IT.COM

Can a domain be blocked due to an incorrect home address?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rigo

Impact
Hello. I have 14 .com, .net and .org domains, registered with 5 different popular registrars. All domains belong to good white sites with good income, all domains have free private protection included, all domains are registered with my data (email, phone, first name, last name, country, city, etc.), but there is one problem - it is indicated there not my real home address. Could this be grounds for the registrar to block my domains or take them away? I think this is not fair, since I may not have a permanent place of residence at all, live in a hotel, in a rented apartment or in a motorhome, become a refugee or homeless, or change my place of residence and forget to change the data with the registrars. In addition, even if I send a photo of my passport to the registrar, he still won’t understand where I live, since everything except my first and last name is written in my native language. For gray and black projects, I have separate accounts with fake data that I don’t mind losing, but these 14 domains are very dear to me and I wouldn’t want to lose them, so I’m thinking, should I add the place where I live or forget about it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Normally people who have fake information are Scammers.
I don't even want to deal with you if you have fake information
The registrars did the right thing.

•••
It is a rule that all whois data must be accurate and include your real and complete address, name and contact info. It doesn’t matter which registrar you use. Its mandatory.

Nobody cares what you think is fair. If you are homeless you shouldn’t be buying domains. Any upstanding person or business has no problem listing their accurate address. As John mentioned, it makes you sound like a scammer or up to no good.

•••
There's a reason we receive domain registration conformation info requests each year. It's a requirement of the T & C's we signed up to. I was homeless for about two years (No fixed abode ) I know what a painful status that can be but I did cover all my correspondence needs. You can't be complaining if your not complying..

No fixed abode means pretty much non-person these days You should be aware of that. Playing around with fictitious registration data is a good reason to cancel all your domains. Nothing new there

•••
Add the place & keep the name if you care about

•••
[COLOR=hsl(1, 59%, 45%)]Normally people who have fake information are Scammers.[/COLOR]
I don't even want to deal with you if you have fake information
The registrars did the right thing.

No one can prove that the data is fake. In my passport, the entry about my place of registration is not in english, all other information (mail, phone, first name, last name, city, my face and even skype video) are real.

If you are homeless you shouldn’t be buying domains.

If I don't have a home, then I don't have human and civil rights?

There's a reason we receive domain registration conformation info requests each year. It's a requirement of the T & C's we signed up to. I was homeless for about two years (No fixed abode ) I know what a painful status that can be but I did cover all my correspondence needs. You can't be complaining if your not complying..

No fixed abode means pretty much non-person these days You should be aware of that. Playing around with fictitious registration data is a good reason to cancel all your domains. Nothing new there

Thank you

Add the place & keep the name if you care about

Sorry, bro, I didn't understand what you wrote.

Last edited:
•••
It's not the registrar who has to prove that your address is fake, it's you who has to prove that it's real, should they have questions.
Obtaining a domain name is not a basic human right, don't twist it.

Sorry, but trying to convince people that you have 14 domain names and no real address makes everyone automatically think you a scammer (regardless what is the truth). The problem for you is that the registrar thinks the same way.

•••
Hello. I have 14 .com, .net and .org domains, registered with 5 different popular registrars. All domains belong to good white sites with good income, all domains have free private protection included, all domains are registered with my data (email, phone, first name, last name, country, city, etc.), but there is one problem - it is indicated there not my real home address. Could this be grounds for the registrar to block my domains or take them away? I think this is not fair, since I may not have a permanent place of residence at all, live in a hotel, in a rented apartment or in a motorhome, become a refugee or homeless, or change my place of residence and forget to change the data with the registrars. In addition, even if I send a photo of my passport to the registrar, he still won’t understand where I live, since everything except my first and last name is written in my native language. For gray and black projects, I have separate accounts with fake data that I don’t mind losing, but these 14 domains are very dear to me and I wouldn’t want to lose them, so I’m thinking, should I add the place where I live or forget about it?
He said that he has fake data.

•••
No one can prove that the data is fake. In my passport, the entry about my place of registration is not in english, all other information (mail, phone, first name, last name, city, my face and even skype video) are real.

If I don't have a home, then I don't have human and civil rights?

Thank you

Sorry, bro, I didn't understand what you wrote.
Owning a domain is not a human right. You must really be up to some dark stuff which might get the names taken down anyway. Play by the same rules we all have to and you shouldn’t have any troubles.

•••
No one can help you here if you are not following the rules.
End of the story.

•••
•••

You say they're under privacy. Why wouldn't you add your real data at the registrar? It's not like they're going to make that public.

If they mean anything to you, you want to be able to prove they're yours. Using fake data would be an issue in doing so.

Anyway, since you mention gray and black projects, I doubt you're asking at the right forum.

•••
You say they're under privacy. Why wouldn't you add your real data at the registrar? It's not like they're going to make that public.

If they mean anything to you, you want to be able to prove they're yours. Using fake data would be an issue in doing so.

Anyway, since you mention gray and black projects, I doubt you're asking at the right forum.

I don’t feel sorry for 700 gray and black projects on fake accounts, but I do feel sorry for these 14 white and clean projects. All the data on these projects is real, except for my home address! I had an unpleasant experience, when the registrar had domains (zones) registered to which free private protection did not apply. People with whom I had bad relationships found me through my phone in telegram and whois data. I am guilty of this too, I admit it, now I have become smarter, but since then I have been afraid to write the real address of my house on the Internet.

Yes you may lose, read the (ICANN link)

Also read this (ICANN link)

I have read the information on your links. They do not require a home address, they require a postal address. I can easily provide the mailing address. This could be the address of any post office in my city, which I use to receive letters and parcels.

Last edited:
•••
I am glad everyone is telling you the same thing, put accurate data, no fake data, no need to keep explaining.

Likely, by using fake data means you are using someone else's address without consent, only scammers do this.

You can use accurate business address or post box, physical or virtual. A business address can be verified and can be linked back to you and your accurate private home address. No fake details.

•••
I am glad everyone is telling you the same thing, put accurate data, no fake data, no need to keep explaining.

Likely, by using fake data means you are using someone else's address without consent, only scammers do this.

You can use accurate business address or post box, physical or virtual. A business address can be verified and can be linked back to you and your accurate private home address. No fake details.

I'm not a scammer, I'm paranoid, I don't even trust the private protection of registrars. If I wanted to commit fraud, I would make completely fake data, it is very easy to do.
I don't have a business/business address, but ICANN rules say I can use a postal address. Is this the address of the post office where I receive mail and parcels, or is this again the address of my home where the courier delivers mail and parcels?

•••
I'm not a scammer, I'm paranoid, I don't even trust the private protection of registrars. If I wanted to commit fraud, I would make completely fake data, it is very easy to do.
I don't have a business/business address, but ICANN rules say I can use a postal address. Is this the address of the post office where I receive mail and parcels, or is this again the address of my home where the courier delivers mail and parcels?
I would assume a PO box would work just fine.

•••
There can certainly be legitimate reasons to hide your information, outside any scammy motivations.

The address is just a place to receive mail. It doesn't need to be your residence.

This could be an office, UPS Store box, PO box, etc.

I would personally suggest getting a box at a UPS store or similar. That provides an actual street address unlike a PO Box.

Then, get a phone number via Skype, Google, etc. and use that instead of your actual phone number, unless you want to be inundated with spam calls.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

You can use a PO box without issues. ICANN isn't the problem.

The problem is usually the registrar and how/when/why their fraud protection system kicks in.

They may have a different TOS/Rules.

Thick whois data and account data is stored at the registrar, not ICANN.

•••
There can certainly be legitimate reasons to hide your information, outside any scammy motivations.

The address is just a place to receive mail. It doesn't need to be your residence.

This could be an office, UPS Store box, PO box, etc.

I would personally suggest getting a box at a UPS store or similar. That provides an actual street address unlike a PO Box.

Then, get a phone number via Skype, Google, etc. and use that instead of your actual phone number, unless you want to be inundated with spam calls.

Brad

There are no problems with phone and email, I use a separate email and a separate phone number for these domains. The only problem is the address. I don't have an office or company. The box in the UPS store is an interesting idea, but I don’t know if there is UPS in my country and I’m sure that this postbox is paid and expensive. I can indicate the address of the nearest post office where I receive letters and parcels, but this is national post, and not just my personal one. I receive parcels from Aliexpress there. If the registrar asks me to prove my home address, then I can show a utility check or bank statement, although most normal registrars don’t even check documents. It looks like I’ll have to listen to the advice of the majority, trust private protection and write a real address in these 5 accounts (for 14 domains), although I really don’t like this idea.

•••
You can use a PO box without issues. ICANN isn't the problem.

The problem is usually the registrar and how/when/why their fraud protection system kicks in.

They may have a different TOS/Rules.

That's because providing your data to the registrar is not only for registering domains but also for the invoice, and if you provide fake data for the invoice it can be a fiscal crime, and additionally might put the registrar in breach of fiscal rules for issuing such an invoice.

•••
You can use a po box (completely legit, rent from your national post company, they surely have them), you can use voip number (I still receive spam on my whois phone from 20+ years ago), I even learned last year you can use a pseudonym on the whois (I always provide real name on my billing anyway).
Because I'm EU based my whois info was automatically hidden years ago, privacy is important here, you don't need to be doing something wrong to value it.
I never did anything shady but I wouldn't want my home address attached to thousands of my domains, some criminals would like to extort me.

Last edited:
•••
This could be the address of any post office in my city, which I use to receive letters and parcels.
It's been one of those days so I have not read the whole thread in case this has been covered.

I've used a po box for ALL my business correspondence as well as a separate one for my personal...for 30+ years. Many domain regs and transactions over 2 decades with no problems.

Whether you are homeless by choice (something I'm working towards) or due to financial reasons, get a po box at a shipping store or local post office and problem solved.

•••
You can use a po box (completely legit, rent from your national post company, they surely have them), you can use voip number (I still receive spam on my whois phone from 20+ years ago), I even learned last year you can use a pseudonym on the whois (I always provide real name on my billing anyway).
Because I'm EU based my whois info was automatically hidden years ago, privacy is important here, you don't need to be doing something wrong to value it.
I never did anything shady but I wouldn't want my home address attached to thousands of my domains, some criminals would like to extort me.

I have 3 options now.
1) Leave everything as it is (fake home address)
2) Replace the fake home address in these 5 accounts with a real one, trusting in private protection.
3) Rent a postbox from a national company, but I don’t know if this is possible in my country, how much will I have to pay for it and is it necessary to do this for the sake of 14 domains? These are still not sites on the level of Facebook, Reddit, TikTok, YouTube, Binance, Aliexpress, Amazon, eBay, etc.
I think I'm having an attack of paranoia. I have many fake accounts with these 5 registrars, none of them have ever even checked my passport, let alone proof of my home address. And no one has ever been interested in these five accounts, and even if the registrars want to check my passport and my face via video, then in my passport my address is written in my language. I don’t think anyone is interested in this little thing, I’m worrying in vain.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back