Domain Empire

Advertising Your Amazon Link On Sites?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

briguy

Guru In Remission!Top Member
Impact
Hey there, I been thinking about buying a small "GPT" site and been researching the site.
Anyway, to my question. I have noticed that some of the advertisers have been paying for views not to their site but just to a Amazon product (like Kindle).
Here is my question, are they buying views (other than hoping someone will buy a product) because there is a (not sure of the exact term) "cookie", if the visitor doesn't buy that product, but click on a link on that Amazon page and buy another item, the advertiser (ad on GPT site) get credit?

Hopefully I explained it good enough and thanks for reading this thread.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've never gotten into GPT, but the visit to Amazon is probably on their affiliate link, so yes - they get paid for anything that person buys while there (or within 24 hours, unless overwritten by another affiliate).

•••
If an amazon link, it is probably an affiliate link.
Thus anyone clicking on the link, a cookie should be set.
Unless the person is like me and wipes out cookies daily.

If by GPT you mean one of those get paid to read sites, always has been that people will advertise an affiliate page.
Some make some good money this way, if the GPT site has plenty of visitors and users.

•••
With Amazon's 24 hr cookie and all the other Amazon affiliates online, you're pretty unlikely to get a sale anyway if they don't buy during the visit. (Unless it gets into their cart, in which case you get 90 days on that item.)

Great thing about Amazon is you don't need more than that one visit - they're so good at what they do.

•••
With Amazon's 24 hr cookie and all the other Amazon affiliates online, you're pretty unlikely to get a sale anyway if they don't buy during the visit. (Unless it gets into their cart, in which case you get 90 days on that item.)

Great thing about Amazon is you don't need more than that one visit - they're so good at what they do.

Starting to look at something called extendazon, and wondering if it is legit. I guess the goal is to create a shopping cart on your web site, then forward the whole thing to amazon's cart, trying to get that 90 day click in. I've always just added a few pics, and placed a text link to amazon, nothing fancy.

•••
They push it into the cart - it's legit, but I don't think its an ideal experience from a user standpoint. I think you risk pissing people off with that - some people like to read specs, reviews, etc. before they buy. You only have 90 days on what you put in the cart, not everything else.

If you try it, let me know how it goes!

I do images and text links too - and I always make it clear the link will take them to Amazon. No fancy tricks - it works for me ;).

•••
Same here.
Links and pictures and hey, click and buy and I will make a pittance from Amazon.
Plus I like that any product I find on Amazon, I can tweet it out to my followers.
Amazon makes that part so darn easy!

•••
Starting to look at something called extendazon, and wondering if it is legit. I guess the goal is to create a shopping cart on your web site, then forward the whole thing to amazon's cart, trying to get that 90 day click in. I've always just added a few pics, and placed a text link to amazon, nothing fancy.
extendazon, do you know if it is a "stand alone" plugin?

Same here.
Links and pictures and hey, click and buy and I will make a pittance from Amazon.
Plus I like that any product I find on Amazon, I can tweet it out to my followers.
Amazon makes that part so darn easy!
I do have a few sites that are strictly review, picture and Amazon widgets but for reasons beyond my comprehension, the Big G dropped my traffic to less than 10%, so basically trying to find another option to make a little extra money online!

Thanks for all the feedback and information provided here!

•••
do have a few sites that are strictly review, picture and Amazon widgets but for reasons beyond my comprehension, the Big G dropped my traffic to less than 10%,

That sucks - probably Panda (If you have the date it dropped I can tell you what hit) Unless they went heavy on big brands in your niche - that happened to a bunch of my sites (they had sitelinks and were in competitive position 1-3, outranking the sites for which I was an affiliate, now there's nothing but the same 10-20 big brands first 2 pages)

•••
•••
Hmmm ... possibly ... if they go to get the download and think "while I'm here ..."
Problem with promoting "free" is you get the cheapskates.

What I was talking about in STS was doing giveaways to build social media followers :).

They're more likely to wipe you out for thin content than for too static (unless your reviews had the date on them and were from 2005 :) ) FWIW, I have a site that gets impressions for almost 1300 search terms and is on p1 for over 500 of them - it's ancient, it's ugly, and I haven't updated it in years - lol! (I'm afraid to touch it!)

Last edited:
•••
It does work for offering free kindle download.
But only if someone has a kindle.
I do that when I find a book in my niche that is free to download.
And some do just get it and run.
But others, just enough to say I make a couple of bucks, do buy other kindle books in the niche.

Again, I do not have an amazon site.
I just put in plugs here and there when I post.
Sometimes, not all the times.

•••
Here is a video about extendazon... I still need to take a look at the add on, been busy adding pages elsewhere.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back