NameSilo

information Wow, what a conundrum - diphthongs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

is the diphthong, æ, a vowel and a one key stroke or not?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • yes, wikipedia, northern europe and God exist, and it is.

votes
    28.6%
  • no, i dont recognize vowels as letters only program format

votes
    0.0%
  • yipes, how am i in the middle of this?

votes
    71.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

The Durfer

Wesley SweatmanTop Member
Impact
Didn't think I would ever be here, but diphthong as a 1 letter 1 key stroke instead of part of an IDN name- Wikipedia mentions that "technically, a diphthong is a vowel with two different targets: that is, the tongue (and/or other parts of the speech apparatus) moves during the pronunciation of the vowel." With that said, that makes a diphthong a vowel and what do we know about the vowels, they are a, e, I, o, u, and sometimes y. What do the vowels and the diphthong have in common? They would be one key for one letter just like the consonants. Namepros is under American ruling, which in my opinion is the greatest judicial system in the world, and the foresaid mentioned dispute is considered, to the American ruling, that diphthongs are part of the IDN system when in fact, all of Northern Europe uses the diphthong as another key in their icann approved domains. Now with that said, are there different rules for the same word in another country? Are we that microscopic that we are determining laws within the space of two letters? Where is the humanity of the rest of the world existing. Somewhere between globe and personal computer, we are defining everything by 1963 America when the first computer was made in a research lab in America. The rest of the world was invited to be apart of the internet, thus there should be a world ruling on internet and website law, not American law for a subject that is Northern Europes and latin to begin with.

Maybe im rambling, but I feel there needs to be either more of a distinction between the different Cyrillic accents and IDNs, or we need to recognize that one opinion of engineering a keyboard is not another engineerings downfall, but that two or more engineers exist and create separate and together inventions that help the whole world to better communicate, not to be more anti-social with the world.

Also, on a side note, do you realize the opportunity here if they recognize the diphthong as another key stroke instead of an IDN format, that we would have 1000s more L, LL, LLL, and LLLL.coms open up for sale and possession and a whole other wave of marketing and financial successes. Just wanted you to realize the impact this has on your decision whether a diphthong is not a vowel and a key stroke but as only American ruling says, that it is part of the IDN system and considered that in on going rulings of disputes.

Thank you and sorry for interrupting your prematurely settled thoughts on this matter but somethings still need to be raised up in the future and not permanently settled upon until it makes since for the whole internet world.

Please participate in this poll, as it could change the way the system views smaller, American rulings on your inept way of functioning from your part of the world. ty.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the point im trying to get across is IDN and standard .com should still exist, but they cut the line wrong if I may say it that way. the diphthong, æ, is not the like the other IDN characters, it is literally a vowel used in English still also.

•••
•••
•••
Maybe im rambling...
Yes, just maybe. :-P

I don't think many people think about this sort of stuff, but I could be wrong...

ps - I'm going to give this thread a "like" for all your effort. :xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Thank you for a well researched and expressed posting @wesley sweatman. I may change my vote later but for now took the out of the third option. :xf.wink:

I think what you raise is part if a broader question re how to more fairly make domain names truly international.

Bob

•••
Well, if anything, the fact it has "dip" and "thong" in the same word can only help propel this movement forward, perhaps tap into that. Everyone likes thongs, after all..

•••
•••
•••
The æ looks slightly more complex than the ä ö å ø which sit on our Nordic keyboards and are regular letters of the alphabet (ä ö å in Sweden, each one keystroke). It is probably ethnocentric that these are called IDN characters ("international") simply because we / they are outside the catchment of the former British Empire. But the Nordic countries are accustomed to bending like grass under the heavy weight of the more-aggressive.

•••
ty rippa for your refreshing statement.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back