IT.COM

Best books for learning HTML and Web Dev?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I'm trying to learn coding and web development, specifically as it pertains to WP. At this point, I'm not interested in the design element, just being able to tweak, fix, or add-to existing code. What books would you recommend? Mostly everything I've come across seems to focus on setting up a blog, all of the basic UI stuff which I get, it's the backend and coding I want to become more proficient at.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Search around on Amazon.com, you will find a good book! also keep on reading web design discussion section of this forum! join other web design forums and participate in discussions! discussions will make you learn more with the fun instead of a book!

•••
You can google it and find many useful books to learn.

•••
W3schools is good options to learn CSS and HTML. It is a best and effective way for new and old HTML programmers alike. Using this tool you will able to learn quickly.

•••
What books would you recommend? Mostly everything I've come across seems to focus on setting up a blog, all of the basic UI stuff which I get, it's the backend and coding I want to become more proficient at.
1) for learning HTML or CSS, it is the best you could do it using any online tutorials such as w3schools (especially using "Try it Yourself" examples).
2) for backend coding you need 2 things: PHP and MYSQL. There are plenty of books online and offline on both subjects.

•••
•••
I'm trying to learn coding and web development, specifically as it pertains to WP. Mostly everything I've come across seems to focus on setting up a blog

Thanks
That is because as a blogging environment, Wordpress manuals tend to focus on USAGE not development & backend training.
As WP is written using PHP/mySQL with Javascript, Get a couple good books on PHP/mySQL, Javascript and HTML/CSS.
A lot of web development uses these 3 components so the knowledge will be a good start.

•••
W3schools is good options to learn CSS and HTML. It is a best and effective way for new and old HTML programmers alike. Using this tool you will able to learn quickly.

w3schools sucks, period. Loads of errors and bad syntax. i would advice you to search on google for the stuff you want to learn or buy a book.

•••
The HeadFirst book series are definitely good for beginners.

Have you checked out any of the free online courses? Codcademy, Udacity, Skillshare, etc. are all great resources. You might also want to see if your local HackerSpace has any classes for getting started.

•••
I'm trying to learn coding and web development, specifically as it pertains to WP. At this point, I'm not interested in the design element, just being able to tweak, fix, or add-to existing code. What books would you recommend? Mostly everything I've come across seems to focus on setting up a blog, all of the basic UI stuff which I get, it's the backend and coding I want to become more proficient at.

Thanks
Also study CSS with the HTML...I am also a big http://www.w3schools.com/html/ fan

•••
W3schools is a best one, and also participate in forums related to Web design and development.

•••
I personally prefer to learn online from sites and forums. It's free and I'm on the computer all of the time anyway.

•••
As per my knowledge w3schools website is good among all.and not only that you can learn through videos for HTML and web development. Good Luck.

•••
As per my knowledge w3schools website is good among all.and not only that you can learn through videos for HTML and web development. Good Luck.

Correct. There are numerous videos on YouTube and other sites that can give learners step-by-step visual walkthroughs. That's how I got started with Flash. We just have to make the time to learn!

•••
w3schools is very good for begineers !
just try

•••
W3school will help you to improve your skills

•••

Thanks

hi you must learn it at w3school because its the best site for coding.

•••
World Wide Web Consortium
w3.org

•••
A good reference book (as opposed to a how to book) is "Cascading Style Sheets - The Definitive Guide" by Eric A Meyer - useful if you want to check the standards (my version is valid for CSS 2.1).

•••
For $25/month I find Lynda.com is cheaper and better than buying books.

•••
Forum is good place for learning these kind of stuffs.

Try joining any programming/coding forum, participate there regularly, you would learn a lot of thing..

•••
Used books on eBay from sellers like the Goodwill are gold mines. I acquire what used to be a $50 text book for $2-3!

Another suggestion are tutorial videos that are available. Some like TutsPlus are costly but many can be found on places like Youtube free of charge.

When learning any of this, the best advice I have been given is practice, no matter what tool you're using. None of it will work until you put it into practice. I am self-taught on HTML and am starting to learn SQL right now.

•••
Learn the very basics first. Then learn only what you need to get stuff done. Carve out your skills based on need. Don't cram your head full of stuff that you're not going to use this week/month. Learn as you go and build upon experience. Even great coders need a handy reference.

•••
Ask Google, he is our friend. :) Or go to Amazon and take a look. There are really amazing books. :)

•••
When I first tried to learn, I learned from W3School and Google search.

I preferred you not to buy any book for it. Just type your problem in Google and you will find many solutions related to that problem.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back