Dynadot

discuss Your reasons for having a personal home page?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr. Deleted

Slabaugh.com 800-266-2728Top Member
Impact
I am wondering if you can give me some reasons for having a personal home page, as opposed to a business website.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well honestly, you are kind of comparing apples and oranges here. A business website is for profit where a personal homepage is not. However, the benefit to having a personal homepage allows you to separate your personal life from business life. With a personal homepage you can add a photo album and put up pictures of things you do in your free time. You can talk about topics related to your personal life rather than business life, and it gives you a podium so that you can display yourself in a way in which you want others to see you. Unfortunately personal homepage popularity has decreased a bit since social networking sites have dramatically taken over. I know some people who have personal homepages and they also add their resume so that if they are ever looking for a job, an employer can check out their personal homepage to see their resume and also get a feel for what that person's personal life is like to see how they might fit into the employer's culture. For instance does the person seem well rounded? Are they outgoing? Do they have more of a positive or negative aspect on life? Do they seem more ambitious or more relaxed? These are traits you cannot always tell about a person who has a business site, but becomes more visible in a personal homepage.

•••
A business website is for branding your business. Businesses come and go, fail, ideas change, etc...

A personal website is for branding yourself and comes with some benefits such as controlling your search engine results, etc....

•••
Thanks guys, I had to ask, I had to find some "opposing views" to a paper I had to write last week for college, for this week's assignment. The topic is, are "personal homepages" outdated. Of course there are some that still have some old pages like twinboys.com, but you dont find too many anymore.

•••
I have a personal homepage even though I work under my business name. Mainly because I've been a sole service provider for years and the personal homepage is branded. More people know me under my name versus my business name.

•••
A place for your CV/resume, blog ...

•••
but you dont find too many anymore

Actually if you are looking for some personal homepages, you can find plenty at www.dmoz.org/Society/People/Personal_Homepages . The homepages are sorted alphabetically into different sub categories. Just click on one of the letters at the top of the page. Some of the pages might be outdated while others are kept up. But they might help you for your assignment in seeing what different people use personal homepages for by example.

•••
Its not compulsory but if you want to make it unique or need to make it as per your choice then it is good.

•••
VD90, I already submitted that one, now I need to do a new one with a cross of both viewpoints this week. next week I have off...

•••
•••
It's a good way for potential customers/random internet users to see the human behind the keyboard. I have one where I blog about random stuff - it's a good way to ramble :P

•••
Ego...or a way to avoid negative SEO (competition can be cut throat), protect reputation.
I once threatened a guy (jokingly) to make a website put his face on a cross-dresser image and blog about how I (he) like to wears his wife clothing..lol

•••
Ego...or a way to avoid negative SEO (competition can be cut throat), protect reputation.
I once threatened a guy (jokingly) to make a website put his face on a cross-dresser image and blog about how I (he) like to wears his wife clothing..lol
You promised you'd never bring that up again :(

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back