Domain Empire

2016 Domain Predictions and Trends?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Muhammad Atif Qazi

Established Member
Impact
As we all saw, profited and went crazy over registrations towards the end of 2015. Experts said "We are not experts at the moment ". All because of the frenzy of NNNN, NNLLN, NNLNLNLNLNLNLNNLNLNNLNNLN.

What do you guys think will happen in 2016? Is the market going to slow down? Or remain like this crazy and letters & numbers in almost all popular TLDs disappear.

What should be the strategy going in towards 2016?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All Apple devices will start to resolve new gTLDs.

They are just...always ahead of the market :xf.wink:

I'm trying to figure out how that can happen.

Does Apple plan to add 200 + buttons?

:)

•••
In a few years buttons might be ancient history. Especially with ar and the steady improvements in voice to text

•••
In a few years buttons might be ancient history. Especially with ar and the steady improvements in voice to text

Perhaps voice recognition will be the future.

For now, though, voice recognition is spotty.

•••
in this case I have already voicerecognition.xyzB-)

•••
•••
•••
Of course domain names can be artworks if they are unique in some special way.
So domain names even can be abstract artworks - if they are, they don't must have content in my eyes, their existence alone is artwork already.

I see domain(s)/ing as a kind of art, not only as a business.
Agree with you that is why l m learning this art for growing my business.

•••
Agree with you that is why l m learning this art for growing my business.

The best 'tool' for 'learning this art' is your own creativity.
There are '3 / 4 / 5 / +... character patterns - those are the most common inside the world of domaining.
63 character pattern domain names are such another level in my eyes (high end).
There are many chances to be creative - just use some kind of pattern / system when creating them.
If the domain name is 'chaotic' and without any system it will be very difficult to sell it maybe someday.
But if your name has something special which others can see in it, then the chance that it will gain in worth is bigger of course.

•••
•••
What i actually think, and it's what i expect, is a response from the USA market to Chinese market. I mean, it can't be that Chinese market ruled the world of domaining just for internal market purpuses. The ammount of money was so big, that i think they want to see the effects overseas. So my idea is, that in the future we are going to see how the US market will try to make the move in confront to this. Which means, they are going to develop the other extensions available. So my idea is, be prepared to any extension. Just be sure of the right name.

Just my idea!

•••
really counting on it !

I expect new gTLD type-ins to slowly emerge in line with the public's adoption of these new extensions.

Popular exact match keywords forming the domain name eg. free.download, dublin.city, motor.bike etc should have some noteworthy type-in traffic.

Search engine use has drastically reduced type-in traffic through the years but the new gTLDs may give rise to a comeback.

Last edited:
•••
but the new gTLDs may give rise to a comeback.
true that. I have leadership.training domain which is getting 10-15 uniques a day and it has acquired 6 dofollow backlinks as well. Now focusing on building a nice leadership training/blog platform.

•••
If you all take time to watch the market trend very well, you can vividly see that the market favoured .com more better with the so call bubble people are talking about.

As for me I do not see anything like bubble, but as the change of trend in the market. The Chinese or whoever that didn't want to tie down or loss money will continue to buy and keep .coms and those who misses the train will continue to buy stylish nGTLDs as a followup or for brand protections.

In my own opinion, the only thing that could cause a back sliding for .com is, if the extension is delebrately counciled or stopped for sometime- which is not possible. As far as .com remains in market; it will continue to be ahead.

All these our hullabalou debates are just whithin domainers here and there on forums. The ordinary person does not believe in any other extensions than .com, because some people even don't know if there are other extensions than .com.

And that is why .com will remains till eternity. IMO and views.

Last edited:
•••
The main reason for .com being "king" is end user ignorance.

As end users get more educated about the digital domain .com will have less relevance. It will still be "king" for a while but other extensions (yes, including new, interesting ones) will become more and more relevant.
As for the short domains LLL, LLLL, LLLLL in .com, .net, etc. - the extension will only be budget relevant but all will have buyers - the reason is simple: most of the buyers are not end-users.
...same goes for numericals.

•••
in 2016 I think....

- More end user buyers will try to negotiate, after small business / middle class freelancers finally wake up and see the prices of LLLL liquid domains went up from $30 per crap to $3,000 per crap,
- Another 100 + newGTLDs to make some extra cash for registrars,
- #4 & #0 will finally pick up because the last combination of NNNNNNNNNNNNNN.com was registered,
- N-N.com will rise about one more figure.
- NamePros will have tons of new members

and I hope everyone here will get a piece of the $fat$ cake :)

•••
The main reason for .com being "king" is end user ignorance.

As end users get more educated about the digital domain .com will have less relevance. It will still be "king" for a while but other extensions (yes, including new, interesting ones) will become more and more relevant.
As for the short domains LLL, LLLL, LLLLL in .com, .net, etc. - the extension will only be budget relevant but all will have buyers - the reason is simple: most of the buyers are not end-users.
...same goes for numericals.

Whilst I am a relative noob, I am not sure that ignorance is the reason .com is the most widely accepted domain. I think it is a case of legacy, trust and acceptance. Education re the validity of the other extensions is for sure a point but I think .COM still holds value in its historical strength as the universal domain, and I think that value is valid. But this is only one opinion...

DI

•••
Whilst I am a relative noob, I am not sure that ignorance is the reason .com is the most widely accepted domain. I think it is a case of legacy, trust and acceptance. Education re the validity of the other extensions is for sure a point but I think .COM still holds value in its historical strength as the universal domain, and I think that value is valid. But this is only one opinion...

DI
and accidentally you are right :D

•••
I think following will happen :

1. Market will conslidate.
2. LLLL .com's and NNNNNN.com's will remain solid. Anything above that will fall in prices.
3. People will come to their senses (it may take more than one year ;) ) and hopefully will stick with .com's and other good opportunity in other tld's
4. LLL.com's floor price will rise and consolidate.
5. Atleast 30% of new tld's will drop.
6. Big players will become more active.
7. Positive correction will happen.

This is just my opinion and I reserve the right to be wrong. :)

•••
Meaningful 4+ letters and numbers with popular Chinese extensions will raise in value. Non-meaningful will drop in value.

New gTLDs where the left of the dot matches the right of the dot will raise in value. Non-matches will drop in value.

•••
Lots of domainers will get burnt in the Chinese craze :)

•••
- Top 4-6 world extensions will get standardized LLL, NNN,NNNN, LLLL prices internationally.

•••
•••
I think the domain market will crash considerably,since there're so many domain names,probably millions for sale in market currently.Today I heard a news 77.com sold for something like 5 million plus.What a waste of money.I think the bubble has already reached its threshold and will burst.

•••
2016 we'll see Social Media creative words.

•••
In 2016 I think that the .top, .sucks and .wtf will overtake the .com extension as the reigning KING of domain extensions!

Now with that said, where my darn EggNog? ;)

giphy.gif

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back