IT.COM

discuss Acquire.com vs Acquisition.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MKA

Established Member
Impact
Before I begin I want to clarify that I do not own either of these domains, nor am I affiliated with the owner or businesses of the sites hosted on them.

In November 2022 acquire.com sold for $240,000, and in April earlier that same year acquisition.com sold for $350,000.

This came as a bit of a surprise to me, and it's one of those sales that have bothered me ever since. While I recognize that both domains are incredibly valuable (and I believe acquire.com was a steal), my intuition says that acquire.com should be worth at least five times as much. It's shorter, it's easier recognized when typed out, etc. But for some reason it sold for almost 50% more.

Since acquisition.com was bought before acquire.com I can't even make the early-bird excuse. After all, the owner of acquisition.com should've been able to get acquire.com instead.

I'd very much like to hear people's opinion on this.

I'll also make some referential comparisons, to get the ball rolling:

Acquire > Acquisition
  • Registered in more extensions (176 : 151)
  • Easier to spell and recognize
  • Fewer characters (7 vs 11)
  • Fewer syllables (3 vs 4)
  • Root word > derivational affix
Acquire < Acquisition
  • 3 times higher search volume (72 : 24)
  • More common as a keyword (14K : 5K)
  • Noun > verb

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Acquire - call to action
Acquisition - field / a subdivision of ... many

He was not able to get ... bc sometimes the DN owners care more about the "using for" and "networking (business )" than $6fig or $7fig now.

Kind regards
I agree with the point of calling to action. I'm not a marketing expert, but I took a short course in college, and well, a call-to-action name can actually positively affect sales.

•••
For a website with the heading "DO YOU WANT TO SCALE YOUR BUSINESS?" the domain name "Acquisition.com" would likely be the more suitable choice. Here's why:

**Acquisition.com:**
- **Pros:**
- The term "Acquisition" directly aligns with the concept of scaling a business by acquiring assets, resources, or other businesses.
- It complements the idea of growth, expansion, and strategic development, which are key elements of scaling a business.
- The domain name is professional, impactful, and relevant to the theme of business growth and scaling.

- **Cons:**
- While "Acquisition.com" is a strong domain name for a website focused on scaling a business through acquisitions, it may not directly convey the idea of scaling through organic growth or other means.

While "Acquire.com" is a powerful domain name, "Acquisition.com" may better resonate with the specific heading "DO YOU WANT TO SCALE YOUR BUSINESS?" as it emphasizes the strategic aspect of growth and development through acquisitions. It can help set the tone for visitors looking to explore opportunities for scaling their business through acquisitions and strategic partnerships. Ultimately, the choice between "Acquisition.com" and "Acquire.com" will depend on the specific messaging and branding strategy of the website and how well the domain name aligns with the overall content and goals of the platform.

For a website with the heading "The best online marketplace to buy and sell startups," the domain name "Acquire.com" would likely be the more suitable choice. Here's why:

**Acquire.com:**
- **Pros:**
- The term "Acquire" directly conveys the action of obtaining or acquiring, which aligns well with the concept of buying and selling startups.
- It is a concise, impactful, and action-oriented term that can attract users looking to acquire or sell startups.
- The domain name is easy to remember and can help establish a strong brand identity for an online marketplace.

- **Cons:**
- Some users might associate "Acquire" more with individual transactions rather than continuous business scaling efforts, which could be a consideration depending on the specific focus of your marketplace.

While "Acquisition.com" could also work for a website related to buying and selling businesses, "Acquire.com" may have a more direct and intuitive connection to the marketplace concept, emphasizing the act of acquiring or selling startups. It can create a sense of urgency, action, and efficiency, which are desirable qualities for an online marketplace dealing with startups. Ultimately, the choice between "Acquisition.com" and "Acquire.com" will depend on your branding strategy, target audience, and the overall message you want to convey with your online marketplace platform.

•••
Acquire has radio test more than Acquisition!

•••
•••
The radio test for a domain name checks if people can spell a domain name when they hear it. They need to be able to type in your domain in order to visit your website, so it's critical that your name is memorable and easy-to-spell. The term “radio test” gets its origin from hearing a domain name on the radio.

•••
Yeah but acquisition.com is a B2B company, and business people can usually spell business-related terms. Google is also quite good at guessing meanings behind misspellings, which actually makes it harder to come up with innovative brand names that don't look like misspellings or typos to Google (initially at least).

Last edited:
•••
While the radio test was originally developed for radio advertisements, the concept can be applied to other forms of advertising as well. Here are some ways in which the radio test can be relevant to other forms of advertising:

1. Television Advertising: Just like on the radio, a memorable and easy-to-spell domain name can be beneficial for television advertisements. A domain name that is easy to remember can help viewers recall the website and visit it after the commercial has ended.

2. Print Advertising: In print advertisements, such as newspapers, magazines, or billboards, a memorable domain name can be beneficial in the same way. It can help readers remember the website and visit it later.

3. Social Media Advertising: Social media platforms have become a popular way to advertise websites. A memorable domain name can help users remember the website and visit it after seeing an advertisement on social media.

4. Search Engine Advertising: In search engine advertising, a memorable domain name can help users remember the website and visit it after seeing an advertisement in the search results.

5. Word of Mouth Advertising: A memorable domain name can also be beneficial for word-of-mouth advertising. When people talk about a website, a memorable domain name can make it easier for them to remember and share with others.

6. Email Marketing: In email marketing, a memorable domain name can be beneficial in the same way. It can help recipients remember the website and visit it after receiving an email.

In summary, a memorable and easy-to-spell domain name can be beneficial for various forms of advertising, not just radio advertisements. It can help users remember the website and visit it later, making it an important consideration for businesses and individuals looking to establish a strong online presence.

Applying the radio test to the websites acquisition.ai and acquire.ai, comparing and contrasting them:

1. Acquisition.ai:
• Radio Test: Acquisition.ai does not pass the radio test as it is not easy to spell or remember. The name sounds like a combination of "acquisition" and "AI," which may confuse listeners and make it difficult for them to remember the correct spelling.
• Ease of Use: The name Acquisition.ai may be difficult for users to type in correctly, as it contains a combination of words and abbreviations that may not be familiar to all users.
• Branding: The name Acquisition.ai does not convey a clear brand message or identity, and may not be immediately recognizable as a brand name.

2. Acquire.ai:
• Radio Test: Acquire.ai passes the radio test as it is easy to spell and remember. The name is simple and easy to understand, and listeners are likely to remember the correct spelling.
• Ease of Use: The name Acquire.ai is easy to type in, as it contains only two words that are commonly used in English.
• Branding: The name Acquire.ai conveys a clear brand message and identity, as it suggests a company that helps users acquire or obtain something.

Comparison:
• Both names contain the word "AI," which may suggest a connection to artificial intelligence or machine learning.
• Acquisition.ai is longer and more complex than Acquire.ai, which may make it more difficult to remember and spell.
• Acquire.ai is easier to pronounce and spell, and its meaning is more straightforward, which may make it easier for users to understand and remember.

In conclusion, Acquire.ai passes the radio test and is generally easier to remember and spell than Acquisition.ai. Additionally, Acquire.ai conveys a clear brand message and is easier to pronounce and type in, making it a stronger name for a website.

Although unrelated to the radio test, consider the what I'd like to call Drive-By Recall Test: I have observed numerous vehicles on the road displaying their websites on various parts of their vehicle, such as the trunk, side, back window, and other locations. Many of these website addresses are excessively lengthy, confusing, or presented in cursive, a difficult font, or an unclear color scheme. Consequently, moments after they pass by or I drive past them, I struggle to recall the website addresses.

For optimal visibility and memorability, website addresses on vehicles should be concise, clear, and prominently displayed. Using easily readable fonts, simple color schemes, and strategic placement on the vehicle can enhance the effectiveness of promoting the website to passing viewers. Short, catchy domain names that are relevant to the business or brand can also improve the chances of viewers remembering and visiting the website later.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah but acquisition.com is a B2B company, and business people can usually spell business-related terms. Google is also quite good at guessing meanings behind misspellings, which actually makes it harder to come up with innovative brand names that don't look like misspellings or typos to Google (initially at least).
That's a valid point about B2B companies and the ability of business professionals to spell business-related terms. It's true that Google's algorithms have become adept at interpreting and even correcting misspellings, which can pose a challenge for creating unique brand names that don't appear as typos initially. Balancing brand distinctiveness with search engine optimization considerations is indeed a key consideration in today's digital landscape.

•••
Stop with the ChatGPT responses.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back