NameSilo

2016 Domain Predictions and Trends?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Muhammad Atif Qazi

Established Member
Impact
As we all saw, profited and went crazy over registrations towards the end of 2015. Experts said "We are not experts at the moment ". All because of the frenzy of NNNN, NNLLN, NNLNLNLNLNLNLNNLNLNNLNNLN.

What do you guys think will happen in 2016? Is the market going to slow down? Or remain like this crazy and letters & numbers in almost all popular TLDs disappear.

What should be the strategy going in towards 2016?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
still drone domains continue its stand and 3d domain will emerge again...we can see 4d domain sells also coz 4dprinting is in demand now..

•••
I predict that I will become the new 'Domain King', I will become a billionaire and I will be trending. :D

•••
I predict that I will become the new 'Domain King', I will become a billionaire and I will be trending
everybody is predicting that lol or should I say hoping that to become true. Well its a crazy business to be in, one just might get there.

•••
I predict that in 2016 some people who posted on this thread will come to grips with reality!

However, my predictions don't always come to be!
;)

reality-check.jpg

•••
As we all saw, profited and went crazy over registrations towards the end of 2015. Experts said "We are not experts at the moment ". All because of the frenzy of NNNN, NNLLN, NNLNLNLNLNLNLNNLNLNNLNNLN.

What do you guys think will happen in 2016? Is the market going to slow down? Or remain like this crazy and letters & numbers in almost all popular TLDs disappear.

What should be the strategy going in towards 2016?

•••
We saw 3L domains rising, and now it is very expensive. 4L just started last year, and all 4L dotcoms are practically disapearing. Looks like 5L dot comes that is pronouncable and can lead to a business will be onbe of 2016 hot trends. I just started with 3 5L domains : SQWEE.COM i bought it due to it is a "one word" in Urban dictionary : "An exclamation of pure excitement and hyperactivity" .... if this word becomes popular ... then there is a chance to link this to companies that cause pure excitement such as softdrink, smart phones etc. Another one is YUNKZ.COM as can be "linked" to youngsters ... where it can lead to products like clothes, shoes etc. Summarizing : 5L has potential since 4L's dot com are "gone" and 5L is pronouncable and brandable.

•••
We saw 3L domains rising, and now it is very expensive. 4L just started last year, and all 4L dotcoms are practically disapearing. Looks like 5L dot comes that is pronouncable and can lead to a business will be onbe of 2016 hot trends. I just started with 3 5L domains : SQWEE.COM i bought it due to it is a "one word" in Urban dictionary : "An exclamation of pure excitement and hyperactivity" .... if this word becomes popular ... then there is a chance to link this to companies that cause pure excitement such as softdrink, smart phones etc. Another one is YUNKZ.COM as can be "linked" to youngsters ... where it can lead to products like clothes, shoes etc. Summarizing : 5L has potential since 4L's dot com are "gone" and 5L is pronouncable and brandable.

Nice idea.Good luck. cheers.

•••
Short easy to remember domains will always be wanted. They will be the hardest to acquire and the easiest to sell.

Not sure what is going to happen in the numbers market.
I think brandable domains will increase in value and demand. There will always be new companies looking for a good domain. All the good keywords are taken and can be pricey.
4L.com will continue to climb.

I think we will see lots of drops due to the huge volume of reg's. This might be an opportunity to buy, but it might be a sign to wait until the smoke clears. The business is changing fast, stay on top of things and look for good domains not junk. Be selective. Hold onto the good stuff, drop the junk and you will do alright.

•••
I think that people will be geting used of the new top levels, and the .com dominance will be erroding due the competition. And the general users will have to follow too (of course it will take years).
The speed deppends on how the business online performs - the competition and volume of startups there. Currently Facebook is killing the forums and blogs which naturally lowers the demmand of names (besides some websites quit and drop the domains).

From SEO side it just makes sense as it gets cleaner. When someone searces for let's say "fair poker" (search volume 33,100/mo), Fair.Poker should be stronger than FairPoker.Com because the first is an exact match, while the second contains something extra (besides I don't own the second one :D). There is an inertia, branding for years, ranking in Google takes time and most of the .coms are years ahead etc. but starting a new website with a relative niche extension sounds good to me.

•••
I predict, the most undervalued domains like LLLN and NLLL domains will have great run this year as the hand registrations of these domains are almost complete.

•••
From SEO side it just makes sense as it gets cleaner. When someone searces for let's say "fair poker" (search volume 33,100/mo), Fair.Poker should be stronger than FairPoker.Com because the first is an exact match, while the second contains something extra (besides I don't own the second one :D).

Actually this is not the case. Google has gone on record several times saying that the only way the extension affects rankings are with CC domains.

A Google webmaster session had this brought up and a Rep from Google said "Keywords in a TLD do not give any advantage or disadvantage in search."

Here's the question and reply:

Q: How will new gTLDs affect search? Is Google changing the search algorithm to favor these TLDs? How important are they really in search?

A: Overall, our systems treat new gTLDs like other gTLDs (like .com and .org). Keywords in a TLD do not give any advantage or disadvantage in search.

Search Engine Land published some of the questions here:
http://searchengineland.com/google-explains-how-they-handle-the-new-top-level-domains-tlds-225671

Fair.poker would actually not be as good as fairpoker.com since they would only look at the "fair" part. However, with Google you never know. They can change that at any time. They have been doing some crazy things lately like the abc.xyz, so I wouldn't say for sure that the extensions would never play a role in rankings.

I've done a lot of research on these because I have found several of the new extensions with some great domains that are still available and I wanted to know if there was any kind of ranking boost. However, there is no boost for these so I let most go by. I found some real good ones too that I hated to let go but did. :(

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back