Domain Empire

Can you tell me what mistakes you made in domain investing

NameSilo
Watch

andrewwilliams54323

Account Suspended (Warnings)
Impact
Can you tell me what mistakes you made in domain investing because mistakes teach us a lot?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think probably the biggest mistake I've made in the past and maybe still make today is buying names that I like but almost nobody else would want.

We have to remember that the whole point of what we're doing is to sell names to someone else for more than we bought them so when buying we need to think "would someone build a business on this name?", "yes it's a popular saying but is it too negative to do anything with?".

Another mistake which kinda ties in with the above is not knowing when to let go of a name. Been renewing it for 5-10 years with zero interest? Maybe don't keep renewing it?

•••
I had offers on domains I should have accepted but passed on at the time.

•••
At the beginning believing, My Country code .co.uk, and .Net and .Org, .info .biz made for good .com substitutes. I was picky and careful about the wording + extension pairings but the market just wasn't interested

Last edited:
•••
I think probably the biggest mistake I've made in the past and maybe still make today is buying names that I like but almost nobody else would want.

We have to remember that the whole point of what we're doing is to sell names to someone else for more than we bought them so when buying we need to think "would someone build a business on this name?", "yes it's a popular saying but is it too negative to do anything with?".

Another mistake which kinda ties in with the above is not knowing when to let go of a name. Been renewing it for 5-10 years with zero interest? Maybe don't keep renewing it?
Thanks a lot for telling me about your mistakes and I learn from your mistakes

•••
•••
At the beginning believing, My Country code .co.uk, and .Net and .Org, .info .biz made for good .com substitutes. I was picky and careful about the wording + extension pairings but the market just wasn't interested
Thanks mate for sharing your mistake

•••
Last edited:
•••
I never made any mistakes. I checked with my wife before doing anything.

•••
Everyone, please share their mistakes as much as possible because in this thread every person will read and learn from your mistakes

Please keep sharing your mistakes

•••

After the biggest mistake it's all peanuts, right? )))

•••
•••
You must have a very intelligent wife and time to wait for her before taking decision to buy domains

•••
1. Selling at the wrong time.
2. Not sticking to my price.
3. Buying at the wrong time.
4. Holding domains for too long.
5. Not accepting offers I should have.
6. Buying into trends.
7. Not keeping accurate records of domain financials.
8. Needed to learn to drop domains.

•••
1. Selling at the wrong time.
2. Not sticking to my price.
3. Buying at the wrong time.
4. Holding domains for too long.
5. Not accepting offers I should have.
6. Buying into trends.
7. Not keeping accurate records of domain financials.
8. Needed to learn to drop domains.
Thanks a lot for sharing your mistakes

•••
I started buying them before I fully understood what was valuable and what wasn't. I also bought a one-word .BIZ domain that seemed good, but I couldn't even give it away (I wouldn't recommend buying any .BIZ domain unless it's exceptionally good). Fortunately, I capped my spending at $15 per domain for a long time, so the risk was relatively small.

•••
I started buying them before I fully understood what was valuable and what wasn't. I also bought a one-word .BIZ domain that seemed good, but I couldn't even give it away (I wouldn't recommend buying any .BIZ domain unless it's exceptionally good). Fortunately, I capped my spending at $15 per domain for a long time, so the risk was relatively small.
Thanks a lot

•••
In retrospect, my biggest mistake was getting into domain investing.

•••
Y
In retrospect, my biggest mistake was getting into domain investing.
O Yeah, So why are you hare you can leave now

•••
And please keep sharing your mistakes because everyone will learn from this thread

•••
My biggest mistake is that I start it late, I have to start it early

•••
My bog mistake is that i stick to squadhelp and it took very long time with no income .

•••
Buying and even renewing rubbish names and other usual mistakes are par for the course, but my greatest mistake has been selling too cheap and thinking that I could make it up in volume (profitwise). I was trying to be competitive (which is pointless when you're selling unique assets) and concentrated on not losing a sale because of a ”high” price, not realizing that I could also lose a sale by pricing too low. Price signals value and quality, especially to some people and to some extent (I’m not talking about moonshots here).

•••
My bog mistake is that i stick to squadhelp and it took very long time with no income .
I have also Invested into SH since some months , But doesnt seem promising the Views and Shortlists are Decreasing everyday, What about Brandbucket is it the same as squadhelp , did that give you income

Last edited:
•••
I'm lazy to do more outbound, I do understand that end users don't even know about domain marketplaces and they don't have a clue how to use them, so I should kindly promote myself more often.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back