Domain Empire

advice Buying different domain extensions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sjpals

Yeah, this is meTop Member
Impact
Ive only ever bought .com domains. Ive been looking at all the different extensions eg .actor, .academy etc and am wondering if they are worth purchasing. I have found some that godaddy values at 6K, but the purchase prices are $500 - 1K. Im not rich, so cant just part with that money without being reasonably sure they will sell within the year (before the renewals, as they are super expensive to renew).

Would you pay $1250 for something valued at $6.7K with godaddy?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Valuations mean very little and there are no guarantees of a sale in a year or ever.

Stick with the popular extensions imo until you know more. Com net org io co and maybe xyz.

•••
Do not go that route, you will lose $$$ in the blink of an eye and lots of blinking, then weeping.

Also, your plan to "build websites" mentioned in your other thread is an equally bad idea, unfortunately. If you expect to make bank. Instead you'll be closing bank... accounts.

Last edited:
•••
Do not go that route, you will lose $$$ in the blink of an eye and lots of blinking, then weeping.

Also, your "developing websites" plan in your other thread is an equally bad idea, unfortunately. If you expect to make bank. Instead you'll be closing bank... accounts.
OK, so ill stick to .coms then, thanks.
Thanks for reading my other thread as well, just so many thoughts at the mo.

So, is it best to just hold for the 60 days and then put on sale? I am a website developer, so that was my thought, but I would just rather sell the domain with nothing on it, that is the lazy route lol!

Sorry to ask all the Qs, but as you read the other thread as well... should I just try to sell more, cheaper or hold at a higher price?

•••
There are no easy answers. Although ideally you hold for the higher price.

But the best advice is to observe and, over time, learn what kind of domains sell at those prices and very gradually you can -- possibly -- generate some worthwhile results. But there are no guarantees.

•••
There are no easy answers. Although ideally you hold for the higher price.

But the best advice is to observe and, over time, learn what kind of domains sell at those prices and very gradually you can -- possibly -- generate some worthwhile results. But there are no guarantees.
Thanks for your advice. I have been doing a lot of observing, and double checking my hunches on godaddy. Most are average and are more single words or easily brandable .coms. I only looked at others as I saw e.cat (unless you apply to do something in Catalan, you cant have it!!). So I explored and found at least 10 single letter domains on random extensions, which, as I said, according to godaddy are all worth over 5K, but they all cost $500 - 2K, and as rightly said, no guarantees of selling. Thank you

•••
but I would just rather sell the domain with nothing on it, that is the lazy route lol!
Hi

you may laugh, out of ignorance...
if you think buying and then selling domains with nothing on them, is a lazy method.

sure, waiting for offers, seems lazy
but prior to that, one had to acquire a portfolio that gets inquiries, offers and sales.
and that, required some work.

and... that's doesn't account for those who actively solicit perspective buyers.

once you get to a certain level,
then you can be "laid-back" in moments, but the mind is always working.

imo..

•••
Hi

you may laugh, out of ignorance...
if you think buying and then selling domains with nothing on them, is a lazy method.

sure, waiting for offers, seems lazy
but prior to that, one had to acquire a portfolio that gets inquiries, offers and sales.
and that, required some work.

and... that's doesn't account for those who actively solicit perspective buyers.

once you get to a certain level,
then you can be "laid-back" in moments, but the mind is always working.

imo..
I have put a hell of a lot of effort into buying my domains. I meant in comparison to creating a website. I was originally planning to create full e-commerce websites on every domain

•••
If you will pay let me find them that sound like crap based on the algorithm.

•••
If you will pay let me find them that sound like crap based on the algorithm.
I don’t have any money! I also enjoy looking for the domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back