IT.COM

information Afternic Just Posts Data on Year 2022 Sales by TLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
This morning the Afternic Twitter account posted a summary of year 2022 sales by TLD. They first posted a graphic showing the huge dominance of .com. The graph is really hard to read, but the huge blue square is .com.

DataTLDs.jpeg

But in the second Tweet they gave an ordered list by TLD. I have captured it below:

AfternicTLDlist.png

My observations from the data:
  • com even more dominant than might have predicted
  • not surprised that org leads net, but the first graph shows difference not much
  • somewhat surprised that co leads both xyz and io and others
  • ca did well as country code
  • shop surprisingly strong, just ahead of app
  • cc ahead of tv and de, but ordered list the differences may be slight
Really appreciate Afternic sharing the data. Thanks @James Iles for any role in release, or pass on thanks to others, please.

-Bob

PS Note that this data is by total dollar volume, not the number of domains sold. Therefore the huge .com sales play big role in the graph.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for sharing Bob! It's certainly a coincidence that more insights have been shared since I started working for GoDaddy ;)

This is a valuable look at the dominance of .com, but with strong representation for .org, .net, and .co in particular. For me, any data from any domain industry marketplace helps domain investors to make better, more informed choices when buying & selling domains.

•••
Thanks for the insight. Only thing is the Graph needs improvement.

•••
somewhat surprised that co leads both xyz and io and others
Hi

what i'm noticing is that .net is leading all of them, even though it doesn't get "props" like some of the others.

imo...

•••
Hi

what i'm noticing is that .net is leading all of them, even though it doesn't get "props" like some of the others.

imo...

.net is still the domain of choice when .com is not available for no-games, classic businesses.

But, I suspect that if we had more granular data, we would see that most of that overall .net pie comes either from LL.net, LLL.net, good dictionary word .net or cheaply priced domains in $300 to $1k range. Combined with 20% higher renewal than .com, .net becomes not the best investment option for an investor.

From my own experience, regular nice brandables that are good fit for .org have way better chance of selling at $2k+ than regular nice brandables that are good fit for .net or good second fiddle to .com

•••

.co might even do better in future, as the .com owners want to get hold of typo of .com (missing m).
Besides, non .com owners would want to grab the share of the same typo!!!

As .co sounds like equivalent to .company - it's even more of 'MUST own' for the brand owners, especially .com owners!

•••
.co might even do better in future, as the .com owners want to get hold of typo of .com (missing m).
Besides, non .com owners would want to grab the share of the same typo!!!
While this sounds like verbatim copy from CoInternet website, I do think .co is up-and-coming TLD. As you say, availability, and also the recognizability of .co to the general public caters to even the most conservative (non-ngTLD) corporate use-cases.

•••
Horrible data visualization by AFTERNIC.

•••
•••
I am happy with this data because it agrees with my buying preference:
1- com
2- org
3- net
4- co

Last edited:
•••
tis disagrees with many other sales..namebio etc

the best investments for domainers have noting to do with org or net

the order is more ...
com io co org net xyz info

if u or newbies think they will make money off org and net then good luck getting screwed.

•••
They first posted a graphic showing the huge dominance of .com. The graph is really hard to read, but the huge blue square is .com.
When I first saw this on Twitter, I zoomed the image in and was looking at the right side of the image.
For a second I was totally confused, because I couldn't find .com there! LOL. :ROFL:

Then I realized that the .com is covering most of the image on the left, like blue ocean does on the surface of our planet. I must say, the blue color suited .com well! :unsure:

I want to know though, did anyone else make the same mistake at the first glance! :xf.wink:

• com even more dominant than might have predicted
Well, may be for us domainers and tech people there are .net, .org, .gTLD, .ccTLD etc. but for most people of the world, websites still usually mean .com by default.

Not to mention, if you open any browser on a computer and type any word in the browser address bar, say "somesite", and then press Control + Enter — the browser will take you to somesite.com.

Which means, .com is the default web address everywhere, and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future (I'm sure you know this).

Yeah, that's a surprise for me too. I guess .co doesn't get much publicity as .xyz or .io, but silently does well anyway.

The next year's data will be interesting. I think we'll see a huge surge on .ai sales, while .ai is not even on this 2022 list! :unsure:

Anyways, thanks for the details 🌹
Fayaz.

Last edited:
•••
PS Note that this data is by total dollar volume, not the number of domains sold. Therefore the huge .com sales play big role in the graph.

I thought it represents the Number of Domains Sold!

This is the title of the Graph:

1680843056025.png

"by Volume of Domains Sold" — doesn't it mean "by the Number of Domains Sold"?

Or may be I'm just understanding the terminology wrong! :unsure:

Had it said, "Dollar Volume" or "Number of Domains" — that would've eliminated the confusion.

@James Iles — can you please confirm which understanding is correct?

Best Regards,
Fayaz.

•••
I was initially surprised that .de wasn't higher, but then I realize most high .de sales come via Sedo.

I had a few 4 figure and 1 five figure .AI sale(s) on Afternic in 2022, but looks like .AI didn't make the cut.

•••
But, I suspect that if we had more granular data, we would see that most of that overall .net pie comes either from LL.net, LLL.net, good dictionary word .net or cheaply priced domains in $300 to $1k range. Combined with 20% higher renewal than .com, .net becomes not the best investment option for an investor.

Hi

.net renewal fee may be higher than .com, but the cost is lower than .co, .io and about equal to .xyz
and since it is ranked higher than those extensions by volume of sales...then obviously some investors have been making some good investments.

another point is that many .co and .xyz are being labeled as "premium" registrations, particularly those with 3 letters or less in expiry auctions.

so, pound for pound, you still gotta pay more to invest in those other extensions.

imo...

the order is more ...

if u or newbies think they will make money off org and net then good luck getting screwed.

Hi

i made about $500 in ppc from my .orgs last year and have sold quite a few .net investments over the years.

imo...

•••
tis disagrees with many other sales..namebio etc

the order is more ...

I only invest in mostly com, net, org. I don't waste my time with the rest.

•••
I only invest in mostly com, net, org. I don't waste my time with the rest.

well aftr u invest in.org and net u already waste all yo time so I get it

•••
Hi

.net renewal fee may be higher than .com, but the cost is lower than .co, .io and about equal to .xyz
and since it is ranked higher than those extensions by volume of sales...then obviously some investors have been making some good investments.

another point is that many .co and .xyz are being labeled as "premium" registrations, particularly those with 3 letters or less in expiry auctions.

so, pound for pound, you still gotta pay more to invest in those other extensions.

imo...

Hi

i made about $500 in ppc from my .orgs last year and have sold quite a few .net investments over the years.

imo...

sold some too... but u me and he doesnt mean its avg and good choice.. io and co sell more.

•••
"by Volume of Domains Sold" — doesn't it mean "by the Number of Domains Sold"?
I took it to mean how volume is usually used in the industry, dollar volume, but it is certainly possible that you are right and instead it means number of sales. Hopefully @James Iles will be able to track down which it is for us.

-Bob

•••
.net is still the domain of choice when .com is not available for no-games, classic businesses.

From my own experience, regular nice brandables that are good fit for .org have way better chance of selling at $2k+ than regular nice brandables that are good fit for .net or good second fiddle to .com

.org's advantage over .net is that the Crypto and fintech sector have embraced it like they have .io and Co.

Even .network seems more preferable for some tech companies to .net.

•••
It is surprising that there are significant changes between these results and NameBio. For the same year (2022) and using only sales $500 and up (to try to reduce impact of auction wholesale acquisitions) here are the results from NameBio for the extensions right after .com. I ordered by sales dollar volume, but if the Afternic results are by number of sales, one would use right hand column.

TLDdollar volume
number
org
$6,900,000​
2586​
xyz
$4,200,000​
509​
net
$2,700,000​
1170​
io
$1,900,000​
459​
co
$1,100,000​
327​

They agree on org being next, but the NameBio results then show xyz before net (if volume) and show io ahead of co (no matter dollar volume or number of sales), in contrast to the Afternic results.

What does this mean? Probably just that different marketplaces have different strengths in terms of the type of names that sell there. If only Afternic sales were reported to NameBio, we would have a much more complete picture of what is happening in the market.

There are also big differences in the national TLD ordering. Again for $500+ sales from 2022, here are the results from NameBio for .de, .us and .ca.

de
$2,400,000​
537​
us
$331,000​
81​
ca
$190,800​
29​

The Afternic results rank .us ahead of .ca and both ahead of .de, whereas .de totally dominates in the NameBio results, whether one uses dollar volume or number.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Really appreciate for this great sharing

•••
but looks like .AI didn't make the cut.
I am pretty sure that will be different when the 2023 results are released! But even in 2022, I was somewhat surprised.

I was initially surprised that .de wasn't higher, but then I realize most high .de sales come via Sedo.
Yes it really demonstrates that in certain TLDs there is a huge difference between Afternic and Sedo. One must be careful in making conclusions from NameBio since (almost all) of the Afternic results are not in for last 9 years or so.

It would have been really nice to have the specific numbers (number of sales, sales volume) rather than just graphical presentation, and also some breakdown by price. But appreciative of this much data, that as far as I know we have not received for a number of years.

-Bob

•••
It is surprising that there are significant changes between these results and NameBio. For the same year (2022) and using only sales $500 and up (to try to reduce impact of auction wholesale acquisitions) here are the results from NameBio for the extensions right after .com. I ordered by sales dollar volume, but if the Afternic results are by number of sales, one would use right hand column.

TLDdollar volume
number
org
$6,900,000​
2586​
xyz
$4,200,000​
509​
net
$2,700,000​
1170​
io
$1,900,000​
459​
co
$1,100,000​
327​

They agree on org being next, but the NameBio results then show xyz before net (if volume) and show io ahead of co (no matter dollar volume or number of sales), in contrast to the Afternic results.

What does this mean? Probably just that different marketplaces have different strengths in terms of the type of names that sell there. If only Afternic sales were reported to NameBio, we would have a much more complete picture of what is happening in the market.

There are also big differences in the national TLD ordering. Again for $500+ sales from 2022, here are the results from NameBio for .de, .us and .ca.

de
$2,400,000​
537​
us
$331,000​
81​
ca
$190,800​
29​

The Afternic results rank .us ahead of .ca and both ahead of .de, whereas .de totally dominates in the NameBio results, whether one uses dollar volume or number.

-Bob

Could be explained by USA vs Europe exposure.

.de owners, possibly rightfully, believe that Sedo has better exposure to the European, especially German, buyers and have better brand recognition there. So they might have better stock, more customers, more sales than Afternic.

And, vice versa, .us is big for the USA that is dominated by GD/Afternic.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back