Dynadot

advice An old, one word, com domain. What is the best option to find out the minimal value?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MondayAm

Impact
I would like to sell a 19 year old domain, one word, com.
GoDaddy $10+k
NameWorth $64+k
Saw ~$98k
EstiBot $46+k

My question is how to set a minimum selling price. I have read all of the newbie info posts (how to) on this website and if domain appraisals are completely worthless, what is the best option to find out the minimal value? Are my only options dan, sedo, afternic biddings/auctions? If I take a broker I have to set a minimum price. Is $10,000 an excessive minimum price? Thank you for helping me out.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you pm me the domain i will give you an opinion to your pm.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
You can pm me too, I'll give you my opinion.

•••
•••
Now I’m curious too!!
Send it to me too if you want

•••
It's very difficult to determine the value of the domain without knowing what it is.

Intuitively I'd guess it's a five figures domain. But there are so many other variables to consider. What's the number of characters, does it have an derivation or inflectional affix, is it a well-known word, is it brandable?

•••
No, $10,000 is not an excessive minimum ask for a domain name. Depending on the name though it might be way too low or it may take a long time to sell if ever.

Are you the original registrant? If so, what have you been doing with it over the years. Has there been a way for potential buyers to contact you during that time? Any offers received?

Before pricing the name do some research to figure out if there are already potential buyers out there who should be interested in the name. How many TLDs is the name registered in? How many of those are developed? Commercially? Are there businesses out there using the word as part of their domain or brand? Are people searching for the word? In what context? Are companies paying to advertise to those keyword searches? These are some of the questions you need to answer to help you come up with a fair price.

A one word .com always sounds impressive, but they aren’t all created equal and can vary wildly in desirability.

other questions you can ask yourself without doing any research; what kind of vibe does the word give off? Ex. Positive? Edgy? Humorous? Bland? Negative?
if you said this word to a 12 year old would they understand it’s meaning?
Does the word have similar/crossover meaning in other languages?

The more people that would understand the meaning of the word and generally get a good feeling from the idea generated by the word - the better potential it may have to bring in a good payday as one general rule of thumb.

•••
No, $10,000 is not an excessive minimum ask for a domain name. Depending on the name though it might be way too low or it may take a long time to sell if ever.

Are you the original registrant? If so, what have you been doing with it over the years. Has there been a way for potential buyers to contact you during that time? Any offers received?

Before pricing the name do some research to figure out if there are already potential buyers out there who should be interested in the name. How many TLDs is the name registered in? How many of those are developed? Commercially? Are there businesses out there using the word as part of their domain or brand? Are people searching for the word? In what context? Are companies paying to advertise to those keyword searches? These are some of the questions you need to answer to help you come up with a fair price.

A one word .com always sounds impressive, but they aren’t all created equal and can vary wildly in desirability.

other questions you can ask yourself without doing any research; what kind of vibe does the word give off? Ex. Positive? Edgy? Humorous? Bland? Negative?
if you said this word to a 12 year old would they understand it’s meaning?
Does the word have similar/crossover meaning in other languages?

The more people that would understand the meaning of the word and generally get a good feeling from the idea generated by the word - the better potential it may have to bring in a good payday as one general rule of thumb.
Many thanks Mike!

•••
It really depends on the domain. English and one-word is great sign :) , however there are many words that are not business-viable or too obscure to have significant value. It could be $10 or $10k or $10m.

I'd also recommend to post it in the appraisal section, if it's a great name you'll definitely get lots of feedback. Alternatively, I'd be happy to give you my take in private.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back