previous owner (a transport company) changed the name and then went bankrupt. The worst thing about it was that their secretary used her company e-mail to subscribe to various newsletters (unrelated to the business). Took a lot of unsubscribing and marking as spam to clear it out. On the other hand, 20 years later I still get transport-related queries, so it would be handy if I was in the same industry.

That's an interesting angle I never thought of. Same industry may make leads somewhat easier...

•••
If it is available as a hand reg, then there is essentially no risk. Give it a shot.

•••
Do not look for problems where they are not. Half of domains, that were highly appreciated, were once used. If the previous owner went bankrupt, then he simply did not know how to do a good business. This does not apply to the name. If there are no blocks and other alert things for this domain, register it boldly

Last edited:
•••
My opinion: unless it is patently improper bc of readily identifiable or ascertainable issues (like IP or results a quick google search would reveal), its fair game. Its not an issue till they prove that it is. And even if they prove it, its debatable..

Last edited:
•••
And even if they prove it, its debatable..

And by that time, you are likely up Schlitz creek. Not really debatable imo.

•••
How can we even know if its not penalized by search engines? DEBATABLE!

•••
I have always said that every name is judged on it's own merits. Few generalizations ever really apply.
Folks try to use them to boost or buck a stated value or price of an individual name.
That only works if you allow it.

I have in fact bought names of those who went out of biz when they drop. Sometimes waiting 7 years for that to happen.
But only when the TM had been marked as abandon.
You could as well buy the name beforehand while waiting and do not park it or subject yourself to any additional liability.

Know that sometimes those trademarks have 'leans' against them, so there is other interest/liabilities you may have to deal with not showing themselves on the surface. Being a more complex subject, I will not dive into that, but know it is not always as simple as it seems. More info can be found in the state in which the trademark is held. Some states hold many TM's because many do not TAX the mark, so they are moved.

It may be news to some that TM can have liens against them. Part of a guarantee for banks who take uncomfortable risk.
Who would give up an established name ? Banks get comfort in that.
Since they have value, they are taxed on that value.
DJ Trump has leans on his TM. So there is a easy one for you to look up to help understand the process.
That will take you some time, but a good lesson if you are going to indulge yourself.

But of course, a lien on a TM, puts the name at risk if it is still valid even in bankruptcy process.

So, if the name had 'marketing value' at one time, you only need to ask if that is still true. Then judge it from there for value.
Just watch the hidden liabilities that may exist.

•••
The only time I won't touch such a name is if was contaminated with fraudulent activities and/or bad scandals
This, Almost shot myself in the foot few week ago, i see a good name on auction, net, org + some other tld was regged. but it weird nobody touch it.. from wayback, i see it's really good developed site business in UK? Thanks for trust pilot review, Found out it was fake address (the owner selling counterfit items from china).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back