Dynadot

Your Successful & Failure Buy-In to Overly Hyped Up New Domain Extensions

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I haven't bought into any new hyped-up domain extensions lately. The last time I got burned was with the .mobi launch.

I bought SUPPORT.mobi at Sedo auction for premium mobi release some years ago and loss money when I sold it a couple years later. There's just isn't a need for them since websites can easily redirect mobile users to a mobile page instead of relying on a whole domain extension.

Then there was the .TEL extension. Probably the most useless domain extension ever IMO.

So how are new GENERIC or even Country extensions? Post your success and failures in buying and selling these.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Definitely got burned on .tel, sold a .me for a nice chunk of change, the jury is still out on .co. Never jumped on .mobi (came too late to the game).

But I have learned from .tel and no longer jump whole hog into new TLDs.

I think that ccTLDs are better risks than new generic ones, but even there one has to be careful when selecting terms.

•••
I told myself over and over, "Don't buy a .xxx domain, it's a completely stupid idea."

Then I bought one.

It was a completely stupid idea.

•••
I told myself over and over, "Don't buy a .xxx domain, it's a completely stupid idea."

Then I bought one.

It was a completely stupid idea.

Yeah I heard people got burned from xxx.
I couldn't believe this extension got approved.

Well if a extension like .name, .tel can be approved, then of course .xxx can. I wonder what generic garbage expansion will come out next.

•••
I bought SUPPORT.mobi at Sedo auction for premium mobi release some years ago and loss money when I sold it a couple years later. There's just isn't a need for them since websites can easily redirect mobile users to a mobile page instead of relying on a whole domain extension.

yea but that was just the idea the registry was trying to sell... too many people listened word for word to the registry marketing hype. its just a TLD. for example, a delivery-only pizza service is obviously "mobile".. so its the service/idea itself that is mobile and fits the TLD - rather than being a special TLD for mobile devices. thats the way i always saw it and the way i went about it buying most landrush names.. also theyve never enforced the "restrictions" that it most be mobile formatted, although it would be silly not to provide a mobile formatted version these days..

Yeah I heard people got burned from xxx.
I couldn't believe this extension got approved.

Well if a extension like .name, .tel can be approved, then of course .xxx can. I wonder what generic garbage expansion will come out next.

there are 1,000 TLD's about to be approved in the next few years. ICANN accepted like 1,900 applications for new TLD's. the process is now opened up and thousands of TLD's are about to exist.

no this is not a joke. welcome back.

Last edited:
•••
over time there will be sales of these new tld's , perhaps the next gen will fully embrace, i dont think it hurts to dip the little toe in, it's only when you fully jump in you will get in trouble ...download.music doesn't sound too bad to me

•••
over time there will be sales of these new tld's , perhaps the next gen will fully embrace, i dont think it hurts to dip the little toe in, it's only when you fully jump in you will get in trouble ...download.music doesn't sound too bad to me

When these new extensions come out, I think the .com, .net, .org will drop in value greatly.

Like in your example download.music , I would feel bad for downloadmusic.com . The .com makes it longer.

We'll have to wait and see...

•••
When these new extensions come out, I think the .com, .net, .org will drop in value greatly.

Like in your example download.music , I would feel bad for downloadmusic.com . The .com makes it longer.
That's what domainers said when .MOBI was launched before.

Until they realize that when people type "download music" on their browser, nearly everyone forgets to type the "dot" in-between the words. And the truth that no matter how you type it (dot or no-dot), Google always returns the ".com" version on top, because the com site carries more quality content based on its algo.

•••
Big fail with .kids.us
Lost fortune there.

•••
Release .shit and domainers will buy it.
Oh wait they already have :D

•••

We'll have to wait and see...

As mentioned it may take a generation to embrace it, what we feel is common and the standard might very well change down the road. The general public are not domainers, if something grabs their attention they may commit to it.

•••
with 1,000's of TLDs being released at once it seems to me SOME of these TLD's will gain major ground..just wayyyy too many factors at work with different companies (some giants) handling them. it is more interesting than most "domainers" are willing to admit. we aint seen THIS before..but the problem for domainers is kinda the same as its always been, probably even more complicated.. how to pick winners? this is assuming the registry actually offers domain registrations to the public..

before (and now) when we're talking about "alternate TLDs" and with there being so few of them.. the important part was getting the left-of-the-dot correct.. but now you will have to do that AND pick TLD's that are actually successful amongst the masses (or semi successful, like .TV - yeah i know its a ccTLD but in practice its not) and it seems like this becomes even harder to do with 100X the amount of alternate TLDs coming out maybe every year!

like many, i cant see .COM ever becoming just one among the 1,000's of TLD choices but it is possible and likely it will lose *some* mindshare. how could it not, if even just by a little bit? the argument that the public will be confused by all these new TLD's is likely true (at first)... but think about what that is actually saying: it is acknowledging people will be aware of SOME of these.. more than they are today which will eventually normalize at least a few of em and maybe even ANYTHING to the right of the dot. remembering how many TLDs there are will become as irrelevant as remembering area codes in phone numbers. some say this will make everyone just default to buying .COM - probably somewhat true IF they can hand register it or buy it for an affordable price. so does this mean that generally end-user .COM prices will decrease drastically OR that people will become more accepting to alternatives every day living in this new flooded TLD world. its a mixed bag and this is not a zero sum game or even close to it like some domainers like to write it off with popular forum one liners and domainer mantras RAH RAH, we'll see...

•••
Gladly i never got burned, since i was always careful and before i even started to reg domains, i was reading forums for a while without doing anything(other than reading).

Regarding new TLDs: some of them will probably be good the first few months for quick flips to those who believe in the hype. I personally will closely observe what will happen, maybe i will jump on the bandwagon, make few bucks, jump off, take the money and run as fast as i can until i am in my safe .com/net/org/info home again.
Or maybe i will just close my eyes and wait until the hype is over.
Don't know yet :)

•••
Release .shit and domainers will buy it.
Oh wait they already have :D

ROLMAO.

:laugh: :O :'( D-: :sick:

And, lotsa %%- to all those who have applied for .crapola or in ebay-ese: .carpola.

:blink:

And LAM (Laughing at Myself) for past ridiculous purchases and future ones as well (hopefully minimal).

:bingo:

And HWTMFWI (Having Way Too Much Fun With Icons).

:D

•••
personally i think all the new tld's will end up as nothing more than a write off for these companies spending all this money on them.

with so many coming at once its like trying to push an elephant through a needle hole. its going to be one huge confusing clusterf*ck the to general public. sure, maybe over time they could get used to it but how much money and how long are these companies will to put into educating the public?

•••
I only got 3 .tel names, and even sold one with profit (of $1 I think :)). Dropped the other two, never believed in .mobi, .me or .xxx (not in those names in my price range).

•••
like many, i cant see .COM ever becoming just one among the 1,000's of TLD choices but it is possible and likely it will lose *some* mindshare. how could it not, if even just by a little bit?
.com has been losing market share for many years,... to ccTLDs. But at the same time it has continued to grow in volume. The ccTLDs are the future, I have little faith in new generic extensions. A few will probably do okay but in niche markets, like .me/.tv/.co today. The established extensions aren't going anywhere.

But there will always be newbies and dreamers willing to take a chance.
History repeats itself.

•••
law of averages says some will do ok ......which ones?

Good time to stand back and watch, can't say it's not going to be interesting at the worst

•••

Definitely got burned on .tel, sold a .me for a nice chunk of change, the jury is still out on .co. Never jumped on .mobi (came too late to the game).

But I have learned from .tel and no longer jump whole hog into new TLDs.

I think that ccTLDs are better risks than new generic ones, but even there one has to be careful when selecting terms.

.ME is one of the few names that took off. Im quite suprirsed actually!

•••
I am fairly new at domain hoarding and flipping. I spend a majority of time reading fairy tales of getting rich off Adsense and other clickerage/ad setups. I have purchased 2 .CM for $100.00 each. And both of them are fairly decent names. Like NYC and Whitehouse... However, the more I think about it, and watch people's habits, I think you need to pay for Google campaigns unless you have a superfine organic .com.

My girlfriend and her sister are in their 20s. They don't actually type in the domain in the browser. Maybe it is because Google pops up by default, but, if they want to see Perez Hilton they just type that in search and click on the first link. Now, if Perez Hilton's actual legit website was PerezHilton.me or .co or .it, would anyone actually type it? I am still a grass hopper in traning... But, I am betting to think anything other than .com,.net.org and maybe a .me is a waste.

(Sign) I've spent a lot making $8.00 mistakes here and there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back