Dynadot

discuss Abandon vs selling

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MonkeyShines

Established Member
Impact
I'm looking into selling domains because of some article that said something like "don't just let your old domains expire, sell them!"

I think I'm the target audience of that article... A web developer who has a few unused, or no longer used domain names.

I think I have 5 such domains.

But reading around namepros this morning and it is becoming clear that one doesn't simply sell a domain name.

It seems like a lot of work, with little chance of pay off. Or at least not enough to justify the effort.

Unless a web developer wants a second career out of this, if he better off to just abandon the names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It depends on the domain names. I agree I wouldn't put any effort into selling $10 value domains (hopefully I don't hold any) I'll just drop them.

However it's worth checking out the value by putting them up, one at a time, in the appraisal section. If no responses then no value.

•••
It only takes a few minutes to open up an account at dan.com and at least list the names for sale while you still own them. If they're great names they'll get offers. If not, there's still a chance but definitely better than doing nothing.

•••
I've actually listed a few on Dan and a couple on afternic, and I basically ignored the listings because of time constraints. Today I'm trying to decide how to proceed, if at all.

And to be honest, I priced the names on Dan insanely high - dream prices that I'd be embarrassed to share with you.

•••
Don’t abandon them. It is difficult to sell to end users, but it isn’t hard to liquidate them. You could list them here on Namepros at auction starting at $1 each and see how high they get. Who knows,
You may get more than you thought.

•••
Don’t abandon them. It is difficult to sell to end users, but it isn’t hard to liquidate them. You could list them here on Namepros at auction starting at $1 each and see how high they get. Who knows,
You may get more than you thought.
Yeah, maybe there should be a service for people like me to just sell the batch was a bundle and walk away. Is there a service like that? Batch auctions?

•••
It only takes a few minutes to open up an account at dan.com and at least list the names for sale while you still own them. If they're great names they'll get offers. If not, there's still a chance but definitely better than doing nothing.
I love the way you think, @m-i-k-e.

•••
I've actually listed a few on Dan and a couple on afternic, and I basically ignored the listings because of time constraints. Today I'm trying to decide how to proceed, if at all.

And to be honest, I priced the names on Dan insanely high - dream prices that I'd be embarrassed to share with you.
Your honesty and humbleness is refreshing.
I still consider you ahead of most noobs pricing your names via BIN —no matter how high.

Shoot for the moon!! I cant price my names, you’re ahead of me. Recall, “impulse” price feels less than $2000 bucks, to under $500 and try to end in “88” —GL!

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, maybe there should be a service for people like me to just sell the batch was a bundle and walk away. Is there a service like that? Batch auctions?
I've never heard of a service like that, but you can hold your own batch auction here on NamePros.

Brokers could be willing to sell batched names on your behalf as well, but typically they would all fall within a certain niche, and would be higher quality names.

I have a laugh anytime I see one of those articles because they really do make it sound like there are buyers falling all over themselves just waiting to buy the domain names you don't want anymore. The truth is that the only way to get a quick sale in this business is to either get extremely lucky, or to sell at a wholesale price (i.e. extreme discount).

•••
I would like to say, please do not rush into the domain name investment industry unless you are ready to lose money.

If you just want to sell domain names that you no longer intend to use, put them on the market immediately and set a reasonable price for them. Time will tell you the answer. The results can be seen in their traffic and number of offers.

•••
•••

I would love a bundle/batch sell option!

Some domains just work well together, especially if they are brand protection, but also if there is a small portfolio that other investors might like to have. It would be nice to list them together (other than a personal website)

Maybe one day!

•••
Yes, you are correct that selling domain names can be a lot of work; if you're unwilling to invest the time and effort to market your domains. But you can make some money if you are willing to do some work. You need to consider several factors, including the quality of your domains, the current market demand, and marketing skills.

•••
I would love a bundle/batch sell option!

Some domains just work well together, especially if they are brand protection, but also if there is a small portfolio that other investors might like to have. It would be nice to list them together (other than a personal website)

Maybe one day!
you can do that on flippa

•••
I'm looking into selling domains because of some article that said something like "don't just let your old domains expire, sell them!"

I think I'm the target audience of that article... A web developer who has a few unused, or no longer used domain names.

I think I have 5 such domains.

But reading around namepros this morning and it is becoming clear that one doesn't simply sell a domain name.

It seems like a lot of work, with little chance of pay off. Or at least not enough to justify the effort.

Unless a web developer wants a second career out of this, if he better off to just abandon the names?
Ask for their values in the appraisal section.
Do you REALLY want money? If not, put a listing on namepros for $10 each, which covers 1 years of renewals and is better than dropping them.
I have found out the hard way, its a lot of work, no pay off and I am not even recouping my registration costs.I am a designer, that has more ideas than time! I have my own domains website, listings on Dan, Sedo, Afternic, brandpa and squadhelp and I am dropping the ones that dont even sell for $10. So far I have done nothing but lose money.

•••
Some domain registrars have marketplaces, and it is easy to sell domains if the prices are low.

•••
Some domain registrars have marketplaces, and it is easy to sell domains if the prices are low.
How low though? I have domains for $10 each here on namepros and although I’ve sold some, I’ve dropped about 10 because they didn’t sell.

•••
Some domains are listed for sale for $1 at some registrars, while other registrars do not list domains for less than $5

•••
Some domains are listed for sale for $1 at some registrars, while other registrars do not list domains for less than $5
yep, the effort seems pointless as my reg fees cost more than that, not accounting for time. Thanks though

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back