IT.COM

Afternic Now Supporting IDN's

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Excellent news to see Afternic expaning to include IDN's! I just noticed it today when I went to list a name and saw the option to enter IDN names either in native character or code.
Looks like I will be busy listing this afternoon...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Afternic is a few steps ahead of Sedo on IDN's,because Afternic has FULL IDN support including Chinese symbols,currency symbols,ALL languages.Sedo only currently supports German,French,and Spanish symbols.
Way to go Afternic!

•••
yay. Now going to list my names.

•••
holy crap

these idn's are the "latecomers" versions of .com

since all the 3 letter.com's are taken, they just made up some new char. to add in front of the dot.

sedo if full of them in the 3 letter search string, and they aren't really 3 letters.

a lot of suckers are getting taken!

Idiot Domain Names

don't be mad......just my personal opinion!

•••
biggie said:
holy crap

Idiot Domain Names

don't be mad......just my personal opinion!

Personally, I am not mad :) But I basically disagree. Some names with country characters are veeery often typed in search engines (people in many countries are using keyboards with country characters - nothing strange or unusual), some of them has quite good Ovt. with ext. and they simply bring you a good revenue. I own such names as well. Some of them are generic terms and they will be worth something soon. Browsers are now decoding IDNs without any problems. IDN market is growing up fast and clever domainers have noticed it long time ago. But I understand english speaking people sharing your point of view - they almost dont use international characters in writing. So they dont see the potential of IDNs. IMHO
Greetings, hookah

•••
How do IDN domains work with email?

•••
Great and Exciting news for me, thanks for sharing Matt :tu: :p

•••
mole said:
How do IDN domains work with email?
if you have the character set to show the characters, then they will show in emails as well

•••
but how do you type them on a western (qwerty) keyboard?

--Tone

•••
valuehosted said:
but how do you type them on a western (qwerty) keyboard?

--Tone

To type the on a western keyboard you either need a special typing program with one of those clear plastic keyboard overlays,or a very efficient Accent Composing program.
Myself,I just use the Character Map to "type" them.It's found in Accessories--->System Tools--->Character Map.It's good enough for my purposes,just copy and pasting the letters.I've even inadvertantly memorized all the ALT codes for the German,French,and Spanish letters,from doing it so long!

mole said:
How do IDN domains work with email?"
You mean addresses such as Matt@Diseño.com correct? From what I've read how to handle that is a hot issue.Right now I think whether it will work or not depends on your "email client" and that of the person your sending mail to.I actually haven't been keeping up on the email side of IDN's,maybe someone else has more info..but last I knew it was a debate between techs to decide on a standard.I think "Webmail" works with IDN's,they offer it free with registration at 007Names.com.

hookah said:
(people in many countries are using keyboards with country characters - nothing strange or unusual), some of them has quite good Ovt. with ext. and they simply bring you a good revenue
I totally agree hookah.A bulk of my PPC revenue comes from IDN's.A bulk of domainers don't even know what they are or even how to find them in OVT.I have lists and lists of unregged OVT with extension IDN's,I just can't afford to reg them all.I'm waiting until the December OVT comes out so I can see which ones retained their scores..and then go on a spending spree :)
Matt

•••
IDN's for foreign words that actually use them are probably great, as people in those languages deserve to have names spelled correctly.

However substituting IDN characters in english words that don't have them is useless and currently a way to try to scam people who don't know better. A bidder now has bowling.com on ebay with bids and the "I" is the accented "i" IDN character. I wonder if the bidder even knows this. More scammers giving the industry a bad name.

•••
There's a real overkill in good chinese names on afternic, business.com starting from $100, doesn't feel exactly right...just a feeling offcourse.

•••
oops i nearly forgot this. I better get a move on and list my names......

•••
Bramiozo said:
There's a real overkill in good chinese names on afternic, business.com starting from $100, doesn't feel exactly right...just a feeling offcourse.

Yeah,I saw that too and think I figured out why.He probably has many many IDN and instead of list them all invidivually,be simply used the Bulk Lister which automatically starts them all at $100.
I've heard it's actually a good strategy to put your minimum offer at just $100,that way it is likely to recieve more bids..and in turn be featured in the "closing soon" listing..which garners more front page exposure.

•••
I was also intimidated by the amount of generic names, it would seem to me that selling Ferrari's per parkinglot will make the buyer think he's buying a T-Ford. You see where I am going ?
It may give any potential buyer the impression that these generic names aren't so special even if they are in general terms.
If someone would want to buy a name for big $$$ he will surely not find it a menace to contact you personally, right ?

That reminds me, I have put most of my chinese names on ebay and there's little attention even though I posted it on eachnic.net, maybe the market's not ready at all ?

•••
Dillpup said:
Bramiozo said:

Yeah,I saw that too and think I figured out why.He probably has many many IDN and instead of list them all invidivually,be simply used the Bulk Lister which automatically starts them all at $100.
I've heard it's actually a good strategy to put your minimum offer at just $100,that way it is likely to recieve more bids..and in turn be featured in the "closing soon" listing..which garners more front page exposure.
I saw a lot of those as well. That was quite annoying, because around 10 pages were filled up with the domains, when i was trying to find some names in another language. Maybe afternic needs to seperate it into different languages

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back