Dynadot

Cancel GoDaddy Auction having Bids??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

piraterules

Impact
Hi guys :hi:

I am quite new to domaining so please guide me. I listed a domain in Godaddy auctions but forgot to set a reserve.

The auction has 9-10 bidders and is ending in next few hours. But I have already got a buyer who is willing to buy at a higher price than I will get from selling on GD. So please guide me how to cancel the auction as I don't want to sell it a lower price.

THanks for reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think you should honor the sale.

You can tell the buyer who is willing to pay more that it is on auction.... and tell him to bid there. He will pay up to the max he was going to pay you, so no worries there. If he gets it for less, at least you were fair to all parties involved.

•••
I think you should honor the sale.

You can tell the buyer who is willing to pay more that it is on auction.... and tell him to bid there. He will pay up to the max he was going to pay you, so no worries there. If he gets it for less, at least you were fair to all parties involved.

Thanks for your reply. Buyer doesnt know anything about godaddy auctions and he will get that domain for much less price compared to what he is willing to pay now. Anything else I can do? Can I push the domain to some other account/registrar and stop this auction?

•••
I agree with NS. You should honor the sale.

Also, seeing as you're new to domaining, how do you know the higher offer is legitimate? Did it come through email? Did it also ask to list your other domains for sale by any chance? Was the domain registered with GoDaddy?

There is a common appraisal scam that goes around for newly registered domains. Make sure the higher offer is not one of those.

Even if it is legit, you need to contact that person and tell them to bid on the name at auction. If it's a brand new name and it's getting 9-10 bids already, I would count my blessings and take whatever it sells for.

•••
Thanks for your reply. Buyer doesnt know anything about godaddy auctions and he will get that domain for much less price compared to what he is willing to pay now. Anything else I can do? Can I push the domain to some other account/registrar and stop this auction?

If are able to push the domain to another account, or transfer it to another registrar, you will still have to uphold your end of the auction agreement.

I believe you can list your domain at GD for auction even if the domain is not held with Godaddy. I have never done this though. From my understanding, it's the agreement which you made when listing the domain for auction at Godaddy that counts the most. Godaddy could close your auction account with them if you do this.

You could possibly cancel the auction, but you have so many bidders (9 or 10 people), and it's ending today. You would need to contact Godaddy telephonically to find out if it is possible at this point-they will probably say no. I know cancelling on day 1 or 2 of a 7 day auction is common at GD, but then there's probably one bid or no bids at all so GD support or your rep could cancel it. It's much less painful to all parties involved than what you want to do.

But you waited so long. Why? Because you were hoping that somehow towards the end, the auction may pan out as envisioned? But it didn't, so now you don't want to go through with it? You took a risk, and made choices, so now you have to stick to the agreement.

If you cancel this auction, the bidders are gonna be pissed. They'll complain, might even list you as an untrustworthy seller on forums or blogs.

Godaddy will be pissed because you used their platform and resources for a "free market appraisal" and to generate interest in the domain, and now want to cut them out on a potential sale.

•••

It is exactly as NS posted...honor the sale. Why flush your reputation as a [new] domainer right down the proverbial toilet over a few extra bucks? It’s not worth it. Ending the auction early could result in a loss of the sale completely, or far more.

All your buyer needs to know is how to find your name auction so he can place his bid/s. I would be willing to bet the person is probably well aware of GD auctions, especially if he suddenly wants to buy on the sly. Send your alleged new buyer the link to your auction, then sit back and watch your money be made.

Also, if he is a serious buyer and outbids the other bidders it could start a bidding war, which may drive the price higher than even you anticipated. Realistically, you have no way of knowing the final price until the actual close of auction. More often than not the most active time in any auction are the final moments. It is a bit premature to worry about price, especially if there are several hours remaining. IMO.

In the end, if it sells for less that is simply part of the risk involved with domaining, and part of the anxiety and fun of auctions. Plus, as NS already stated, you were fair to all parties, which is the most important aspect as a domainer, businessman, and person. Again, IMO.

Do report back how it ends. Good luck.

•••

Take all the good advice here.

The domaining world is small, and once you have earned a bad reputation, it will always stay with you.

•••
I agree with RevolutionaryDomains. Piss of your higher buyer who doesn't know about GD Auctions, rather than piss off GoDaddy who will cancel your auction account for life. And let be a lesson to you. Your reputation in GD Auctions is worth more than pissing off a single buyer. The best you can do is apologize for the mixup and give him the link to your Auction, where he is likely to buy it at a lower price.

•••
Wow so many helpful replies. Thank guys I followed your advice and decided to sell it at auction price. The private buyer who was interested now told me he changed his mind and was no longer interested in that domain so I made the right decision, thanks to this wonderful community :D

•••
Wow so many helpful replies. Thank guys I followed your advice and decided to sell it at auction price. The private buyer who was interested now told me he changed his mind and was no longer interested in that domain so I made the right decision, thanks to this wonderful community :D

I'm glad that you followed through with the sale!

For that, I've rep'd you.

It also worked out in your favor!

Congrats on the sale. :tu:

•••
Hi,

Can we cancel a domain listing (reserve not met) in 7 days auction at Godaddy.com?

Thank you for your help.
Sinh

•••
Hi,

Can we cancel a domain listing (reserve not met) in 7 days auction at Godaddy.com?

Thank you for your help.
Sinh
Yes! You may cancel the auction if reserve not met .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back